Goff Needs to Prove Himself Before Cousins Hits Open Market –PFT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I know many of you are not fans of Florio and for good reason, but this is a subject that had to be addressed. It appears and I'm shocked as to why the Redskins are going to let Kirk Cousins walk and of course his two former Coaches are now Head Coaches in the Golden State.

So if Goff proves to be worthy the Rams move forward with him, but if not, then we are about to see if everybody was truly correct in that McVay has the edge when it comes to player rapport over Kyle Shanahan and is able to recruit Cousins.

In the end who knows how this will play out, but I'm hoping for a great year two for California's Golden Boy and if Cousins ends up in San Francisco the Rams will just have to beat him like a rented goalie.
I just don't get this entire issue!! If Cousins is so good that they Tag him two years in a row , Why not sign him!?! IF they feel he's just not good enough, Why should we chase him!?!
IF Goff can't cut it, ( And let me make myself clear, I think he's going to Be great!) and Washington Cut Cousins in 2018 why pay a ton of $$$$ for him when, apparently there will be some great prospects, in the Draft, we can get Cheap! JMHO!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
5 things
1) I believe Cousins will sign a long term deal in Washington
2) If he doesn't, it would be quite a gamble that could pay off huge
3) If Cousins is FA and Goff doesn't ease doubts, I could totally see the Rams going after him
4) I would go with Sour Cream and Onion chips. While chips and dip separately is more versatile, you just cant beat a good sour cream and onion chip
5) Most important question is, ruffles chips or standard?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
5 things
3) If Cousins is FA and Goff doesn't ease doubts, I could totally see the Rams going after him
4) I would go with Sour Cream and Onion chips. While chips and dip separately is more versatile, you just cant beat a good sour cream and onion chip
Lol she wanted Lays

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Assuming Donald gets his deal, the cap may become an issue in trying to sign Cousins. The 49ers will have way more cap room than the Rams. If Goff succeeds it makes spacing the cap hit over time much easier for keeping our star players.

Both teams will have oodles of cap room next offseason, Ken.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Do they have the option to "franchise tag" him?
I think the far more likely option is the transition tag. It's only $24 million for him in 2018 and while it doesn't provide any compensation if he leaves, it does provide them the option to match any offer that Cousins gets. It will also complicate any long term negotiations that Cousins has with other teams.

Ram65

Legend
I think the far more likely option is the transition tag. It's only $24 million for him in 2018 and while it doesn't provide any compensation if he leaves, it does provide them the option to match any offer that Cousins gets. It will also complicate any long term negotiations that Cousins has with other teams.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-saga-could-culminate-in-2018-transition-tag/
"...........That approach would cost $28.78 million in 2018, but that would be nearly $6 million less than a third use of the franchise tag. More importantly, it would make the formula for a long-term deal based on the franchise tag more affordable (or less unaffordable) than it otherwise would be. Instead of a long-term deal premised on Cousins making $23.94 million this year and $34.47 million next year, Washington could offer $23.94 million plus $28.78 million over the first two years of a long-term deal. That’s $52.72 million over two years. Yes, that would make Cousins the highest-paid player in football. But what others make doesn’t matter when a player’s leverage is determined by the rules of the franchise and transition tags......"

Lot's of money and still no long term deal.

Ram65

Legend
First thought was that Florio is stretching it here. The Skins messed this up with KC just like the Rams messed it up with TruJo. At this point who knows what the Skins will do or be able to do. So KC could become a free agent.

Goff on the other hand would have to be a complete disaster for the Rams to go after KC. I don't see Goff being a complete failure. The Rams could inflate the price for KC so the Whiners over pay even more.

Who else would be in the bidding?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Didnt waste time reading it but the most ridiculous part of the blurb is that goff should be "alarmed" and think, holy shit, I better try harder than I had planned.

The potential qb situation in washington next year wont change the way goff does anything. Jared is going to do his thing and not give a rats ass about the possibility that cousins may or may not be a free agent.

Florio is such a hack

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
5 things
I have to disagree because I don't like sour cream chips, But I do Like French Onion Dip, and I prefer Ruffles because the Have Ridges!!:D

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
This is all predicated on Cousins having a very good/great year next season. Not necessarily going to happen.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has a valid point though and again it's all predicated on how Goff does this season and who knows many things can happen along the way. I'm not concerned I trust Sean McVay in this and if he decides the Rams need to in another direction I'm fine with that, but I don't see that happening as Goff will prove worthy in 2017 as the sun will shine brightly in Los Angeles.
Nightmare 2018 scenario....
Kroenke: Coach, we hired you because yous said you could coach up Goff into a franchise QB? Now you want Cousins?
McVay: Yeah, well.....
Kroenke: QB whisperer, indeed.
McVay: Well, look how I brought along Cousins!
Kroenke: Was it you or Shanahan? Maybe we need a coach and QB change...That is all.