Getting Old Gracefully

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I'm talkin' to you, ya bunch of old blue hairs!

lol...Yes, this has been percolating in my mind for a few years, as baby-boomers resist the pull of gravity and color out the gray, and get hair plugs, and get dental implants...and...and..and...

Right now I am resisting the need to change the tv channel, advertising CrepeErase. Melissa Gilbert, Laura Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie," is advertising how this product smooths crepe paper looking skin. Maybe it does, or maybe it doesn't, but all I know is the insulting advertising technique of stroking the vanity of the old. A room full of baby-boomer-age women who are dressed in stylish clothes with not a gray hair in the room, gushing over the slightly improved skin with this product.

It's not alone, since there are a multitude of cremes and lotions, etc...that will eliminate the need for plastic surgery (supposedly). The Before and After pictures normally have the wrinkly, saggy skinned old folks frowning (emphasizing the wrinkles), and the After picture with usage of the product, a smiling less wrinkly person emerges (facial muscles are relaxed and less wrinkles).

I am a last year baby boomer (1964), and I am determined to let the hair go gray, and the missing hair remain missing. I'm going to ride out the real teeth as long as I can I'm gonna use lotion when my skin is too dry, and I'll enjoy my jeans and polo's in place of fancy clothing. I am more interested in retaining clarity of thought and following my passions (historical studies and writing about what I learn). I look at my fellow boomers, struggling against looking old. Everyone KNOWS you are old, boomer...Everyone see's the foolish expensive attempt to look like you're 39 and holding...

*steps off soap box, grasping my security Alert button, just in case...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Embrace the wrinkles!

Enjoy the fact that you now have more hair on your ears & in your nose than on your head. Refrain cutting the fast growing eyebrow hair & just comb it down into your eyes for the 60's look & feel. Enjoy the fact you can now just go to the Men's dept in Walmart & buy the basketball air dry shorts with elastic waste bands instead of the tailored belt trousers. Not familiar with any blue hair:thinking: because my is white how can I get the blue?

Trash your old hard leather polished shoes & get you some soft padded athletic shoes 2 sizes too big so you can just slip your feet into them so you do not need to sit down to put your shoes & shocks on. Relish all the senior citizens discounts. When you go to concerts now just for the ADA seats....example wife & I went to Pensacola to see Joe Bonamassa rock the city on my 63rd birthday (which he did very well)! We were asked to volunteer to give our ADA seats to a lady who had just broke her leg a day before & we were awarded seats to right up front where I had conversations with Joe while he was playing:wow:.

I not so sure about the gracefully stuff when your the size of a Jamon Brown but I have arrived:party:

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
167.gif

" 'satch you say?"

Yeah, @LoyalRam . Time marches on. Thanks for the post. Battling the ear hair, otherwise I would have heard everything you said. You sumbitch.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Growing old is a strange experience. The body knows it's old but the mind doesn't.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Growing old is a strange experience. The body knows it's old but the mind doesn't.

the body will quickly remind the mind just how old it is during certain physical activities more easily achieved decades ago. (or while looking for a set of keys just put down minutes ago.) (y)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
the body will quickly remind the mind just how old it is during certain physical activities more easily achieved decades ago. (or while looking for a set of keys just put down minutes ago.) (y)

A few years ago during a bitter winter I was out walking and decided to run up this steep hill as quickly as I could. About halfway up the hill I heard this pop and felt searing pain in the calf muscle of my right leg. I thought I had been shot but the calf muscle had torn.

I walk by that hill about once a week and it sits there laughing at me. :mad:

Still, I walk about three miles a day, around 360 days out of the year, but no more running. :rimshot:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I ain't goin' out like that. I still hit the gym daily, dye my beard (hair isn't turning grey yet, but the beard goes stone white), and use creams and masks. Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - believes I'm going on 52 when they ask my age, and I aims to keep it that way. Yeah, I'm vain. Deal with it. Now, all that said, stress is the biggest culprit when it comes to aging. I see people my age, that I work with, who can't handle stress well at all, and they look 20 years older than me. Can't let stuff get to you, man. In the end, it's just not worth it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I ain't goin' out like that. I still hit the gym daily, dye my beard (hair isn't turning grey yet, but the beard goes stone white), and use creams and masks. Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - believes I'm going on 52 when they ask my age, and I aims to keep it that way. Yeah, I'm vain. Deal with it. Now, all that said, stress is the biggest culprit when it comes to aging. I see people my age, that I work with, who can't handle stress well at all, and they look 20 years older than me. Can't let stuff get to you, man. In the end, it's just not worth it.
d@mn, yur fukkin old

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Have you started watching The Golden Girls reruns ?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, but I watch Friar's Club Roasts with Carson, Berle, and Rickles!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Hey!

Those lovely ladies put me to bed most nights, I'll have you know! (not kidding)

The whole family knows if they're going to turn off the tv, it has to be before the next Golden Girls intro starts. If I hear the whole song, I'm GONNA watch that next episode.

I watched some tonight. 11pm-2am EST on Hallmark. Frasier from 2-4. I know I'm not gonna get much sleep if I make it through Cheers from 4-5am and am watching I Love Lucy.

I was binging some Sopranos, but with the super weird dreams I've been having, I had to take a break. Wasn't even about people, so... yeah. Back to Blanche, Dorothy, Rose and Sophia aka Ma (picture it, Sicily, 1924...)