Global Shark Tracker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I’ve had fun playing with this thing. There are other animals here too.

This link should launch the tracker page;

One shark near me... was down in South Carolina just a month ago... swam all the way up the east coast past Maine. In a month!

Kind of fun to tinker with.

(y)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I’ve had fun playing with this thing. There are other animals here too.

This link should launch the tracker page;

One shark near me... was down in South Carolina just a month ago... swam all the way up the east coast past Maine. In a month!

Kind of fun to tinker with.

(y)

Ocean nerd here.

You probably already have an idea about this, but just in case...

The fastest current in all of the oceans is located in the gulf stream. It comes up the east coast of the US down around the tip of Florida and flows north up the coast all the way up to where you live in Canada.

It may not sound fast... but near the surface it travels at 5.6 mph. So let's just say the shark was just drifting instead of swimming. That shark was definitely in the gulf stream. So let's just say he was only drifting at 5 mph. In a month's time he would have traveled 3650 miles.

I track some great whites from time to time when I see reports of them showing up here in Florida waters. I've been in the water with lots of sharks... but I'm not interested in being in there with a white shark. They don't stay down in these waters for long periods... but it's surprising to see that they actually do come down here. Even all the way down in the Keys sometimes... but they never stay long in the hot water.

Some have complained that the tracking has allowed certain fishermen to possibly target a great white with the tech. They fear that it is a danger to those fish. I heard they were actually (if they haven't already) going to think about putting a delay on the tracking data so that fishermen couldn't use it in real time to try and kill one.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It may not sound fast... but near the surface it travels at 5.6 mph. So let's just say the shark was just drifting instead of swimming. That shark was definitely in the gulf stream. So let's just say he was only drifting at 5 mph. In a month's time he would have traveled 3650 miles.

Well, your math makes sense. (y)

Quite the traveler some of them... and wild they cover such distance.

Some have complained that the tracking has allowed certain fishermen to possibly target a great white with the tech. They fear that it is a danger to those fish. I heard they were actually (if they haven't already) going to think about putting a delay on the tracking data so that fishermen couldn't use it in real time to try and kill one.

I noticed quite a few sharks haven't ping'd in a while. I was wondering why they "disappeared", if in fact they have. Killed. The pinger fell off. Etc.

Great White Sharks have no natural predator, right? Well, maybe a killer whale, but it's not like they hunt them. They just eat anything.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Thanks for sharing...the current state of the human world is making me gravitate more toward animals and conservation efforts more than ever.

I think I'll pay a visit to the zoo in a few weeks, and buy/donate a little more this go around.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Well, your math makes sense. (y)

Quite the traveler some of them... and wild they cover such distance.

I noticed quite a few sharks haven't ping'd in a while. I was wondering why they "disappeared", if in fact they have. Killed. The pinger fell off. Etc.

Great White Sharks have no natural predator, right? Well, maybe a killer whale, but it's not like they hunt them. They just eat anything.

I'm fairly certain that the trackers have to be kinda close to the surface to get a ping. So, when they stay down deeper... they won't ping.

I know this because I read a story recently about a shark that hadn't pinged in like over a year... maybe it was 2 years. They thought something like you said could have happened... killed/died or tracker fell off. But out of nowhere and many many miles away from the last ping... the shark reappeared.

White sharks are in fact hunted by some orcas. The interesting thing is that the orcas can easily kill them... and when they do, they only eat their livers. It's interesting to me at least. LOL

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm fairly certain that the trackers have to be kinda close to the surface to get a ping. So, when they stay down deeper... they won't ping.

I know this because I read a story recently about a shark that hadn't pinged in like over a year... maybe it was 2 years. They thought something like you said could have happened... killed/died or tracker fell off. But out of nowhere and many many miles away from the last ping... the shark reappeared.

White sharks are in fact hunted by some orcas. The interesting thing is that the orcas can easily kill them... and when they do, they only eat their livers. It's interesting to me at least. LOL
Its also crazy how efficient Orcas are with getting the liver. They eat directly where the liver is and the rest of the shark stays in tact.
I was fascinated as well when I saw this

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did not know that about Orcas. (y)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Its also crazy how efficient Orcas are with getting the liver. They eat directly where the liver is and the rest of the shark stays in tact.
I was fascinated as well when I saw this

Ahhhhhh

A fellow Ocean Nerd I see! LOL

Those orcas are so extremely intelligent. That's a prime example of how they are not just a simple minded animal. It's a shame we can't communicate directly with them because I'm sure that they could teach us many things that we humans haven't even thought of.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't realize keeping track of Greg Norman was such a hot item.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope Chief Brody is on the job. I saw two or three dots off the coast of Maine.