Goff’s Backup(s)?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Why not both?
Bortles likely signs a short term deal 1/2 year deal. Gordon (or any 5th-7th round drafted QB) could end up on PS

how many QB’s can they keep. Gordon might even be a udfa. So then no problem I guess ?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
how many QB’s can they keep. Gordon might even be a udfa. So then no problem I guess ?
Keep 2 on the roster and 1 on PS, you're totally right that he could be a UDFA, which is why I added the 5th to 7th rounder. I feel like McVay is going to draft a QB one of these years...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Keep 2 on the roster and 1 on PS, you're totally right that he could be a UDFA, which is why I added the 5th to 7th rounder. I feel like McVay is going to draft a QB one of these years...

I wouldn’t mind a QB like J.Hurt. He might be able to add a different dimension ?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
iron sharpens iron ~ Bournemouth Bettor

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Why not both?
Bortles likely signs a short term deal 1/2 year deal. Gordon (or any 5th-7th round drafted QB) could end up on PS
A half year for Bortles sounds great!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A half year for Bortles sounds great!

Go ahead and offer him a full year deal... but structure it such he needs to help pull weeds from the landscaping on his off days...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Why not both?
I feel like in today's NFL the best use of a QB2 spot is development.

On one hand you have Warner with the Rams or the Eagles winning it all with Foles. But on the other side of that "what happens if your backup QB has to take over" ledger there's a ton of ugly result. So overall if you lose your QB1 you're usually going to be up shit creek.

So now enter the value of starting QB pay. It is going to be harder for teams to tie up another $5M+ for a good backup when they're already putting out $30M+ for a starting signal caller. This will force teams to consider cheaper alternatives, i.e. draftees, and they will realize that having a QB developing on the roster in today's NFL might be more valuable than the extra wins you'd get from a veteran backup.

Now granted you could simply have a QB3 on your roster and eat your cake too. But is that wise to use a roster spot for that? I mean case by case and all that obviously. Still, I would prefer another young skill position or lineman.

Thus while some will tell me I am crazy I believe the future of QB2 is going to be cheap, developing labor. :D (y)

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I hope McVay signs Josh Love from San Jose State. Will be an UDFA most likely...okay arm and good under pressure...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like in today's NFL the best use of a QB2 spot is development.
Seems that the "development" QB role in today's NFL is the one on the PS.
The #2 (on teams with a true #1) is cheap vet. I agree there is little reason to spend big $$ on back up QB unless you either have doubt in your QB (Rams dont) or have injury concerns (again Rams dont)
And while I agree the season is pretty much lost if the #1 goes down, you still need a QB that is capable of running an NFL offense. A late round draft pick cant automatically take that #2 spot. Either you carry 3 QB (No thanks) or you get the kid on PS

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Seems that the "development" QB role in today's NFL is the one on the PS.
The #2 (on teams with a true #1) is cheap vet. I agree there is little reason to spend big $$ on back up QB unless you either have doubt in your QB (Rams dont) or have injury concerns (again Rams dont)
And while I agree the season is pretty much lost if the #1 goes down, you still need a QB that is capable of running an NFL offense. A late round draft pick cant automatically take that #2 spot. Either you carry 3 QB (No thanks) or you get the kid on PS
Yep that's how it is now. My point was I think that's going to change. Particularly when you have an astute offensive staff, which I think we do.

Basically I think we could draft a QB McVay likes mid to late rounds, make him the backup on the cheap, and trust in development that way you have a cheap depth option with upside. If you need to use him and he does well, flip him for a pick and do it again. Not all teams have the staff to do that of course but we do.

And btw if we were to draft a development QB other teams like, a guy who has upside to play at this level... Then cutting him is risky since teams can claim him and leaving a player of the most valuable position on your practice squad comes with a ton of risk too.

We'll see maybe I'm off on this but I feel like teams like us (i.e. with good offensive staffs) are missing out on opportunity when they go with vet backups.