Give Tavon Some Love

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
You guys are a tough audience. You can't blame him for his contract.

Tayvon is definitely rusty, he missed TC remember and had wrist surgery, he's bound to be rusty. You talk of the muffed punt returns, do we also jettison Cooper for that KR turn over in the 4th?

What I saw against the 49ers was an offensive threat, he draws defenders and creates space. He's slowly being integrated into the offense and he'll be lethal when opposing defenses are starting to tire...

Whether we'll be able to afford to keep him is a different story.

~lyser

Rookie
I think the Rams are lucky to have his services this year. Unfortunately, he probably does not bring enough value to be retained next year. Hopefully they can get a guy or maybe already have a guy (P. Cooper) that can fulfill Tavon's role.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
The problem isn't Tavon, it's the fact that with so many contracts needing renewal, we need to maximize value in every signing.

Tavon has talent, but he's a gadget player and gadget players can usually be found cheaper.

Comparables:

Tyreek Hill, 5th Round
Avg. Salary Per Year: $646,555.00

Taylor Gabriel, UDFA
Avg. Salary Per Year: $2.7 M

Ty Montgomery, 3rd Round
Avg. Salary Per Year: $737,199.00

Tavon's role can easily be replaced by a cheaper alternative and that's the whole point with the Tavon criticism.
Could you please stop with the logic? There's no room for that in this thread.

BadCompany

Rookie
Honest question here, with no bashing intended; why don't they throw more screens to Tavon? It seems to me that if he has a couple of blockers in front of him at the second level it would give him more of an opportunity, in space, to get some real speed going. To pick his holes, as opposed to trying to force him through a designed block. With a lineman or two, a TE, and WR, blocking the LBs and DBs, wouldn't he be able to just slip on by and grab some big yards? And if he drops the pass it's just an incomplete pass, as opposed to a fumble.

I'm no coach, so I'll defer to the experts, but it would seem to me that some screens would be just as effective, perhaps more so, than those jet-sweeps they always ask him to run.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Honest question here, with no bashing intended; why don't they throw more screens to Tavon? It seems to me that if he has a couple of blockers in front of him at the second level it would give him more of an opportunity, in space, to get some real speed going. To pick his holes, as opposed to trying to force him through a designed block. With a lineman or two, a TE, and WR, blocking the LBs and DBs, wouldn't he be able to just slip on by and grab some big yards? And if he drops the pass it's just an incomplete pass, as opposed to a fumble.

I'm no coach, so I'll defer to the experts, but it would seem to me that some screens would be just as effective, perhaps more so, than those jet-sweeps they always ask him to run.

This may be true... :)...but IMHO the fake jet sweeps are what keep the back side defense honest on the zone runs....they cannot take the chance that tavon has the ball. The screens may be more effective for tavon.....but the zone run game become much more effective because of his threat of run. I am not worried about Tavon yet... as I believe he will find his niche in this offence.....he is a weapon. ..Mcvay is smart he will use him in a way in which he will help the team most.

Go Rams........ ;)

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Take a punt return to the house against the Cowboys, Tavon, and all will be forgiven.