Good article on what players consider during Free Agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...agents-sign-money-location-familiarity-matter

Seven factors that affect where free agents sign
Matt BowenESPN Staff Writer

In NFL free agency, cash is king, location matters and state taxes come into play. Do you want to wake up and shovel the driveway in Buffalo when it's 5 degrees outside or wear flip-flops and live on the beach year-round in Miami? Play in California? Man, those state taxes are no joke when they chop up your signing bonus. Where did all my money go? Yikes.

Those are just a few of the things on the minds of NFL players as they prepare to hit the free-agent market this week. Sure, money always talks, and we will get into that. But what other factors weigh into the decision-making process for players as they get ready to sign a new deal with a new a team in a new city? This is a life-changing move for players and their families. And the selection process runs deep.

Let's take a look at free agency from the perspective of an NFL player about to jump into the open market. It's college recruiting all over again -- but with bags of money and massive opportunities to further a career.

Money talks
Take the money. Take all of it. That's the best advice I could give to a player hitting free agency this week. You've made it to the market, so now it's time to cash in. And I know how that sounds. It's greedy, right? It's guys playing for the check. Where did the passion for the game and the loyalty go? I get it. From an outside perspective, it looks, well, pretty selfish when a guy goes for the big payday instead of staying in town at a lesser deal with his original club.

But I also know how players view management. In reality, there is no such thing as loyalty in the NFL. Players don't trust the front office, and that will never change. Given the number of players who get cut loose every offseason (while under contract), this is the time to get as much loot as you can before eventually being shown the door for good.

Careers are short, players get seriously banged up in the NFL and those "prime years" create a tight window of opportunity. For the majority of free agents, this is the one time they have some leverage. Take advantage of that. It's OK to chase the money in free agency, because there will come a time where no one will pay you to play ball. That's the truth. Don't blast a guy for leaving for more cash. This is a high-risk, high-reward job that can't be compared to the common workplace.

i

Location matters where free agents are looking for their new team, and Buffalo's brutal winters aren't for everyone. Rick Stewart/Getty Images
Location, location, location
If the money and opportunity are somewhat equal on the market, we can expect free agents to jump at the chance to play in warmer weather or in cities that provide real entertainment off the field. The beach sells, and so do golf courses, 80-degree weather and nightlife.

Now I've played in Buffalo and Green Bay. Those are awesome football towns. And the fans reflect that. Loved it, I really did. Drink beers and play ball. That was a fit for me. But I would be lying if I wasn't a little jealous flying into Miami or Tampa or San Diego or Phoenix for road games. The sun is out, the weather is perfect, people are golfing in December and you don't have to dress for a polar excursion just to get to practice. The other top spots for free agents? Look at Atlanta, Dallas, New York or Houston (and now Los Angeles) -- cities with a lot to offer to young NFL players.

Yeah, that matters. These guys want to play ball and enjoy their time off too. They aren't robots or football machines who only think about game plans. Nah. These are some young dudes who want to see what the city has to offer in the offseason and on Friday nights during the season. I've seen the nightlife in Green Bay. It's a long wooden bar with a cold Old Milwaukee draft. And the summer starts on the Fourth of July and ends in the middle of August. In Buffalo, get a ride up to Toronto to get out in the big city. My point? It's more than just football to free agents.

The reality of state taxes
NFL players can't use the phone app from H&R Block to do their taxes this April unless they want the IRS to come after them. You need a real accountant, a guy to get through the loads of paperwork to file your taxes. You see, players are taxed for every individual game. It's not a flat rate, a deal from the government. That means you will pay different tax rates for a home game versus a road game. And free agents know this when they are selecting a team. That's eight home games where you could save some cash.

Because of that, the Cowboys, Texans, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Dolphins, Titans and Seahawks -- teams in states with no income tax -- rise up on the list of potential spots. That means more money in your pocket when the paycheck comes compared to California teams (13.3 percent state tax), the Jets and the Giants playing in Jersey (8.97 percent), the Bills in New York (8.82 percent) and even the Packers and that Wisconsin state tax (7.65 percent).

I remember playing out in San Francisco against the Niners during my rookie year in 2000. The paycheck on Tuesday? It was light. Real light compared to the home games in St. Louis with the Rams. Where did those extra bucks go? That's brutal. Welcome to the NFL, rook.

But it's also another thing to consider when picking a spot to play in free agency. You sign with the Niners, Chargers, Raiders or the new-look Rams, and it's time to pay up. Your paycheck will take a hit for every single home game. Even those garbage preseason checks. Yeah, Uncle Sam will get to those too.

i

Defensive end Malik Jackson, one of the top free agents, could end up in Jacksonville, where there is no state income tax, or Oakland, where the income tax is 13.3 percent. Dustin Bradford/Getty Images
Playing for a winner
Everyone wants to play for a winner, right? A chance at a ring? Maybe. Sometimes that is a fake narrative. Now I will say this is a factor for the older vets, the guys who have already made some real money in the NFL. I'm talking about players entering or already into their 30s. These are the proven veterans who might have a couple of good years left. That's it. And they want to have one more shot on the postseason stage to play for a Super Bowl title.

The money probably won't compare to the free agents who sign deals on the first day. That's where the majority of the cash goes. And with the cap continuing to rise, good players who hit the market get paid like Pro Bowlers. But there is still some coin left for veterans who take their time and are selective when picking a new destination. And if they are smart, they can end up on a team with a legitimate shot at making a run in 2016.

Given the parity in the NFL, there are no guarantees in today's league when it comes to picking a winner. But vets will start to look at the Patriots, Seahawks and Steelers -- teams with established coaching staffs and quarterbacks. That's the key: Nice landing spots for vets in search of a team that can compete for real.

Coaching familiarity
Familiarity with the coaching staff is important to NFL players. They want the sense of comfort and the accountability that comes with a coach they know. Because of that, players are likely to sign with a team where they have a connection. Maybe it's a former position coach or even a coordinator. Yes, every player is going to speak highly of the head coach when they sign a new deal, but those assistant coaches are the ones with whom they spend the most time.

One of the main reasons I signed with the Bills as a free agent in 2006 (besides the fact that they still wanted to pay me to play football) was the idea of working with defensive backs coach George Catavolos. He was my position coach under Steve Spurrier in Washington, and I loved playing for the man. Plus, I knew what to expect in terms of how I would be coached. From the technique to the game plan to the drills on the field, I understood what the demands were coming into Buffalo.

Again, if a team is going to offer you a treasure chest of money, you will go work for anyone and play anywhere -- even the North Pole. We all understand that. But if the contract offers are similar, a lot of free agents will sign with a team that provides some familiarity through the coaching staff.

"Careers are short, players get seriously banged up in the NFL and those 'prime years' create a tight window of opportunity. For the majority of free agents, this is the one time they have some leverage. Take advantage of that."

The playbook
This is where some careers run into a dead end and we start labeling free agents as busts because they are suddenly exposed to a new scheme and new program. Obviously, if you sign a player from a championship team or playoff squad, they aren't allowed to bring all their Pro Bowl buddies with them. That can be trouble for a player who can't produce the same numbers without the protection of superstar talent around him. And it happens every season.

With the playbook, these free agents should be selective. If you are a Cover 2 safety or a defensive back who plays in the box, don't sign with a heavy man-coverage or man-pressure team. That's not going to work when the new coaching staff tells you to man up a receiver in the slot and you get roasted over the top. Strike up the band. That's another six points -- over your head.

The point here is simple: Players want to find a new team that will cater to their skill set. Find a playbook, and a program, that puts you in a position to produce. If you don't, those massive contract numbers leaked to the media by your agent will vanish when you get cut in two years.

Family life
For the players who have families, signing with a new team is a major move. That's a game-changer when players have to scout new school districts for their children and find a new house. Does your wife work? Can she find a new job there? Are you moving farther away from extended family? Grandparents?

Now, those teams will set up players and their families. They don't have to do all this stuff on their own, but it can still be a challenge and also weigh heavily on the selection process. Players want to find a new team that also checks off all the boxes for their family needs.

For the young guys, the single cats in the league, it's time to pack a bag and go. Play football and check out the new town. Rent an apartment, a furnished one preferably, and just roll with the new program. But that's much different than moving an entire family with school still in session. And finding that perfect spot is part of the process during free agency.

ESPN.com NFL analyst Matt Bowen played seven seasons as a defensive back in the NFL.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/09/nfl-salary-cap-player-contracts-free-agency-business

The Illusions of NFL Money
Whether it’s the salary cap or player contracts, the dollars behind the deals flying around the league this week shouldn’t be taken at face value. Here’s why, plus a look at how three quarterbacks recently got paid
by Andrew Brandt

mmqb-jackson-malik.jpg

Joe Amon/Getty Images

We have heard a lot about the fact the NFL salary cap is rising at a good pace, with a roughly $12 million increase to $155 million in 2016. With reports of an average of $28 million of available cap room among the 32 NFL teams, many expect a spending bonanza on this class of free agents. Sorry to rain on the players’ parade, but good luck with that.

A $12 million spending cap increase sounds good, until you realize the reality of how that surplus is soaked up by teams. Increases on upper level veteran contracts can range from $1-5 million per year, meaning five to 10 incumbent players on any given team can account for that increase through existing contract maturations. Further, players whose contracts have been previously mortgaged have prorated charges that count against the new cap. Drew Brees, for example, has a salary of $20 million but a cap number of $30 million. That $10 million charge (due to prorated bonus amounts) uses up nearly the entire cap increase for the Saints.

Despite teams being flush with cap room, I expect free agency to be the three-part event it has become in recent years: 1) a group of eight to 10 “golden ticket” winners (such as Malik Jackson’s agreement in principle to sign with Jacksonville and Kelechi Osemele’s with Oakland) will receive market-setting contracts in the first 24-36 hours of free agency, followed by 2) a larger number of mid-level contracts in the next three to four days, followed by 3) musical chairs, with players trying to get a seat at the free agency table before the money runs out.

The pace of movement from one phase to the next seems to accelerate each year, with notable free-agent contracts dissipating by even the second or third day of free agency. There will be some eye-popping contracts that make headlines, but there won’t be many and they will go fast.

An increasing number of teams have been burned in free agency. Just look at the Eagles’ recent selloff of DeMarco Murray and Byron Maxwell, their big free-agent acquisitions just a year ago. During my time in Green Bay, I would ask this question about players on the market: “Why did their incumbent teams not sign them? What’s wrong here?” There’s usually a reason the player is on the market.

And due to the schematic nature of football, the chances of a player transferring his full abilities seamlessly into a new system are far less than in basketball or baseball. Thus, some of the most impressive contracts handed out in recent years have been to teams’ own players, deals that were leveraged by agents creating perceptions of an inflated marketplace. (Monday’s announced deal between the Colts and tight end Dwayne Allen for a reported $30 million over four years was one of those deals.)

Better cap management does not necessarily mean more spending. It can allow for teams to better structure contracts to protect the future, which is a good thing. For example, were a team and a player to agree on a contract with $20 million in the first year of a five-year deal, a team with abundant cap room could absorb most or all of that $20 million into this year’s cap rather than loading much of it into a prorated signing bonus.

Containing cap amounts in earlier contract years promotes a healthy cycle of spending flexibility. Teams like Jacksonville, Cleveland and Oakland can now give out contracts that will have minimal negative effects if things go south with a player.

For the players’ sake, let’s hope this free agency period has robust and sustained team spending. With players getting squeezed on the way into the NFL (fixed rookie contracts) and on the way out (take a look at the waiver wire over the past few weeks), this group of players is in the sweet spot. If they can’t score good contracts now, they likely never will.

Now, a look at some interesting quarterback deals that went down over the past week…

Sam Bradford
Despite the Eagles selling off most of their acquisitions from a year ago, re-signing Sam Bradford had to happen. Decisions are about options, and the team’s options beyond Bradford were limited. Thus, the Eagles turned their quarterback-lonely eyes once more to Bradford.

As noted before, the Eagles blew a painless opportunity to lock up Bradford when trading for him a year ago. In saving Bradford from either a significant pay cut with the Rams or a trade to the hapless Browns, they could have easily leveraged a contract extension around the same (or even slightly less) $13 million contract level that Bradford already had; he would have likely taken it. Once the trade was made, Bradford had no incentive to negotiate on those terms.

Now Bradford’s worst-case scenario is $22 million for one year, $2 million more than he would have received with the quarterback Franchise Tag. He receives $18 million this year—an $11 million signing bonus and $7 million salary—with a fully guaranteed $4 million next year (along with a $4 million injury-only guarantee). And if he is on the team for two years, he will receive $36 million with upside—through playoff incentives—reaching $40 million.

Bradford probably had fewer options than the team had, but the Eagles were not willing to find out if that was the case or not. Sam Bradford, the last bonus baby of the old rookie compensation system—his career earnings now at $100 million at age 28—continues to win at the business of football.

Kirk Cousins
The Redskins made a lowball offer to Cousins at the start of the Franchise Tag period, causing the Cousins camp to 1) cut off negotiations, leading to the Tag, and 2) become emboldened with a negotiations starting point of $20 million. Time will tell if the Redskins “marry” Cousins or just “date” him for the year.

The team’s perception of Cousins’ softened the usual risk in using the Franchise Tag: that the player will, in a low rumble of discontent, boycott offseason activity. The Redskins knew that Cousins was intent on running the team in the offseason for the first time and on cue, Cousins signed the one-year Tag deal right away, ensuring the presence of the team’s most important player throughout the offseason and during training camp.

It is still astounding that the quarterback for whom the Redskins mortgaged the future, Robert Griffin, was released (after they could not trade him for a ham sandwich) while the quarterback selected in the fourth round of the same draft is making $20 million. What an interesting quarterback web the Redskins have weaved.

Joe Flacco
As we will see often in the coming days and weeks of free agency, NFL contracts are not what they appear to be. This was certainly the case with this week’s contract extension for Joe Flacco, with many gasping at the numbers. Let’s briefly look at the reality.
Flacco did receive a stunning $40 million bonus ($25 million paid now, $15 million due in a year) along with a $4 million salary this year.

However, prior to the new contract, Flacco had three years remaining for $58.6 million. Now, Flacco’s earnings for the next three years—including the $44 million this year—are $62 million. Thus, for the critical first three years of the contract (only this year is guaranteed), Flacco’s grand total of new money is $3.4 million.

Things aren’t always what they appear to be. Keep that in mind over the next few days.