Gibson takes the blame for illegal formation penalty

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jim Thomas

LPbV.jpeg

Rams wide receiver Brandon Gibson was as surprised as anybody about the late flag that wiped out an 80-yard reception by Danny Amendola against San Francisco.
“Yeah, usually they call it (right) when it happens,” he said. “But they made the call. There’s nothing I can do about it.”

And Gibson blamed nobody but himself for that costly illegal formation penalty on the first play from scrimmage in overtime. Coach Jeff Fisher tried to give Gibson a little wiggle room Monday when he noted that during the practice week the Rams had employed a tight end between Gibson and left tackle Rodger Saffold on that play.

But Gibson would have none of it. “That was me,” he said. “I’ve got to make sure I’m on the ball.”

Because Gibson was not positioned on the line of scrimmage, but a step or two behind it – it was an illegal formation. Technically, it meant Saffold was an eligible receiver, and because Saffold had not reported eligible, the penalty was called.

Had the play counted, the Rams would’ve had a first down on the San Francisco 2, and probably win the game instead of settling for a 24-24 tie. Even without those 80 yards, [hil]the Rams still piled up 458 yards against one of the NFL’s best defenses.[/hil]

With Amendola and Saffold back in the lineup, the offense could be starting to gel.

“I think we did a decent job – not a decent job – we did a good job of filling in the roles when the guys were hurt,” Gibson said. “And I think it makes us a better team now that we have more depth.”

With 31 catches for 428 yards, Givens is just five catches and three yards away from matching his totals for the entire 2011 season.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... ab335.html

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
He fucking should accept responsibility, seeing as it was his fault and all.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't hate Gibson, and I don't love him. I think he's a hard worker. He can get the job done, and he can screw the pooch. But what does that say about the rest of the receivers if for THREE years, nobody has been able to unseat him? See, that's what infuriates me the most. He flashes so much potential, but it seems as though it's never going to be all fully realized. And in the meantime, there hasn't been a single receiver come through here the past few years that has enough talent to put Gibson on the back burner. He's always, always, always on the field.

That means something. And it isn't good.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
I don't hate Gibson, and I don't love him. I think he's a hard worker. He can get the job done, and he can screw the pooch. But what does that say about the rest of the receivers if for THREE years, nobody has been able to unseat him? See, that's what infuriates me the most. He flashes so much potential, but it seems as though it's never going to be all fully realized. And in the meantime, there hasn't been a single receiver come through here the past few years that has enough talent to put Gibson on the back burner. He's always, always, always on the field.

Precisely. I can't hate on the guy. The entire NFL knows he shouldn't be a #1 receiver, yet here he is. I have to hand it to him that he works as hard as he does and by all accounts is a great team guy. But there is no way in hell he should be in the position that should be occupied by our best and/or most dangerous receiver. The guy has decent talent and puts forth extraordinary effort and I do love him for THAT. And it's not his fault we have to play him as a #1.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I wonder if the coaches see him as an eventual depth player once the kids get up to speed (assuming they do). He would be fine as a role player or even featured WR in some packages. Hopefully our starting WRs are Quick, Givens and Dola next year with Pettis, Gibby and maybe another speedster backing them up. I could live with that.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I was listening to The Football Guys, they had on a guy from STATS LLC who was a beat writer for the Packers, Tom Kessenich. They were discussing the Rams WRs. Obviously, the love Amendola. Said he's the only guy that Bradford can trust throwing to. Said Quick and Givens may develop down the road, but Gibson is pedestrian at best.

Anyway, that's how the unbiased football guys see it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:

well there was dax but he got dumped in preseason. couldn't believe it then and still don't understand why they couldn't wait for him to come around. as for his health concerns, he was on the field for 90% of offensive snaps for the chargers last week. it's criminal he's on another team and the rams are stuck with gibson.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
kurtfaulk said:
X said:

well there was dax but he got dumped in preseason. couldn't believe it then and still don't understand why they couldn't wait for him to come around. as for his health concerns, he was on the field for 90% of offensive snaps for the chargers last week. it's criminal he's on another team and the rams are stuck with gibson.

Well, yeah. There was Alexander, and Lloyd, and Clayton. When THOSE guys were on the field with Bradford, the offense was markedly different. Kinda weird how much better a QB looks when he's got at least one reliable receiver at his disposal; not to mention when he's got TWO of them on the field at the same time <gasp!>. And therein lies the problem. Outside of Amendola, who else has Bradford had? Yet alone on a consistent basis? He hasn't even had Amendola all that often.

But back to Gibson. l like Gibby. I really do. He's the kinda guy that I can root for. He's not overly tall (6'0), not overly big (210), not overly fast (4.59), but he can put a move on a cornerback and make him look just flat out stupid. And then, at the very same time, during the very same play, trip over his own fucking feet and blow it for himself. If he could ever put it all together and be consistent, he'd be a very good weapon for this team. Unfortunately, there's just no evidence that he can.

Oh Gibby. What'm I gonna do with you, man. :neh:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
kurtfaulk said:
X said:

Well, yeah. There was Alexander, and Lloyd, and Clayton. When THOSE guys were on the field with Bradford, the offense was markedly different. Kinda weird how much better a QB looks when he's got at least one reliable receiver at his disposal; not to mention when he's got TWO of them on the field at the same time <gasp!>. And therein lies the problem. Outside of Amendola, who else has Bradford had? Yet alone on a consistent basis? He hasn't even had Amendola all that often.

But back to Gibson. l like Gibby. I really do. He's the kinda guy that I can root for. He's not overly tall (6'0), not overly big (210), not overly fast (4.59), but he can put a move on a cornerback and make him look just flat out stupid. And then, at the very same time, during the very same play, trip over his own fucking feet and blow it for himself. If he could ever put it all together and be consistent, he'd be a very good weapon for this team. Unfortunately, there's just no evidence that he can.

Oh Gibby. What'm I gonna do with you, man. :neh:

We have two rookies who aught to have learned something from the brain fart costing us a win, and the stand up take responsibility way Gibby dealt with it.
IMO Gibby is our #4 next year and Pettis IF he's lucky is #5 with another 4th round burner as our developmental guy.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thordaddy said:
IMO Gibby is our #4 next year and Pettis IF he's lucky is #5 with another 4th round burner as our developmental guy.

Pretty much exactly what I said. I swear no one listens to me on this board.........

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
Thordaddy said:

Pretty much exactly what I said. I swear no one listens to me on this board.........
What?

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
Faceplant said:
Thordaddy said:

What?

Faceplant said:
I wonder if the coaches see him as an eventual depth player once the kids get up to speed (assuming they do). He would be fine as a role player or even featured WR in some packages. Hopefully our starting WRs are Quick, Givens and Dola next year with Pettis, Gibby and maybe another speedster backing them up. I could live with that.

:wahhh: :violin: :=:)

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Faceplant said:
Thordaddy said:

What?
Did you hear something? :rofl:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DX sure gave the exercise bikes a workout. Dude barely practiced in camp. He hasn't done anything different w/ SD than he did w/ the Rams.

Gibby = James Jones. I know I wanted Jones in FA but more I watch Jones, more he and Gibby are the same. Drop issues, but can be a good player.

Rams WRs are gonna resemble the Packers pretty soon.

Gibby = Jones
Amendola = Nelson
Givens = Jennings
Quick (hopefully)= Driver
Kendricks = Finley

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The fans have been screaming about the lack of WRs on this team, yet here we are, yet again, discussing the same issue. Why haven't these high-paid experts fixed this glaring and obvious problem yet?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
interference said:
The fans have been screaming about the lack of WRs on this team, yet here we are, yet again, discussing the same issue. Why haven't these high-paid experts fixed this glaring and obvious problem yet?

They have, Spags signed Lloyd hoping he was going to get to keep his job and if he had McD stays and so does BL,Kendricks,Pettis,Salas,Quick,Givens drafted, signed Smith,tendered Amendola at second round level.
Magic wands don't exist and there is a salary cap,I don't think anyone has been oblivious to the issue,the results are materializing , be constructive ....interference :ww: :tooth:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Faceplant said:
Thordaddy said:

What?
Did you hear something? :rofl:
I thought I did.

Was that a cat or somethin'?

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I just don't get why we aren't starting Quick ahead of Gibson anyways. I thought that we did not want to put Quick out there and take a chance that he would cost us a win with a rookie penalty or mistake, then Gibson 3 year player makes that same mistake, time to give Quick his shot can't do any worse IMO.