Giants/Cowboys, McDaniels, OCs...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
OK so that was an amazing game to watch. But it shouldn't have been amazing. B/c the Giants should've already had a sizeable lead @ halftime. Why didn't Gilbride call a run straight up the middle w/ a bruiser like Jacobs, instead of calling 2 straight fades and then a shotgun draw? And they also had some other chances where they settled for FGs. That reminded me too much of the Rams. Am I missing something here? Why do McDaniels and Gilbride and probably a bunch of other playcallers see that I don't? This same thing happened to the Rams against the Giants (ironically). Can someone explain this?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
It was very questionable. They tried another fade later in the game and that didnt work. I think they just really liked the size advantage they had against the Cowboys CBs and throught they could take advantage of it. I understand the thinking, you try 2 fades and then the defense will maybe think you will try another pass on 3rd down so you do a draw. Know what play that seems to work all the time but we rarely see it in the RZ? The play where you have the TE lined up inside, he blocks, and then sneaks out and is usually open, and while this happens the QBs eyes are looking in the opposite direction to make the defense drift that way.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, either I'm incredibly naive or they (OCs) are overcomplicating things.

Size advantage shmantage. Just pound it in. Try a pass on 1st down, if it fails...then run it in. Shotgun draw, you're just adding more distance from the QB to the goalline.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
IDK if he had confidence Jacobs would go up the middle. No doubt that the power run game is what best suits him, but this year he has been bouncing EVERYTHING outside like hes trying to be CJ2K. If he tries to bounce a run outside theres a good chance it goes for negative yardage.

I wonder if that played into his thought process. Sometimes coordinators try and get to tricky tho.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
libertadrocks said:
IDK if he had confidence Jacobs would go up the middle. No doubt that the power run game is what best suits him, but this year he has been bouncing EVERYTHING outside like hes trying to be CJ2K. If he tries to bounce a run outside theres a good chance it goes for negative yardage.

I wonder if that played into his thought process. Sometimes coordinators try and get to tricky tho.

And that worked a lot in this game. Cowboys Run D was awful.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
JdashSTL said:
libertadrocks said:

It did last night, but bouncing runs outside have rendered Jacobs largely ineffective for most of the year. Between the tackles = Above average RB / Outside the tackles = Below Average

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
libertadrocks said:
JdashSTL said:
libertadrocks said:

It did last night, but bouncing runs outside have rendered Jacobs largely ineffective for most of the year. Between the tackles = Above average RB / Outside the tackles = Below Average

Exactly. Jacobs is a bruiser, just straight up the middle. They (Giants) ran him outside in the playoffs (I think the year after the SB) agaisnt the Eagles and they lost. Miserably.