Goff’s Backup(s)?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I do realize the Rams are in HUGE problems if anything ever happens to Goff but I am still assuming the Rams will add another backup in addition to John Wolford before the start of the season. I am sure there will be some pretty good veterans available but I am guessing that the Rams salary cap situation will limit their choices. Just curious to get some thoughts on what other Rams fans (With much more knowledge about the Rams than me) think they will do (Sign another veteran, Draft one in the upcoming Draft, etc) to fill that roster spot. I am assuming the Rams won’t go into the season with just Goff and Wolford.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I hadn't heard, is Bortles gone? I know he was a FA, but hadn't heard if he signed with anyone, or we released him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I hadn't heard, is Bortles gone? I know he was a FA, but hadn't heard if he signed with anyone, or we released him.

Yeah Bortles seems to be signing as a backup somewhere. Why not here?

I guess it depends on what the Rams thought of him in that role last year.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Much rather have the Wolford of Woodworth Ave and maybe an undrafted FA as his back up. No need to shell out $ for a FA

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I was hoping we'd snag Morgan at a bargain in this draft but hearing he's got a lot of buzz. Figures. Either way if someone takes Morgan too early then take a look at Luton or Stanley. Both those guys are going late for a reason, but both have the basic stuff and might improve with good coaching which we certainly have.

IMO the Rams should be making better use of the acumen of their offensive staff by ensuring they have a young signal caller with a good talent level developing. Not only does that insulate you against injury to the starter, but those types can be flipped for picks too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was hoping we'd snag Morgan at a bargain in this draft but hearing he's got a lot of buzz. Figures. Either way if someone takes Morgan too early then take a look at Luton or Stanley. Both those guys are going late for a reason, but both have the basic stuff and might improve with good coaching which we certainly have.

Those are good options and I also like Anthony Gordon of Washington State, although the total arm strength is not where I would like it to be, Gordon is very accurate and an outstanding leader. At the Senior Bowl, Gordon had a huge third quarter for his North team. He completed 8 of 12 passes for 69 yards with two touchdowns. He clearly was the best quarterback on the North team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those are good options and I also like Anthony Gordon of Washington State, although the total arm strength is not where I would like it to be, Gordon is very accurate and an outstanding leader. At the Senior Bowl, Gordon had a huge third quarter for his North team. He completed 8 of 12 passes for 69 yards with two touchdowns. He clearly was the best quarterback on the North team.
I really like Gordon. But I'm not sure McVay will, what with his love of stretching the field vertically. But yeah, I prefer my QBs to have a big fuckin set of balls and strong competitive streak I'd be happy with him on the depth chart. Just take a shot at one of them IMO.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I really like Gordon. But I'm not sure McVay will, what with his love of stretching the field vertically. But yeah, I prefer my QBs to have a big fuckin set of balls and strong competitive streak I'd be happy with him on the depth chart. Just take a shot at one of them IMO.

That's a good point about the ability to stretch the field is I've always felt that was needed since Vince Ferragamo replaced Pat "Pop Gun" Haden at Quarterback. I also believe the Rams need to add a QB that has the ability to run and offer somewhat of a wildcat or what they are running in New Orleans with Taysom Hill.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw one idiot on reddit suggesting we send 2 day 3 picks to the Bengals for Dalton and just had to laugh. Yeah we're going to send 2 picks to them for a backup signed for 1 year $17 million dollars. I really need to stay off reddit there's just rampant stupidity on that place. But then again it keeps me posting in a couple other popular threads.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a good point about the ability to stretch the field is I've always felt that was needed since Vince Ferragamo replaced Pat "Pop Gun" Haden at Quarterback. I also believe the Rams need to add a QB that has the ability to run and offer somewhat of a wildcat or what they are running in New Orleans with Taysom Hill.
Gonna need to watch more of his film because I keep reading he's got this big arm but I don't see it on tape. Either way though yeah there are some really interesting dev options in this draft and he's got to be one of the more popular types for that day 3 group.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's Gordon vs UCLA. And yeah some of his throws he snaps it off well but others just kind of float or almost get there. So idk re: the arm strength thing but I do like how he's wired for quick movement and reads. He doesn't seem to always read well, but hey he's a one year starter right? Kid's intriguing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4fpqgKxhPU

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bortles is doing what any FA QB should. Wait it out, see where teams are in TC.
Bad year to be a FA QB looking for a starting gig IMO.
My guess is that he re-signs with the Rams on a cheap 1 year deal.
Load it up with incentives, bonus etc.
Still draft a QB late if one fits the eye.
Go in to camp with 4, and if (when) a starter goes down elsewhere, might be able to trade Bortles off.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bortles is doing what any FA QB should. Wait it out, see where teams are in TC.
Bad year to be a FA QB looking for a starting gig IMO.
My guess is that he re-signs with the Rams on a cheap 1 year deal.
Load it up with incentives, bonus etc.
Still draft a QB late if one fits the eye.
Go in to camp with 4, and if (when) a starter goes down elsewhere, might be able to trade Bortles off.

Sounds like a great plan!!!

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
just thinking out loud ... how often do the Rams throw deep? Cooks on a Go route happens once every 2nd or 3rd game. I want to say the Deep Crossing route where the receiver catches the ball 25 yards down field, near the sideline, and goes about 35 yards through the air is the longest thrown on a regular basis. I think this throw is right in Gordon's wheelhouse. Gordon would be my first choice of QB's drafted.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Here's Gordon vs UCLA. And yeah some of his throws he snaps it off well but others just kind of float or almost get there. So idk re: the arm strength thing but I do like how he's wired for quick movement and reads. He doesn't seem to always read well, but hey he's a one year starter right? Kid's intriguing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4fpqgKxhPU

In addition to Gordon, did you notice Mauigoa the Center? He is consistently good in Pass Pro in this game and another that I watched last week. They don't run much, but when they do he is good at sealing off the DT by turning him 90 degrees. He is also looks agile at getting into space while blocking on Screens.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Hopefully Bortles comes back on a team friendly deal. I like Wolford as a developmental backup. Im curious to see what hed look like after 2-3 years under McVays coaching...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In addition to Gordon, did you notice Mauigoa the Center? He is consistently good in Pass Pro in this game and another that I watched last week. They don't run much, but when they do he is good at sealing off the DT by turning him 90 degrees. He is also looks agile at getting into space while blocking on Screens.

Those are the little things Kromer likes to teach his Lineman. Fundamentals are a big thing moving forward with this young offensive line.

As far as a QB goes ?? I think finding a QB with upside & staying ability is big.
A veteran such as Bortles makes more sense than reaching for this WSU kid.
I don’t see another QB from that college taking his old spot.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Those are the little things Kromer likes to teach his Lineman. Fundamentals are a big thing moving forward with this young offensive line.

As far as a QB goes ?? I think finding a QB with upside & staying ability is big.
I don’t see another QB from that college taking his old spot.
I agree with you. I would prefer a veteran. But if they were to draft Gordon, I would be on board with it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree with you. I would prefer a veteran. But if they were to draft Gordon, I would be on board with it.

I’ll agree with most of The Rams players moves. Will have a few
doubts like Brian Allen being drafted so early.Then even trading up for Greg Gaines but I still think both players can add depth.
Always wonder why not resigning Littleton 2 years back.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why not both?
Bortles likely signs a short term deal 1/2 year deal. Gordon (or any 5th-7th round drafted QB) could end up on PS