Gonzalez: Can the Rams' defense be a top-five unit under Wade Phillips?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Can the Rams' defense be a top-five unit under Wade Phillips?

upload_2017-6-23_9-40-53.png

Outside expectations for the Rams' defense has climbed considerably with Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator. Kirby Lee/USA TODAY Sports

By Alden Gonzalez

LOS ANGELES -- Wade Phillips has taken over nine different defenses, as a defensive coordinator or a head coach, and nearly every single one of them improved significantly in the first year. He has served a combined 34 seasons in those roles. In 18 of those seasons, his defenses finished within the top 10 in fewest yards allowed. In the last six years, three of his defenses have finished within the top five.

Will his Los Angeles Rams be next?

"I have a good feeling about this team," Phillips, the Rams defensive coordinator, said last week, when asked if his latest defense had the makings of finishing as a top-five unit. "Again, we’re only in shorts and we haven’t done anything live game-wise, which we’ll get to. I feel good with where we are right now. Comparatively to the teams that I’ve gone to in the first year, I think they’re right on par with those teams. And a lot of those teams did well.”

The Rams boast a devastating front seven, led by Aaron Donald, the game's best 3-technique lineman by a wide margin. Michael Brockers is a solid, underrated defensive tackle who lines up next to him. Veterans Robert Quinn and Connor Barwin, with a combined 104½ career sacks, are outside linebackers who will spend a significant portion of their time rushing the quarterback. Alec Ogletree and Mark Barron are two athletic, ball-hawking inside linebackers who should give Phillips a lot of flexibility.

The question is the secondary, though Phillips believes that department is "stronger than people think. I think they'll show that."

Trumaine Johnson will return as the primary corner, and on the other side the starter will probably be Kayvon Webster, who was previously buried on the depth chart on Phillips-led Broncos defenses behind elite cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Chris Harris Jr. Lamarcus Joyner will be making a transition to free safety and Maurice Alexander will return to his more comfortable role at strong safety. And outside of that the Rams have some flexibility, having added a solid slot corner in Nickell Robey-Coleman through free agency and a talented free safety in John Johnson through the draft.

Defense was a staple for the Rams under former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who is now with the Browns. Last year's numbers -- 16th in rushing yards allowed, 10th in passing yards allowed, 23rd in points allowed -- don't necessarily support that. But the Rams' defense simply ran out of gas down the stretch in 2016, ultimately crippled by an offense that finished 32nd in the NFL in yards and 25th in time of possession.

Football Outsiders' latest projections had the Rams finishing with the NFL's second-best defense in 2017, behind only the division-rival Seahawks.

Phillips will simply tell you they're off to a good start.

"I couldn’t be more pleased with the guys’ attitude, No. 1, and also the ability we have," he said as the Rams were finishing their offseason program. "I think we have a lot of talented players. They’re working hard to get better, and I think we will show that in the fall when we start playing, start practicing together. We don’t make many mistakes, and they’re real aggressive and they play well as a team."

[www.espn.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Always loved Wade as a Defensive Coordinator, he's an "all shucks" type of guy who is calm, cool and collected and lulls you into a false sense of security and than, "Wham." His defense punches you right in the mouth. Only man who's been able to stop Tom Brady & Belichick in their tracks, well, him and Steve Spagnuolo, but I strongly believe in the combination of Phillips & McVay.

Last edited:

jap

Legend
Can the Rams' defense be a top-five unit under Wade Phillips?

No, they can't! Satisfied?

I'm still looking for that magical trifecta of an LA team with top five offensive, defensive, and special team units, even better #1 offensive, defensive, & special team platoons.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Son of bum gives me faith....

But I wanna see these corners in press man for meself....LOLOL

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Defense was never the problem and until the offense gets right the defense isn't going to be top 5. When the defense spends more time on the field then the offense no matter how good you are you can't play tired and gassed out

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Both Denver and NY beat the Pats with pressure from the front seven, which took tremendous pressure off of their respective secondaries. If you keep a TE, RB or both in to block, that's just plain less to cover. And when the pressure is getting there, that's just less time for a WR to do...anything.

I honestly think that with this team's defensive personnel, we're going to lock down some teams and surprise some people.

The question is offense. I think teams will blitz us like crazy until we make them play for blitzing. I don't care if it's Jared Goff, Sean Mannion or Joe Pendleton... when our QB can be part of defeating the blitz (and making plays when not blitzed), then we're going to be golden.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Always loved Wade as a Defensive Coordinator, he's an "all shucks" type of guy who is calm, cool and collected and lulls you into a false sense of security and than, "Wham." His defense punches you right in the mouth. Only man who's been able to stop Tom Brady & Belichick in their tracks, well, him and Steve Spagnuolo, but I strongly believe in the combination of Phillips & McVay.
I couldn't agree with you more Coach! I will be surprised if the Rams "D" doesn't Rank in the Top 5 at the end of the Year! The only thing that could slow them down, IMHO, is IF the Rams "O" plays poorly! Which I doubt with McVay at the helm!! All signs are pointing up!!(y):D