Good ol' Lawrence Phillips

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
rdlkgliders with this observation:
I believe Utah just brought back the firing squad.....Can you imagine
They've brought back the firing squad because no drug manufacturer, domestic or foreign, will sell the drugs used in the lethal injection cocktail to the states who still allow the death penalty. That combined with the known problems associated with electrocution forced their hands.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
They've brought back the firing squad because no drug manufacturer, domestic or foreign, will sell the drugs used in the lethal injection cocktail to the states who still allow the death penalty. That combined with the known problems associated with electrocution forced their hands.
You would think that a government would have the ability to get it.

Alan

Legend
Dodgersrf with this:
You would think that a government would have the ability to get it.
Actually, it's only the government who can't buy it. None of the manufacturer's want their products to be associated with killing people. No pharmacies want to be associated with killing people. There used to be a couple of pharmacies that would sell those drugs to the states but they were all eventually ratted out and they stopped immediately. Most states have used up their stockpiles from before they stopped.

Anyone else with a legitimate need can still get those chemicals.

TexasRam

Legend
If we spent less time and energy on the draft and more time on video taping, scrambling opposing teams headset signals, and deflating footballs we could have 5 Super Bowls by now

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Actually, it's only the government who can't buy it. None of the manufacturer's want their products to be associated with killing people. No pharmacies want to be associated with killing people. There used to be a couple of pharmacies that would sell those drugs to the states but they were all eventually ratted out and they stopped immediately. Most states have used up their stockpiles from before they stopped.

Anyone else with a legitimate need can still get those chemicals.

The pharmacies that make them are in Europe and it's the European Commission that has imposed the ban. Death penalty states are scrambling and are using more untested alternatives...or bullets.

Alan

Legend
CodeMonkey with more of the story:
The pharmacies that make them are in Europe and it's the Europe Commission that has imposed the ban. Death penalty states are scrambling and are using more untested alternatives...or bullets.
With some really disastrous results too. Took one guy over 45 minutes to die. Moaning the whole time.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
With some really disastrous results too. Took one guy over 45 minutes to die. Moaning the whole time.
That's right. You'd think it wouldn't be so hard to kill someone. I mean, people kill themselves every day on a "good" dose of heroin.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What's your view of the big picture?
Either find a way to make parents perfect (doubtful), or throw some serious $$$ at child protective services....this guy was almost turned around, but he'd been in his home too long...I'd heard about Phillips as an 18 year old...by then he was already ....taught how to solve his problems with violence...

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
It's amazes me how smart some people get when they can use a hindsight mulligan

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now, I'm not pro or anti death penalty but....

I wonder how long it took for the person he/she killed to die.

Just sayin'...
;)

Moostache

Rookie
IF people want to keep the death penalty then we should stop the nonsense about being "humane"...killing another human being is an inherently inhumane act, period. Just roll out a guillotine and be done with it. Or hire a swordsman and dress him in black and then put the whole sick proceeding on pay-per-view. In this sick ass society that would likely out sell Pacquio-Whitaker...and like George Carlin suggested in jest decades ago, they would probably end up with numbered holes for the head to roll into and gamble on it to boot.

Alan

Legend
Rmfnlt with empathy for the victim:
I wonder how long it took for the person he/she killed to die.
Understood. I'm of the opinion that we need to be better as a society than the murderer though. Plus, there's that annoying Eighth Amendment to the Constitution to consider.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
IF people want to keep the death penalty then we should stop the nonsense about being "humane"...killing another human being is an inherently inhumane act, period. Just roll out a guillotine and be done with it. Or hire a swordsman and dress him in black and then put the whole sick proceeding on pay-per-view. In this sick ass society that would likely out sell Pacquio-Whitaker...and like George Carlin suggested in jest decades ago, they would probably end up with numbered holes for the head to roll into and gamble on it to boot.

Nah, that's a waste. Gives them too much attention. If you really want to execute people who deserve it, just plug them in the head and dump their corpse in the sea. No need to be a sadist about it; it just wastes too much time.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Nah, that's a waste. Gives them too much attention. If you really want to execute people who deserve it, just plug them in the head and dump their corpse in the sea. No need to be a sadist about it; it just wastes too much time.

I can see it both ways ....

1. We don't want to give the spotlight to sadists who crave it.

but

2. If putting executions on PPV paid for the tax money that currently goes to the investigation, prosecution, trial costs, appeal costs, and incarceration costs - then it may not be so bad to recoup some $$

The real question is - are we a bunch of sickos for wanting to see stuff like that or are we a bunch of sickos because we have access to see stuff like that.

I have always thought that a bullet to the temple was preferable to the cost of a lethal injection or electrocution ....

still - the way we - as a society - apply the death penalty is shameful. We have executed countless innocent people - and there is just no coming back from that. Perhaps the entire process of a capital trial should be scrapped and rebuilt with a guilt beyond any doubt standard. But even then, it would rely on people, and people are imperfect.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Friendless Lawrence Phillips calls prison 'jungle' with 'trouble everywhere'

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...lockdown-murder-cellmate?eadid=SOC/Twi/SNMain

Former NFL running back Lawrence Phillips says in letters to his high school coaches that he has "zero friends" in prison.

Phillips, 40, is serving a 31-year sentence following a 2009 assault conviction. He's also suspected of killing his cellmate, a 37-year-old former gang member serving 82 years for first-degree murder.

327562-650-366.jpg

Lawrence Phillips in 1998 (Getty Images)

In letters to his former high school coaches, Phillips painted a horrifying picture of an overcrowded prison rampant with drugs and weapons. The letters were obtained by USA Today Sports and reveal Phillips' accounts of prison life, which include a constant state of "lock down" for assaults, stabbings, murders and racial tension.

"We have been in lock down about 80 percent of the time," Phillips wrote to Ty Pagone, Phillips' vice principal and coach at Baldwin Park (Calif.) High School. "You would be surprised at what these altercations are about! Nonsense! But when your world is this small all one has to care about is nonsense. That is why I do not want any of these idiots in the cell with me."

Phillips wrote in a separate letter that Kern Valley State Prison in Delano, Calif., has "trouble everywhere" and "is a jungle."

Phillips helped lead Nebraska to consecutive national championships in 1994 and 1995. He was the sixth overall pick in the 1996 NFL Draft by the Rams, but washed out of the league by 1999 following a string of off-field issues.

He also wrote to former Baldwin Park coach Tony Zane, telling him last July that prison life is "completely nuts" and "pretty much a free for all."

A month earlier he told Pagone that he would steer clear of the unrest.

"All they they want to do is the drugs, make knives and make alcohol," Phillips wrote to Pagone in June 2014. "Then they say when they get out they will not come back. I tell them of course you will. You are doing the same thing that got you locked up. Of course they do not want to hear that. It is like speaking to a brick wall.

"Now I understand how people must have felt talking to me. So needless to say I have zero friends inside here. Not one person is in line with my way of thinking.

"Well that’s all from here, Pagone. I will stay out of trouble. I might have to endure some write-ups for refusing a cell mate though. Better that than them getting me into serious trouble."

Less than a year later, Phillips was unable to avoid it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/ex-...ying-letters-from-jail-this-place-is-a-jungle

search.png

Ex-NFL running back Lawrence Phillips sends terrifying letters from prison: 'This place is a jungle'

By Josh Peter 15 hours ago

c01_phillips_court__ap_02_73466598-1-e1433245336313.jpg

(AP Photo/Anne Cusack)

The handwritten letters have arrived with the same return address: Lawrence Phillips G-31982, Kern Valley State Prison, P.O. Box 5101, Delano, CA 93216.

Yes, that Lawrence Phillips.

The star running back on University of Nebraska’s national championship teams in 1994 and 1995. A first-round pick, sixth overall, in the 1996 NFL draft. A convicted felon — sentenced to 31 years for driving his car into three teenagers and assaulting an ex-girlfriend — under suspicion for the recent death of his cellmate in a maximum-security prison 140 miles north of Los Angeles.

Authorities have said little about the investigation since finding the body of Damien Soward, a former gang member serving 82 years to life for first-degree murder, unresponsive in his cell on April 11. That same day, a second inmate was named as a suspect in the death of his cellmate in the prison designed to hold fewer than 2,500 inmates but that currently houses more than 3,700 inmates, a prison spokesman said.

Phillips, 40, appealing his sentence, has made no public comment outside of the courtroom in more than a decade. But USA TODAY Sports obtained copies of letters he has written over the past 18 months that offer insight into his state of mind and situation.

He wrote several of the letters to Tony Zane, who coached Phillips at Baldwin Park High School in Southern California. Phillips transferred to the school before his junior year, and Zane recalled starting him at wide receiver, rather than running back, in the season opener. “Shows you what I know,” Zane said with a chuckle.

Zane moved Phillips to running back that next game, and Phillips helped transform Baldwin Park into a powerhouse as the coach and player developed a strong and lasting relationship. Zane said he has regularly sent Phillips care packages that have included everything from a TV to gym shorts to snacks.

Here are Phillips’ letters to Zane and other coaches. (They have been edited for length and clarity.)

JAN. 14, 2014

Dear Coach Zane,
How are you doing? I’m doing well. As you might have noticed on the envelope, I have been moved from the cell I was in. I spent some days in the hole for refusing to room with a gang member. They have now took my privileges, which include yard (exercise), canteen, vendor packages, and all personal property for 180 days. I will of course appeal this decision as I was refusing to room with gang members after already having had incidents with gang members.
At any rate, I just wanted to write to you and let you know in case that the package I requested was returned. I have not received any mail since moving, so I do not know if you sent the package. They are supposed to re-route mail, but they usually don’t check and make sure they guy in the cell is the correct guy to receive the mail. At any rate, I will appeal the situation and I should get relief due to my several incidents involving gang members.
We are on lock down at this time due to a murder and the stabbing of five other dudes.
I hope you and your family are well and had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Several letters have been written to Ty Pagone, a retired vice principal and former football coach at Baldwin Park High. Phillips was living at a boys home when he transferred to Baldwin Park and Pagone helped Phillips get on track academically so Phillips would be eligible to accept college scholarships. Phillips and Pagone, a close friend of Zane, also developed a close relationship.

MAY 29, 2014

Dear Coach Pagone,
We are still today on lock down due to some stabbings and assaults between black and white inmates. It has been ongoing for sometime.
I am glad to hear Marie’s wedding was great. Usually an open bar leads to a lot of dancing.
I do not have a cell mate. All of these dudes want to use drugs and (illegible) weapons in the cell. I’m in the process of applying for single-cell status. I will let you know how that goes.

xxx__lawrence_phillips_4923_73471472-e1433245283917.jpg

A letter written by Lawrence Phillips

JUNE 15, 2014
Dear Coach Pagone,
I received your letter and package a day apart. We do get the packages in lock down as the companies do not really want the items back.
We have been in lock down about 80% of the time. You would be surprised at what these altercations are about! Nonsense! But when your world is this small all one has to care about is nonsense. That is why I do not want any of these idiots in the cell with me.
All they they want to do is the drugs, make knives and make alcohol. Then they say when they get out they will not come back. I tell them of course you will. You are doing the same thing that got you locked up. Of course they do not want to hear that. It is like speaking to a brick wall.
Now I understand how people must have felt talking to me. So needless to say I have zero friends inside here. Not one person is in line with my way of thinking.
Well that’s all from here, Pagone. I will stay out of trouble. I might have to endure some write-ups for refusing a cell mate though. Better that than them getting me into serious trouble.

ap_c11g1eddie14_6p3_x_10_lines_487013-e1433245584550.jpg

(AP Photo/James A. Finley)

JULY 6, 2014

Dear Coach Zane,
I hear you were in Hawaii. I am sure you had a good time. Remember when we went out there and kicked their butt in the all-star game and they tried to hold up our bus and all that crap? Good times.
Well there is not much happening here. We are still on lock down because they found a hacksaw in someone’s cell. Apparently people use the saw to cut up the bunks and make knives. It is completely nuts in here. It is pretty much a free for all.
SEPT. 14, 2014

Dear Coach D,
Huskers kicked butt out there. I only listened to the radio. The game was not televised here. (Nebraska running back Ameer Abdullah) has a real chance at the Heisman and the Huskers could win the Big 10, although the Big 10 is a bit watered down with the injury to O-State Q.B. (Braxton Miller).
NFL is going through some stuff. Unfair to blame the NFL for what guys do. … These misdeeds by the players (are) being used by the liberal parties and the media to further their particular interests. Next they will be forcing out owners like they did with the Los Angeles Clippers owner (Donald Sterling).
Well, there is nothing new happening here. We are still locked down. One of the guards was assaulted so it may be awhile. Coach D, this place is a jungle. Trouble everywhere. One must swallow his pride constantly or one will always be in the hole. But we must deal with the situation we put ourselves in.

xxx__lawrence_phillips_4922_73471470-e1433245447897.jpg

APRIL 9, 2015

Dear Coach Pagone,
I was able to get the necessary paper to prove that the court had made a mistake in closing my case in appeal. I was not informed of the ruling by the court and could not have responded in time.
When I refer to prison lawyers, I am referring to guys who have been incarcerated for 20-30 years and have been in the courts for most of those years. They pretty much have a top notch legal education.
Once you have been out of the hole for a certain amount of time you are cleared for a lower security prison. I have been cleared but I have not been moved. There are many people in this same boat. They say it is due to the overcrowding.
On the Level IV yards, which is the highest level, not many people go home. Most have life or 30-40-50 years and in some cases 350 years. So not much new space opens. Hopefully my time will come soon.

Three days after sending this letter to Pagone, the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, announced Phillips was a suspect in the death of his cellmate.

MAY 3, 2015

Dear Coach D,
How are you doing coach? I am doing well.
As far as the package, due to my current situation I may not be allowed it. So if you have not already sent the package do not send it.
I cannot speak of the situation here but I am alright. Please let anyone know who asks you that.
I hear Husker spring practices are a little more spirited. That is a plus. I do not think teams will ever practice how we practiced. … If a team ever comes back to that mentality, they will crush the college ranks.
Alright Coach D, that’s all from here.

B8282044.111892476;sz=1x1;ord=1289632944