GM ties could help shape Rams' draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In last week's edition of "vetting potential trade partners," we discussed the reasons the Cleveland Browns would and would not make sense for the St. Louis Rams as a potential match for a draft day trade involving the No. 2 overall pick. Apparently, we did the Browns a week too early because some news came Tuesday that would add another tally to the "makes sense" column.

When Browns owner Jimmy Haslam announced Tuesday that he was firing general manager Mike Lombardi and CEO Joe Banner and hiring Ray Farmer as the new GM, it didn't move the needle much in St. Louis. But it's possible the move could have more impact on the Rams than it would seem.

Farmer landed his first NFL scouting job in 2002 with the Atlanta Falcons. At the time, Les Snead was the team's pro personnel director and had already been with the Falcons for five years. Snead told cleveland.com on Tuesday that when he had a hand in bringing Farmer aboard, it was an easy decision.

"Hiring Ray is one of the easiest and best decisions I've ever made," Snead said.

Snead went on to continue working his way up through the Falcons organization until he became the Rams general manager in 2012. Farmer diverted to stops in Kansas City and last year in Cleveland before getting the big promotion from Haslam on Tuesday.

In that aforementioned article, Snead went on to offer more praise for Farmer's communication skills.

"He is a people person who genuinely wants to build a united team on the field and inside the building," Snead said. "He knows this requires asking inquisitive, but often hard, questions as well as listening to the answers to those questions."

Farmer's job will also require making difficult decisions, decisions such as what to do with Cleveland's two first round draft choices. That's where Snead could come in.

There has been much speculation about what the Browns will do to address their need at quarterback. Many believe if they have a target in mind -- and that target could be moving now that Farmer is in place -- they'll have to move up to get him. Cleveland also boasts the No. 26 pick in the first round and an early second-round choice and clearly has the ammunition to make a move to get the player it wants.

The Rams, armed with the No. 2 pick, sit in a good position as they have made it clear they do not intend to draft a quarterback there. With needs on the offensive line, the secondary and possibly receiver, the Rams could move down, pick up some extra selections and still get a player they covet.

Reasons why a deal between the Rams and Browns aren't hard to find but adding Farmer to the mix could at least stir some additional interest. Obviously, trades aren't limited to general managers who know each other but they do tend to be a little easier when the two guys making the deal are familiar.

For evidence, look no further than the second of two first-round deals the Rams made in the 2013 NFL draft. Snead struck a deal with friend and mentor Thomas Dimitroff, Atlanta's general manager to move down from No. 22 to No. 30, where the Rams eventually took linebacker Alec Ogletree.

Of course, the Rams have also made draft deals with Dallas, Washington, Buffalo, Chicago and Houston since Snead arrived as general manager. Dimitroff and Atlanta also lurk at No. 6 with need for pass rush help, which could make a move for South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney appealing.

Having a close tie to another general manager guarantees nothing but it certainly doesn't hurt the possibility for a deal either.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Its not hard Rams 1.2 pick is worth @ least 2600 pts & more depending on how the bidding goes. Bidding would start @ 2600pts and moves on up from there as other teams make offers more stalling by the Browns makes it more expensive. Mix or match one thing for-sure any deal would mandate their 1.4 selection. If the Browns go to the Texans it will cost more for that 1.1 selection at least a second round selection more. Why would the Texans give away a 1.1 pick on the cheap? So the Snead team would be the best bargain to get the one of the two best QB's.

Browns have these known 2014 selections & the standard value/worth of each pick.
1.4=1800 pts
1.26=700 pts
2.36=540 pts
3.68=250 pts
4.100=100 pts
5.132=40 pts

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm feeling blockbuster...

Somebody is gonna miss out on a QB for another consecutive year. I don't know if Winston is worth the wait, either. Manziel looks almost as good so that's good enough for some teams, I'm sure.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd rather deal with Atlanta(6th) or Minnesota(8th).
I really think its going to be important to try to land a 2015 number one from this #2 pick.
Lets assume that the Rams improve next year and fall into the 20-25 draft slot....that'd be a weird feeling wouldn't it? Lol
Anyway,with an added first rounder(even a low end first rounder via Atlanta/Minnesota) we could still do some maneuvering if we feel we may be just one player away from putting this thing all together. Two first rd picks as ammunition to leap back into the top 10 for example.
JMO

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'd rather deal with Atlanta(6th) or Minnesota(8th).
I really think its going to be important to try to land a 2015 number one from this #2 pick.
Lets assume that the Rams improve next year and fall into the 20-25 draft slot....that'd be a weird feeling wouldn't it? Lol
Anyway,with an added first rounder(even a low end first rounder via Atlanta/Minnesota) we could still do some maneuvering if we feel we may be just one player away from putting this thing all together. Two first rd picks as ammunition to leap back into the top 10 for example.
JMO

I think its more important to get as many high round picks this year as possible. This is year 3. We need to get over the hump now while our draft picks in Fishers era are still cheap. Though a future first is always good as well and I would not hate it one bit.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think its more important to get as many high round picks this year as possible. This is year 3. We need to get over the hump now while our draft picks in Fishers era are still cheap. Though a future first is always good as well and I would not hate it one bit.
I hear ya. We're a very,very young team though(which is good!) but i'd take a future #1 and a 2nd or 3rd and be cool with it. Maybe throw in a 4th or 5th.
We'd be drafting at #8 #13 with an additional 2nd or 3rd. Don't forget that WASH gave us two future one's. Rams shouldn't feel that asking for a single future #1 is greedy.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I hear ya. We're a very,very young team though(which is good!) but i'd take a future #1 and a 2nd or 3rd and be cool with it. Maybe throw in a 4th or 5th.
We'd be drafting at #8 #13 with an additional 2nd or 3rd. Don't forget that WASH gave us two future one's. Rams shouldn't feel that asking for a single future #1 is greedy.

I'd have no problem gaining a future first, just prefer the potential trade with the browns. Could fix the secondary and O-line/Wr corp also, all in the first. If Fisher has another subpar .500 season, we don;t know if he will be back is all. Rather gain ground now so he and Williams stays around to keep developing our players and growing. Its a win/win if Fisher stays though.

Its not hard Rams 1.2 pick is worth @ least 2600 pts & more depending on how the bidding goes. Bidding would start @ 2600pts and moves on up from there as other teams make offers more stalling by the Browns makes it more expensive. Mix or match one thing for-sure any deal would mandate their 1.4 selection. If the Browns go to the Texans it will cost more for that 1.1 selection at least a second round selection more. Why would the Texans give away a 1.1 pick on the cheap? So the Snead team would be the best bargain to get the one of the two best QB's.

Browns have these known 2014 selections & the standard value/worth of each pick.
1.4=1800 pts
1.26=700 pts
2.36=540 pts
3.68=250 pts
4.100=100 pts
5.132=40 pts

Looking at that would anyone prefer 1.4, 2.36 and 3.68 rather than 1.4, 1.26 and 4.100?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looking at that would anyone prefer 1.4, 2.36 and 3.68 rather than 1.4, 1.26 and 4.100?
From what I see that would be the preferred option. However Snead has gambled with targeted players in the first round (Brockers/Ogletree) & traded down to regroup the priceless draft value tender, the he gained back some tender & then he went out & got additional players of worth (Bailey/McDonald/Pead). No telling where Snead & Fishers few latent targeted first rounders are strategitized to remain on the board till. If that were the case Snead would demand their 7th round pick too.

This draft is deep with underclassmen the amount is the largest yet so many are real short on college game experience too. You could select a player in this draft in the 2nd or third round that would be a first round selection in 2015. So in this case taking in trade future UNKNOWN selections is a much bigger gamble than in the past. I am sure Snead was not happy with his traded for UNKNOWN Washington first rounder in 2013 when it ended up being in the mid 20's. I am sure Snead & Fisher made notes to himself WARNING remember the bird in the hand vs the two in the bush. But they might have trashed those notes to self when they found out that they have that #2 selection once again in 2014. In the case of this draft you really need to do some deep homework into the 2014 underclassmen prospects that they are interested in in many cases there is just not a great body of work to review. Thus making the combine all that more interesting with all these younger kids running around.

Guess I am looking at this 2014 draft & if trades are made I want them to be KNOWN Quantities and Qualities now ....I am completely against trades for some UNknown selections that can range from a spectrum of 32 different spots & difference of 2500 valued draft points. That is a real gamble.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With Cleveland... 3 firsts makes me really excited. Rams might prefer to defer one of those to 2015.