GOOD MORNING FOOTBALL - Should Rams take a RB by committee approach to keep Todd Gurley fresh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'd like to see a 60-40% approach for 2019, with Brown and Henderson splitting the 40. If we need to adjust for 2020, so be it. jmo.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Todd would not like to get pulled after games are decided. I hate seeing him in taking shots in the second half with the Rams up by 3 scores.

oldnotdead

Legend
No need to over react to media guys who don't understand or don't want to understand the actual condition Gurley has. Manage means simply don't burden him unnecessarily. Big lead, sit him. Use Brown or Henderson on some of the passing downs. Brown because he's a better pass blocker and Henderson because that what he was drafted for. I can see Todd getting 75-80% of his previous workload and that isn't RB by committee.

All 3 of the Rams RBs, i.e. Gurley, Brown and Henderson are different types of backs so RB by committee really isn't practical. Gurley is a complete all around elite RB. Brown is a better pass blocker and is more of a power back who is fast but lacks the breakaway speed Gurley has. Henderson isn't a bell cow type RB no matter what the media talking heads say. He's a situational RB in the mold of a 3rd down back.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
GMFB Lottery Game This Morning: The question was: "The ______ are the most underated team this season"
Kyle Brandt, who just a week ago (or so) said that he believed Todd Gurley would be ok and do well this season, said today: "Let the Rams do their thing. Russell Wilson is the best QB in the NFC West. I'm gonna say it right now that the Seahawks are gonna win the NFC West."

So, Gurley will be his rampaging self with a healthy recieving core and a QB that passed for 4600+ yards,32 TD's last season getting them the ball...Yet the Hawks will win the NFC West, eh Kyle you stupid MotherF*(^@$?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
By the halfway point in the season these guys will be discussing the Rams' RB controversy. We're gonna be just fine with Henderson added to the depth as we will be able to rest TG and still get great production.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
By the halfway point in the season these guys will be discussing the Rams' RB controversy. We're gonna be just fine with Henderson added to the depth as we will be able to rest TG and still get great production.
Two Headed Monster in LA. Can it get any better? ~LA Times in November

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I remember Gurley saying running routes and catching passes is less strain on his body that running the ball up the gut. I don't see them actually using running back by committee, but I can see them giving more touches to Brown and Henderson. Possibly a few more plays with Brown on first and second down. Maybe Gurley more as a 3rd down back with Henderson getting some snaps there too. Nothing drastic. Maybe cutting Gurley's snaps by 20 percent or something like that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@snackdaddy Gurley had 825 snaps last season which has him up there in the top group even without playing the last two games. As an example Saquon Barkley finished with 853, to include 116 snaps in those two games Gurley was held out at the end of the season.

Rams can EASILY reduce his snap count and still have him impacting games. I suspect it will be pretty drastic, and with the plan to ensure Gurley is fresh and available for the playoffs.

Ram65

Legend
If Gurley gets 18 touches a game that gives him 288 for the season which seems reasonable. Rams need to play it smart as mentioned by not having him play when Rams have a comfortable lead. Rams need to get Gurley in the flow of the game early to establish the run game. Let Brown give him a breather on a couple of series a game or after long gains. Let Henderson take some pass plays and a few runs too. Rams can manage Gurley without much change in game effects.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I remember Gurley saying running routes and catching passes is less strain on his body that running the ball up the gut. I don't see them actually using running back by committee, but I can see them giving more touches to Brown and Henderson. Possibly a few more plays with Brown on first and second down. Maybe Gurley more as a 3rd down back with Henderson getting some snaps there too. Nothing drastic. Maybe cutting Gurley's snaps by 20 percent or something like that.

Gurley still has to do a bit of everything though to keep the D honest. If they know every time that 30 is in the game he's going to run a route then we are not going to be very good.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
@snackdaddy Gurley had 825 snaps last season which has him up there in the top group even without playing the last two games.

Rams can EASILY reduce his snap count and still have him impacting games.

If he was to play those 2 games in which he was held back, spreading out all of those touches, the load would already be lessened. A healthy, 16 game Gurley with only, say, 800 touches would be easy to absorb without really diminishing his presence.

Let's not make the mistake of assuming this offense can just cruise along regardless of how much Gurley is used. He is feared by opponents, our other RBs are not.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he was to play those 2 games in which he was held back, spreading out all of those touches, the load would already be lessened. A healthy, 16 game Gurley with only, say, 800 touches would be easy to absorb without really diminishing his presence.

Let's not make the mistake of assuming this offense can just cruise along regardless of how much Gurley is used. He is feared by opponents, our other RBs are not.

The concern isn't just his snaps per game. It is also his freshness for the playoffs.

And it's not a mistake to think this offense can cruise without him. Him being feared doesn't matter when the other guys can make plays too.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I wouldn't even mind Kelly getting a few snaps once the game is decided.

But I actually agree that Gurley should take less snaps, like 60% for Gurley, 40% everyone else, but primarily Brown and Henderson.