Goff Is Proof That A Good Coach Matters

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Jared Goff was 0-7 under Jeff Fisher and considered a bust. Sean McVay comes in and in 2 years, Goff is 24-7 and 2-2 in the playoffs and in the Pro Bowl. I am of the belief that the LA Rams will win more than one super bowl under McVay. But the vast contrast in coaching shows how big a difference coaching makes. Does Jerry Rice make the HOF in Detroit or Cleveland? Maybe not. I'm still ticked off that one call in the SB (Gurley's big run called back) may have turned the game in NE's favor but I'm pleased that the Rams are a contender and not mopping the basement of the NFC west.

TexasRam

Legend
A successful passing game needs the following 3 ingredients:

1. A Good Coach/Offensive Scheme
2. A Good Surrounding Cast
3. A Good QB

Let this sink in:
Goff's had Kenny Britt and Tavon Austin as his WR's.

Greg Robinson, Barnes, Wichmann and a Rookie in Havenstein.

And in Gurley's own words " A middle school offense".

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

3. A Good QB

Let this sink in:

Agree with this. A good coach is necessary, but is not the only thing. Goff haters love to overemphasize #1, acknowledge #2 and ignore #3. Thursday night proved that even if you have #1 and #2, you still lose if you force Trubisky to act like a QB.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
So with Goff's success comes the expected haters. I think the first example I noticed of fear/jealousy/hatin of McVay himself was Sean Peyton in that 2018 preseason game.:LOL:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
One is not very good without the other. What was Goff's record when Fisher was there and were is Fisher coaching now? Oh, that's right 0&7 and no where.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Jared Goff was 0-7 under Jeff Fisher and considered a bust. Sean McVay comes in and in 2 years, Goff is 24-7 and 2-2 in the playoffs and in the Pro Bowl. I am of the belief that the LA Rams will win more than one super bowl under McVay. But the vast contrast in coaching shows how big a difference coaching makes. Does Jerry Rice make the HOF in Detroit or Cleveland? Maybe not. I'm still ticked off that one call in the SB (Gurley's big run called back) may have turned the game in NE's favor but I'm pleased that the Rams are a contender and not mopping the basement of the NFC west.
I guess it's fair to say he was 0-7 under Fish, I mean Fish promoted a boring non-innovative TE coach to OC. I think Jared as being 0-7 in that complete crap system Boras had. If Sean was coach in year one for Jared I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been 0-7. A lot of the talking heads don't seem to get that aspect.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Jared Goff was 0-7 under Jeff Fisher and considered a bust.

I didn’t consider him a bust.

If you watched, you would see that the skill set and desire were evident.

I’ve minimized the analysts that I view or listen to.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

3. A Good QB

Let this sink in:

Yup.

I agree..........if you watched him play you could tell he was excellent. The stats weren't there that's all.

Look at PManning's rookie year. He was awful on the stat sheet but watching him play you knew he was fantastic.

It wasn't just swapping out McVay for Fisher. See the post by @TexasRam

There was more to it than just the coach.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goff is also proof that a playcaller/designer needs the right guy at QB to achieve top 3 type offensive results.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

The first half of the Saints game his rookie year was all I needed to see. He had the ability and it was very clear. Just needed a coaching staff to help him put it all together. Nothing wrong with that. Brady isn’t Brady without Belicheck and vise versa.