Good year to pick a safety in later rounds

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
With a top tier talent at QB in the bag, there are two positions of need that we have a solid shot of filling in round 4

I think there will be a good center there, WR is thin and might have been picked over, but safeties are deep and there could be some real steels late on

I really like the sound of Justin Simmons, but haven't hsd time to watch him. There are some other very interesting small school players with solid draft grades not on this list, so please step forward with any hot tips

See attached
http://realsport101.com/2016-nfl-draft-top-10-safety-prospects/

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope Karl Joseph drops due to injury but dropping to round 4 is not likely.

I guess Deandre Houston-Carson would be next on my wish list.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope Karl Joseph drops due to injury but dropping to round 4 is not likely.

I guess Deandre Houston-Carson would be next on my wish list.

I like those, but not sure they will be there in the 4th. Deandre might well be the best FS prospect in this draft if Ramsey plays CB as expected.

This podcast is excellent... loves Houston-Carson... so you not wrong. Picks out a player who has played all over the secondary, is listed as a mid round CB on CBS prospect list, but Maycock has playing as a FS... Again, maybe gone by the 4th, but I really like prospects who were good enough to play CB - KeiVarae Russell... I am pretty high on Russell having listed to this.. again, haven't had a chance to watch anyone

http://www.rosstucker.com/podcasts/the-college-draft-with-ross-tucker/

Jrry, who do you like?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
With a top tier talent at QB in the bag, there are two positions of need that we have a solid shot of filling in round 4

I think there will be a good center there, WR is thin and might have been picked over, but safeties are deep and there could be some real steels late on

I really like the sound of Justin Simmons, but haven't hsd time to watch him. There are some other very interesting small school players with solid draft grades not on this list, so please step forward with any hot tips

See attached
http://realsport101.com/2016-nfl-draft-top-10-safety-prospects/
Your right, there are some that can be had late. And Simmons is a good example. But I would really like to see the Rams go after SS - Miles Killebrew in the 4th! I really, really Like the young man! JMHO

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I really liked TJ Green...ah well
Sean Davis outta Maryland....excellent 4th round type pick....Tyvis Powell outta the Ohio State....not Bell...Doug Middleton outta Appalachian State 6th rd
Kevin Byard from Middle Tennessee 6th rd ...KJ Dillion WV 6th rd.....Marvin Evans Utah St. udfa.....Tevin Carter Utah udfa

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Could be but with so many needed upgrades & seriously big questions on the offense would it not be smarter to go with the rather large number of well known safety DB's we have signed now? I just do not see a need @ safety with this cadre of six we have signed (McDonald, Bryant, Alexander, Barron, Davis & Joyner). If I am looking defensively... Its spending much of my precious time @ CB not another safety.

This past off season the Ram Org tied up 3 of the six safeties above pass the 2017 season. The only pending issue next March in free agency is TJ McDonald & I would think that Fisher & Snead will want to keep him a Ram. However I would think that if a Deon Bush from Miami was still on the board in the 3rd day in the 6th round that the Rams will turn their ears to look real hard at him either #190 or the #193 rd pick.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Could be but with so many needed upgrades & seriously big questions on the offense would it not be smarter to go with the rather large number of well known safety DB's we have signed now? I just do not see a need @ safety with this cadre of six we have signed (McDonald, Bryant, Alexander, Barron, Davis & Joyner). If I am looking defensively... Its spending much of my precious time @ CB not another safety.

This past off season the Ram Org tied up 3 of the six safeties above pass the 2017 season. The only pending issue next March in free agency is TJ McDonald & I would think that Fisher & Snead will want to keep him a Ram. However I would think that if a Deon Bush from Miami was still on the board in the 3rd day in the 6th round that the Rams will turn their ears to look real hard at him either #190 or the #193 rd pick.
I agree that CB, TE, C, LB are all needs, but see better talent late on at C and Safety. WR is probably our biggest need, but it looks thin this year.

I think it's a bit of a push to list Barron and Joyner as safeties. As there doesn't appear to be any interest in playing them there. Safety Is not a deep positions at present and I think FS might be a weakness if McDonald and Alexander do not fill the role

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree that CB, TE, C, LB are all needs, but see better talent late on at C and Safety. WR is probably our biggest need, but it looks thin this year.

I think it's a bit of a push to list Barron and Joyner as safeties. As there is no interest in playing them there. Safety Is far from a deep positions at present

I would agree with the WR/CB/TE/OC but see no need @ LB'er. I would also agree with you that there is no plan to play Barron or Joyner there ....however if there were an emergency @ safety both have some good experience under their belts in the pass playing both those safety posts & would be easy plug in if needed. So thus I see it far from being a push as you see it "The Tackle" ...by the way nice to read & have a chance to read your posts again ;). Its been yrs since I traveled through your other regular posting forum.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I would agree with the WR/CB/TE/OC but see no need @ LB'er. I would also agree with you that there is no plan to play Barron or Joyner there ....however if there were an emergency @ safety both have some good experience under their belts in the pass playing both those safety posts & would be easy plug in if needed. So thus I see it far from being a push as you see it "The Tackle" ...by the way nice to read & have a chance to read your posts again ;). Its been yrs since I traveled through your other regular posting forum.

You too, I hope we are heading for some celebratory times. I haven't agreed with all of their manoeuvres and picks, but they know what they are doing and that is a big improvement. Teams touted for break out often do a year later, so with a QB to improve the offence, we have enough pieces to make a push

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You too, I hope we are heading for some celebratory times. I haven't agreed with all of their manoeuvres and picks, but they know what they are doing and that is a big improvement. Teams touted for break out often do a year later, so with a QB to improve the offence, we have enough pieces to make a push
Yeah agree here too that's why I think they were very pleased with what current safeties they have collected since 2013 & made that big trade knowing that they were going to have to make the run with most of what is there now. It would appear that Fisher & Williams just do not lean or trend towards those smaller far ranging deep safeties & those ball skills (INTs) does not rise far up the scale on what they want back there.

Right now I tend to think that we will see Barron/McDonald/Alexander in heavy doses in the base defense. With both TJ & Mo interchangeable FS/SS. I can see also that if a faster deeper safety is needed @ time they have Cody who's been in this Gregg defense now going into the 3rd season ready to get some additional action.

Finally Rams drafted Bryant after injury filled Sr. season.... could be the biggest surprise in the 2016 pre season. He is a talented DB who has played a role as a Nickel safety or short-area, zone CB. Bryant is very smart DB in college who did show he understands well his keys & did react quickly when he was on the field in college. He at his best when the ball is well in front of him & could get a good long look deep in pre season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I just do not see a need @ safety with this cadre of six we have signed (McDonald, Bryant, Alexander, Barron, Davis & Joyner).
Seems like they wanted to go with what they had and look for some depth in the udfa pool. I really like Randolph out of U. of Tennessee. But, Bryant, TJ McDonald, Alexander, and Davis, our FS position seems well manned. SS is the loser of the above competition. I could see TJ return to this role if Alexander, Bryant, or Randolph prove capable. Maybe Barron returns here if needed.

I think FS might be a weakness if McDonald and Alexander do not fill the role
Christian Bryant looks like he can play. Not sure about Davis....And I believe TJ McDonald could play either safety position. I think we lose something at the LOS with him deep, however. Maybe not. Is Mo ready...
Again...there is always a need to load the secondary. I'm sure no one has forgotten the 2011 season when DB's were dropping like flies. I also believe Snisher has a knack for finding real gems in the later rounds....This was a relatively deep draft and it had the consequences of providing very good talent in the undrafted free agent pool....we have a real good db from Tennessee. Seriously

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I just do not see a need @ safety with this cadre of six we have signed (McDonald, Bryant, Alexander, Barron, Davis & Joyner).
Seems like they wanted to go with what they had and look for some depth in the udfa pool. I really like Randolph out of U. of Tennessee. But, Bryant, TJ McDonald, Alexander, and Davis, our FS position seems well manned. SS is the loser of the above competition. I could see TJ return to this role if Alexander, Bryant, or Randolph prove capable. Maybe Barron returns here if needed.

Christian Bryant looks like he can play. Not sure about Davis....And I believe TJ McDonald could play either safety position. I think we lose something at the LOS with him deep, however. Maybe not. Is Mo ready...
Again...there is always a need to load the secondary. I'm sure no one has forgotten the 2011 season when DB's were dropping like flies. I also believe Snisher has a knack for finding real gems in the later rounds....This was a relatively deep draft and it had the consequences of providing very good talent in the undrafted free agent pool....we have a real good db from Tennessee. Seriously

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Here's my present take on the safety posts with the 2016 Rams team. I expect Snead to sign Donte Whitner. I sure do not see Donte seeing much action with this current Ram team @ the strong safety position with four candidate's (TJ, Mo, Mark & Bryant) already bought & paid for. Donte, even at 31 yrs old when the regular season begins might still retained some of that early exceptional speed he possessed @ the combine 4.4 in the 40. But he does have a decade's worth of NFL wear & tear on his body.

Donte even though he has mostly played SS has always had solid playmaking abilities with the range & speed that is ideal to attack on the blitz or handle the switch-off in the deep zone. Donte is the same height as former deep safety McLeod but about 10 pounds heavier. If signed I would expect that Donte will be out starting deep safety. This move back out of the box might rejuvenate him for some real good performances in this very special Gregg Williams defense.

Meanwhile Snead will be busy preparing to find another gem to be our deep safety from these four (Gaines, Jordan, Lomax & Randolph) 2016 UDFA safety cadre:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=105811&draftyear=2016&genpos=FS
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jordan-lomax?id=2555541
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1893070/jordan-lomax
http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/player/brian-randolph/91966
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1851177/brian-randolph
http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/player/rohan-gaines/111416
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/mike-jordan?id=2556196
NFL.com stated "could be an interesting consideration at safety if a team believes he is tough enough as a tackler."

Last edited: