Goff is closer to starting

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
How so? I get the moniker of Keenum "not losing the game" but as a winning qb?
Last real game we saw we lost, largely because he played poorly

With no Gurley, Spruce, Higbee, Brown, etc., and a 3 point loss with 2 missed FGs is Keenum's fault? 60% completion percentage is bad?

I'm not saying he's going to be any better than good enough, but with the added talent and games under his belt, that should be pretty good.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If Goff still isn't starting by around Week 4 or 5 or something then there's a problem.

Or, there's not a problem, which is why they continue to develop him and make him earn the spot.

It wouldn't surprise me if Goff gets the nod starting week 5, in order to see Goff's first few weeks in the NFL follow the following schedule -> Buffalo (home), Detroit (away), NYG (home), bye week. Might be a nice way to get his feet wet.

If Rams are 3-1 or better, with that opening schedule, it would surprise me a lot.

rdw

Pro Bowler
I concur @gabriel18, though I do put winning before starting a single player like I'm sure we all do.

We have all been rooting for Goff to start asap because Keenum is who we knew he was. A solid journeyman QB hanging on to the job until the dessert is ready to be served. Its been agitating that Fisher's (bakers ) offensive staff wasn't up to par getting the kid ready as fast as most of us expected or hoped.

Its been agonizing at times, like a young lad looking through the oven window waiting for the cake to rise so they can watch it get frosted before enjoying every bite.

My eyes tell me Goff is close to being the ready full time starter in a matter of a few short weeks. Every new rep he gets in practice and this last game at Minnesota is just about frosting the cake.

JG has been a slow cooking baked cake that has just recently been pulled out of the oven.

All that's left to do, is let him cool down and apply the frosting...

o0G5HH4.gif
rjQx3Uc.gif

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm underwhelmed by how the offensive staff (Weinke & Boras) have prepared the young man as I expected him to be further along but If I had to bet everything I own, I would say Goff starts a minimum of 12 games in 2016. I'm still every bit as happy as I was from the moment Snead pulled off the blockbuster trade to get him.

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Jared-Goff-Postgame-Press-Conference---827/6497edac-6a20-4065-967c-d3c393db1b7a[/QUOTE]

I'm not underwhelmed at all. This is why I disagreed with the whole trade up to get Goff situation in the first place. Snead and Fisher refuse to hire the required coaches to develop a quarterback. They didn't do anything with Bradford, or Foles. What makes anyone here think that our front office or coaching staff can develop a quarterback?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm onboard with giving the starting job to goff now. I know case is more comfortable and can get the plays in better but if we don't let Jared have the reps with the 1s then he isn't going to get any better at that and in the preseason being hit alot Bc of backup oline and not to mention the drops. I think he is ready enough to start and play well for us and only get better each game. I don't think our record would be better with case either. The reason I say this is while Jared may make a few more mistakes he also has the arm talent to make throws and big plays case simply does not have the arm to do. So I think the mistakes Will be washed out by goffs ability to make GREAT plays. And with our D and running game I think the rookie should start week 1!
EXACTLY!!!!!!

It wouldn't surprise me if Goff gets the nod starting week 5, in order to see Goff's first few weeks in the NFL follow the following schedule -> Buffalo (home), Detroit (away), NYG (home), bye week.
Wouldn't it be easier to prepare him for games against familiar opponents in our division??? Buffalo? Geez? against Rex & Rob???

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
People need to calm down. Goff is still quite raw and, despite showing improvement, still looks shaky at times. He'll be starting sooner rather than later, unless Keenum gets the nod to begin the year and is playing absolutely lights out. If Goff still isn't starting by around Week 4 or 5 or something then there's a problem. The pre-season isn't even over yet. No need to get the pitch forks out just yet.

EDIT - 2 of our first 4 games are against Seattle and Arizona. We've already proven our ability to beat those teams even with poor QB play, and both those opponents are very staunch defensively. It wouldn't surprise me if Goff gets the nod starting week 5, in order to see Goff's first few weeks in the NFL follow the following schedule -> Buffalo (home), Detroit (away), NYG (home), bye week. Might be a nice way to get his feet wet. No disrespect to those clubs at all. They just don't have the same punishing defenses as our divisional foes. Then coming out of the bye week Goff would get Carolina followed by NYJ.... the perfect test for him after amping up slowly.

I'm still on the fence as to who I want starting week 1. I'd be fine with going with Goff from the start. But if Fisher is waiting until week 5 I could see some merit to it. Let's not forget Gurley didn't really get any action until week 4 and it hardly hurt his development. You don't need to be starting week 1 to have a great rookie campaign.

This sounds right to me, a good plan to bring Goff along when he's ready with best timing and a shortened overall season. I doubt if Keenum can beat Arizona, just can't put enough points on the board unless Gurley and the D just dominate (which could happen). The other factor to me is that the team needs to see that Goff is ready and Keenum has limitations. That may happen if/when they lose a close game because of an ineffective passing game. Goff turns 22 in mid October, my guess is that's about when he starts (not because of, just when).

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Juice. Said.. I'm not underwhelmed at all. This is why I disagreed with the whole trade up to get Goff situation in the first place. Snead and Fisher refuse to hire the required coaches to develop a quarterback. They didn't do anything with Bradford, or Foles. What makes anyone here think that our front office or coaching staff can develop a quarterback?
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Well @Juice.... weather your prediction of Fisher or his staff (which you could be right) can or ever will be capable of developing a young franchise quarterback, the Rams organization needed to draft one 2 years ago so at least now one is on the roster.

The Rams Franchise now has a their QB and no matter if it's Fisher or a new coaching staff that reaps the rewards from his talent, the biggest need for this franchise was taken care of.

You make that trade 7 days a week in spite of Fisher and his underwhelming offensive hand picked staff. You don't walk past a gold mine because your workers only have experience mining silver.

e61b4c_2cf77852f2f4499582236164ad7a2c90.png

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Anybody else notice that we were playing the SB Champs? Let's not panic just yet.