Goff is closer to starting

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Goff's overall stats last night and that dropped pick six to Darien Stewart, are what will be mostly talked about by his critics but my eyes seen the gap between him and Keenum get much closer.

It's easy to point out his flaws but its just as easy for anyone that knows what to look at with QB play that Goff is calming down and those flashes he's been showing are going to win him the starting job sooner than many think.

I noticed unlike in the first 2 preseason games, he's now showing glimpses of moving his feet while his eyes are scanning down field. His comfort level taking snaps under center looks to be vastly improving and not a major concern anymore.

The intangibles that made him so good at California and worth trading up for are beginning to translate to the NFL and he's much closer to my eyes than what his critics will write about.

Keenum is the smart & safe choice to start at Frisco in 14 days but how much closer will that gap be after Goff gets another tuneup game on Thursday at Minnesota, along with 2 more weeks of practice and film study?

I wish I was wrong but like everyone else, I expect Fisher to play it safe and start Keenum for at least the first 2 games but there is no way I believe Fisher is going to let Goff hold the clipboard for much longer than a few games unless Keenum is tearing up the league with his passing stats.

I'm underwhelmed by how the offensive staff (Weinke & Boras) have prepared the young man as I expected him to be further along but If I had to bet everything I own, I would say Goff starts a minimum of 12 games in 2016. I'm still every bit as happy as I was from the moment Snead pulled off the blockbuster trade to get him.

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Jared-Goff-Postgame-Press-Conference---827/6497edac-6a20-4065-967c-d3c393db1b7a

nighttrain

Legend
i think i am about done with Fisher, he is just a mediocre HC, has been for a very long time.gone soon i hope
train

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
i think i am about done with Fisher, he is just a mediocre HC, has been for a very long time.gone soon i hope
train

I'm not done with Fisher yet nighttrain but he's on thin ice for me.. If he milks the cow dry on taking his time with Goff and this passing offense look more of the same as 2015, I hold him responsible 100%.

Still no contract extension for Fisher and only one preseason game to go. I'm glad Kroenke is holding firm if that is indeed the case... and not as in case......................................... keenum

Thin Ice...
crazy-gif-falling-through-ice-into-lake.gif

fearsomefour

Legend
Goff showed progress for sure.
Standing in the pocket with generally bad O line play is something many vet QBs are not willing to do. For all the nonsensical attention the rate true runnin threat QBs get, almost all of the great ones hang in the pocket and have a very quick release to beat the rush.
Watching Warners first start vs Baltimore there was a play where he had three rushers around his legs he hung that extra second and got the ball out for a completion. It came up a yard or so short of a first down and the team punted, but, I remember thinking "Holy shit. This guy has a chance."
I am not comparing the two at all of course. That was impressive last night. Looking that much more settled in one week.
All of that said, he isent ready.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'm not done with Fisher yet nighttrain but he's on thin ice for me.. If he milks the cow dry on taking his time with Goff and this passing offense look more of the same as 2015, I hold him responsible 100%.

Still no contract extension for Fisher and only one preseason game to go. I'm glad Kroenke is holding firm if that is indeed the case... and not as in case......................................... keenum

Thin Ice...
crazy-gif-falling-through-ice-into-lake.gif
I liked that post for the gif btw, tho I sorta agree with the content

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Goff is not ready yet. I say yet. When I watch him and Keenum, I see a vet who is further along than the rookie. But when I watch both of them throw passes, its clear there are passes Goff can make that Keenum cannot. Goff's problem right now is getting acclimated to the speed of the game. He also needs to learn some throws should not be made like he used to in college.

Keenum is used to the speed of everything. He knows what throws are too risky. But he can only carry you so far. He has limitations. Goff is the future. Keenum is right now.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keenum is no better than the 7-9 crap we've seen for years . Two years ago he couldn't even bear out Austin Davis for the job . Goff isn't quite ready but what better choice do they have

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Goff is not ready yet. I say yet. When I watch him and Keenum, I see a vet who is further along than the rookie. But when I watch both of them throw passes, its clear there are passes Goff can make that Keenum cannot. Goff's problem right now is getting acclimated to the speed of the game. He also needs to learn some throws should not be made like he used to in college.

Keenum is used to the speed of everything. He knows what throws are too risky. But he can only carry you so far. He has limitations. Goff is the future. Keenum is right now.

And the biggest positive is you can win with Case right now, and for years to come with Jared Goff.

Amazes me how anyone can't see that.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Goff and Manion were getting blown up all game so it's hard to see how they are doing. Goff has had a lot of nice passes dropped, but also has thrown INTs, passes that should have been INTs, and near INTs. He's also thrown passes to players over the middle when he should have known they were going to get pounded.

Case may keep the starting spot all season if he doesn't lay an egg. I personally think the decision will be more political. They can't blow it in LA and have empty seats with billions being spent. I think wins and filling seats are paramount this season, not development. If Case is winning, I would be shocked if they pulled him at any point and gambled on the unknown. If they did, I would then bet that Goff will be on a very short leash.

The scenario's where I think Goff may win the job outright are mounting losses, injury, or just smoking teams in cleanup duty. IMHO, he's not winning it in preseason so far, his fault or not.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I wish I was wrong but like everyone else, I expect Fisher to play it safe and start Keenum for at least the first 2 games but there is no way I believe Fisher is going to let Goff hold the clipboard for much longer than a few games unless Keenum is tearing up the league with his passing stats.
This seems like a reasonable assumption!(y)

RamzFanz

Damnit
Keenum is no better than the 7-9 crap we've seen for years . Two years ago he couldn't even bear out Austin Davis for the job . Goff isn't quite ready but what better choice do they have

Keenum is still playing winning ball. With the new weapons on O like Higbee and Brown, I can see him having a lot of success this season.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Goff and Manion were getting blown up all game so it's hard to see how they are doing. Goff has had a lot of nice passes dropped, but also has thrown INTs, passes that should have been INTs, and near INTs. He's also thrown passes to players over the middle when he should have known they were going to get pounded.

Case may keep the starting spot all season if he doesn't lay an egg. I personally think the decision will be more political. They can't blow it in LA and have empty seats with billions being spent. I think wins and filling seats are paramount this season, not development. If Case is winning, I would be shocked if they pulled him at any point and gambled on the unknown. If they did, I would then bet that Goff will be on a very short leash.

The scenario's where I think Goff may win the job outright are mounting losses, injury, or just smoking teams in cleanup duty. IMHO, he's not winning it in preseason so far, his fault or not.
I Think you may be on to something here Bro'!(y);)

RamzFanz

Damnit

Exactly. Goff may have a lot of upside that needs to be developed, but he's not ahead of Case, and Rams need to win.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
my eyes seen the gap between him and Keenum get much closer.
Look again....pretty sure there's no gap really there at all....I want Goff now...no other way to explain it...I could care less what the vet does a lil better at this point...Goff can win the easy games...like SF...he gets better every drive...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keenum is still playing winning ball. With the new weapons on O like Higbee and Brown, I can see him having a lot of success this season.
How so? I get the moniker of Keenum "not losing the game" but as a winning qb?
Last real game we saw we lost, largely because he played poorly

…..

Legend
something must be wrong with Goff's throws......both our receivers and the defense cannot seem to catch them when he throws it right to them lol

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I concur @gabriel18, though I do put winning before starting a single player like I'm sure we all do.

We have all been rooting for Goff to start asap because Keenum is who we knew he was. A solid journeyman QB hanging on to the job until the dessert is ready to be served. Its been agitating that Fisher's (bakers ) offensive staff wasn't up to par getting the kid ready as fast as most of us expected or hoped.

Its been agonizing at times, like a young lad looking through the oven window waiting for the cake to rise so they can watch it get frosted before enjoying every bite.

My eyes tell me Goff is close to being the ready full time starter in a matter of a few short weeks. Every new rep he gets in practice and this last game at Minnesota is just about frosting the cake.

JG has been a slow cooking baked cake that has just recently been pulled out of the oven.

All that's left to do, is let him cool down and apply the frosting...

o0G5HH4.gif

Last edited:

Shawnbb158

Starter
I'm onboard with giving the starting job to goff now. I know case is more comfortable and can get the plays in better but if we don't let Jared have the reps with the 1s then he isn't going to get any better at that and in the preseason being hit alot Bc of backup oline and not to mention the drops. I think he is ready enough to start and play well for us and only get better each game. I don't think our record would be better with case either. The reason I say this is while Jared may make a few more mistakes he also has the arm talent to make throws and big plays case simply does not have the arm to do. So I think the mistakes Will be washed out by goffs ability to make GREAT plays. And with our D and running game I think the rookie should start week 1!

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
People need to calm down. Goff is still quite raw and, despite showing improvement, still looks shaky at times. He'll be starting sooner rather than later, unless Keenum gets the nod to begin the year and is playing absolutely lights out. If Goff still isn't starting by around Week 4 or 5 or something then there's a problem. The pre-season isn't even over yet. No need to get the pitch forks out just yet.

EDIT - 2 of our first 4 games are against Seattle and Arizona. We've already proven our ability to beat those teams even with poor QB play, and both those opponents are very staunch defensively. It wouldn't surprise me if Goff gets the nod starting week 5, in order to see Goff's first few weeks in the NFL follow the following schedule -> Buffalo (home), Detroit (away), NYG (home), bye week. Might be a nice way to get his feet wet. No disrespect to those clubs at all. They just don't have the same punishing defenses as our divisional foes. Then coming out of the bye week Goff would get Carolina followed by NYJ.... the perfect test for him after amping up slowly.

I'm still on the fence as to who I want starting week 1. I'd be fine with going with Goff from the start. But if Fisher is waiting until week 5 I could see some merit to it. Let's not forget Gurley didn't really get any action until week 4 and it hardly hurt his development. You don't need to be starting week 1 to have a great rookie campaign.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
train
Just when I say the same thing he finds a way to win a couple big games against top tier opponents. Problem is, its usually when we're out of contention and followed by a bad loss to a bad team.

The Rams under him have a tendency to start slow. I believe the best 4 game start has been 2-2. Even 1-3 a couple times. He's gotta find a way to start quicker or we'll be singing the same ole tune with him all year.