Gonna go out on a limb here a little bit...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I agree. I would love to see Mannion and a Rookie battle for the future, while Case starts the first 6-8 games, say 6, and goes 4-2. Mannion is then ready, jumps in and rides us to an 11-5 season and the playoffs.

Case hangs on and becomes the seasoned vet backup, and either Mannion, if he does well, or (Lynch, Cook?) rise to the top.

If Case goes 4-2 there's no way Fish pulls him.......... and you know this!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW

I was thinking the exact same thing. Unless there are injuries or a complete melt down by those ahead on the depth chart, there is no way Fish plays a rookie QB this year.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

True. A man can dream, though. :sneaky: I am not going to worry too much about QB. As long as we get a guy not pull the usual hilldavisfoles act.

At some point soon though, we need a dynamic QB to take over. I'm fine with Keenum, Mannion and______ to get an opportunity to be that guy. I would prefer Wentz.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good post RS. I agree Rams got better by subtraction. Inhouse promotions by guys off the bench seems to be working. When was the last time that other teams signed players that the Rams cut? In the last 8 or 10 years, if the Rams cut someone, they ended up out of football. Rams talent of 2nd and 3rd sting has gotten markedly better.

And I'm against rams trading away draft picks for getting A QB this year. They only have six. They already have a 3rd rounder sitting on the bench who has only played in garbage time and made a total of seven throws. Don't need another one sitting on the bench for a year.
The QB in this years draft wouldn't have been in the top 20 in any other draft. Rams have to suck it up at QB and roll with what they have.
I don't know what next years QB draft class has to offer, but there may be help in FA next year.

Last edited:

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
Mannion is going to have to battle the big boys now. Whatever QB they take gets the redshirt, unless it's some guy late rounds they think can get through waivers. That QB will be #3 on the depth chart.

It's time for Mannion to earn his job vs Keenum and Foles. If he finishes 3 then he'll be cut. But chances are he will be the Rams backup.
I'm puzzled about Mannion. We hear all the time about open competition between Keenum and Foles, but seldom mention Mannion, unless I missed something. I'm not for trading up for a qb. What I've heard often is that there isn't a qb in this draft ready to step in and start, so why spend a #1 on a project.

As far as a kicker, GZ's production has deteriorated the last couple of years. I don't see him as being dependable. I wouldn't be against spending one of our early round picks on the guy from Miami. Fairbairn, I've seen his career at UCLA and I don't have that same confidence in him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm puzzled about Mannion. We hear all the time about open competition between Keenum and Foles, but seldom mention Mannion, unless I missed something. I'm not for trading up for a qb. What I've heard often is that there isn't a qb in this draft ready to step in and start, so why spend a #1 on a project.

As far as a kicker, GZ's production has deteriorated the last couple of years. I don't see him as being dependable. I wouldn't be against spending one of our early round picks on the guy from Miami. Fairbairn, I've seen his career at UCLA and I don't have that same confidence in him.

Re: Mannion I think it's just a matter of him being an unknown. Even to the staff. They haven't seen enough of him to really know what they have. That will change in this camp, but right now they have to proceed as if he's not the answer. If he rises up and wins the starting job and kills it? Then he's our guy and we're sitting very nice with great QB depth. If he's just a guy like many think, then it's a real good thing they drafted the QB this year.

If the Rams don't move up for a QB then Aguayo could be in play. But I don't think the Rams take him round 2 or even consider him there. If it happens it's a round 3 or 4 deal where he's still there and they're happy with their QB and WR additions, like if they're sitting on something like Lynch/Boyd/Caroo, or Goff/Shepard or equivalent. The attractiveness of Fairbairn is he's got a lot of leg (Aguayo is Mr. Automatic but he's not a boomer) and he's accurate enough to warrant a draft pick. I definitely like him more than you do and think he would either make GZ get his head on straight or replace him outright and we'd be fine at kicker.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

In game 6 the Rams have a small lead, when Keenum goes down to a minor injury. Mannion comes in, and greatly expands the lead. Case isn't quite ready the next week, so Mannion comes in and leads the biggest offensive explosion for the Rams in years. Week 8 Keenum starts - but struggles and the Rams are down 10-0 at half time. Mannion starts the second half, and the Rams win 21-17.

Yes, unlikely - but there are ways for the change to happen.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
So far, the offseason feels like a bit of a net loss but we have a ton of salary cap room to work with and the offseason ain't over.
We have around $4 mil in cap space left to USE on FA's. Rest has to be used for draft, practice squad and in season needs.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams could still cut salary themselves.

Not a whole lot of deadwood to cut. Britt is needed. Kendricks is needed. Saffold maybe, but they seem to like him. Extending TruJo would save a couple of million in cap room most likely - I'm sure they're negotiating with him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Not a whole lot of deadwood to cut. Britt is needed. Kendricks is needed. Saffold maybe, but they seem to like him. Extending TruJo would save a couple of million in cap room most likely - I'm sure they're negotiating with him.
Ya'll know where i stand concerning Saffold so....yeah.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Getting a deal done with Tru would help a bit ... get that $13.9 mil. figure down for this yr......

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

If I am Tru you aren't getting much cheaper - well maybe but you likely do not want to see the guaranteed balloon the contract becomes in future years. Tru has seen the market out there, and it will go up in the future. Many experts had him higher than JJ this offseason...I can't see signing for less than what JJ got. The Rams aren't going to tag him next year again (that would be what at least 17mil), he has a good year this year and he gets JJ money - great year and he gets more on open market. Think the free agency this year actually drove his price up over what maybe you would have paid prior to tagging him....

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Even if you sign him for JJ money, the cap hit can be substantially less than $14 Mill even with a lot of front loading...