Good week for ESPN to rip Aaron Donald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
......eye test backs this up.

AD is incredible - but generally, if he doesn't make a splash play tackling the runner in the backfield, teams scheme against his penetration and it's one of the reasons we've struggled against the run
Re: Donald's run defense... It's one of the drawbacks of his game the way he moves laterally and sometimes catches him out of his assignment. But of course his plus plays do compensate for that and have to be considered too. Just looks to me like ESPN finally crunched some fucking film and found something they can turn into clicks. It's BS because that's been AD since he came into the league.

Now all that aside as I alluded to in another thread I do believe in a Fangio defense that his run assignment has more importance. Staley is going to be more perturbed by a DL out of position than Wade would have been, basically. So that, IMO, is what AD was alluding to when he mentioned there were some things he was working on. And as great as he is, there is certainly room for him to get even better and with his work ethic there's a good chance that happens.

Without a doubt, Donald leaving his gap to swing around an offensive lineman created some big running lanes that were exploited by offenses. Of course, that's how he makes some splash tackles for a loss plays. The Rams didn't capitalize enough after those losses letting up long yardage plays too often. I believe Staley made reference to AD having to be more disciplined knowing when to take the chances. AD is fully aware of this. So AD will have to reign it in some in the new defense.

The question is can Staley/AD control his freestyle aggressive play without hurting his playmaking ability? Sure maybe fewer tackles for loss for AD but more steady run-stopping plays for little gain can set up the defense for more third and long. IDK about the details of the new ESPN analytics but it does make sense. It will be interesting to see how AD does in his first year in Staley's defense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Without a doubt, Donald leaving his gap to swing around an offensive lineman created some big running lanes that were exploited by offenses. Of course, that's how he makes some splash tackles for a loss plays. The Rams didn't capitalize enough after those losses letting up long yardage plays too often. I believe Staley made reference to AD having to be more disciplined knowing when to take the chances. AD is fully aware of this. So AD will have to reign it in some in the new defense.

The question is can Staley/AD control his freestyle aggressive play without hurting his playmaking ability? Sure maybe fewer tackles for loss for AD but more steady run-stopping plays for little gain can set up the defense for more third and long. IDK about the details of the new ESPN analytics but it does make sense. It will be interesting to see how AD does in his first year in Staley's defense.
Yeah I think Staley & AD will find a good common ground on it. And if Staley does a great job anticipating and preparing for each opponent AD will have a good chance of knowing when he can pin his ears back which will additionally limit him being out of position.

Not even remotely worried about this and it's why I detest ESPN; they don't really help fans be better. I mean compare them to PFF (which has its own problems with accuracy) and you see that basic difference. As much reservation as I have with some of PFF's grades at least they are putting up raw opinions without trying to storyline everything for clicks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

View: https://twitter.com/NFLUK/status/1305416219445440513

Rams take on the Eagles next week. They (Birds) gave up 8 sacks against Washington.

Thus the Eagles are currently 2.5-point favorites against Los Angeles.
1600106029955.png

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Good.

It seems the more they disrespect us, the more grit we play with.

This is a team that can grind it out and that should scare the crap out of the league.

The longer they take to get savvy, the better.