Gerald Rivers: ‘Excited’ about NFL opportunity

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OhioRam

Rookie
Posted by Carla Parker
<a class="postlink" href="http://thechampionnewspaper.com/gerald-rivers-excited-about-nfl-opportunity/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://thechampionnewspaper.com/gerald- ... portunity/</a>

Cedar Grove High School alum Gerald Rivers has come full circle in a year.

Last spring, the 6-foot-4, 249-pound defensive end was preparing for his senior season at the University of Mississippi when the most influential person in his life, his grandmother, passed away. The loss caused Rivers’ mind to stray away from school and football and he took time off to be with his family.

“I wasn’t exactly the most focused person at that point because she was a big part of my life,” he said. “It caused me to fall behind in my school work. It was hard.”

Rivers went back to school in the summer to take the classes he needed to complete the academic requirements for reinstatement, but he was still denied eligibility.

“I talked to the NCAA, I talked to my counselors and they were appealing for me,” he said. “About two or three weeks going into the season my appeal was denied.”

Rivers was ruled academically ineligible and had to sit out the entire 2012 season. But that didn’t keep Rivers down. He continued to work out to prepare for the NFL draft. He participated in the Super Regional Combine in Dallas, Texas, and in Ole Miss’ pro day, which allows NFL prospects to show off their skills to NFL coaches and scouts.

“It went great,” he said. “Just being able to go out there and show them that I’ve been working hard and to showcase my skills. I met a lot of scouts and talked to a lot of teams.”

His skillsets caught the attention of one particular team—the St. Louis Rams. The Rams signed Rivers as an undrafted free agent after the NFL draft. He said he is excited to be a Ram.

“They saw something in me that they liked and they want to work with me,” he said. “It was an honor.”

Rivers was with friends watching the draft. He said it was stressful and toward the end of the draft he and his friends went to a festival on campus.

“I finally wanted to get out of the house and walk around a little bit and get some fresh air,” he said.

That is when he got a call from his agent telling him that the Rams were interested in signing him. He then got another call from the Rams defensive line coach Mike Waulfe, who told him the Rams wanted him to sign with the team.

“It was overwhelming and a relief,” Rivers said.

Rivers said he wasn’t disappointed about not actually being drafted.

“When you go to [rookie mini] camp everybody is on the same level,” he said. “So it’s just about going out there and showing what you can do, showing your hard work.”

Rivers said it wasn’t hard to prepare for the draft after missing a year of football. He used his adversity as a motivational tool.

“It gave me more reason to fight,” he said. “I kind of came out [to my pro day] with a chip on my shoulder. Most of the scouts knew me from the year before and I felt like some people thought that I was going to come back out of shape and not able to perform. But I took over my pro day and showed out at the regional combine.

“The fact that I even went through some adversity, I was still able to come back bigger, better and faster,” he said.

Rivers said he is only looking forward to one thing when he heads out to St. Louis.

“Getting back to playing football,” he said.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He ran a 4.56 40 yd dash, verted 39 1/2", and jumped 10' 8".

Amazing, explosive numbers.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOYvwJxGdnI[/youtube]

If he can tackle he could be a beast on special teams.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Our forum guys at camp have been giving really positive reports on him. Sounds like he's a beast in the Okie drills.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Chris Long has always been great at slapping the hands down of the tackle before they can engage him. That is the first move this guy has, he also has a great punch to the shoulder to knock the tackle back or at least get them off balance and then he floors it to the edge. They have put him out there a ton in the second phase of the Oline/Dline battle. His motor doesn't seem to stop.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
jimitroutboy said:
Chris Long has always been great at slapping the hands down of the tackle before they can engage him. That is the first move this guy has, he also has a great punch to the shoulder to knock the tackle back or at least get them off balance and then he floors it to the edge. They have put him out there a ton in the second phase of the Oline/Dline battle. His motor doesn't seem to stop.
Does he appear as athletic as he does in his workout tape, so far? And does he have any moves? Another comment, question, it sounds as if Robert Quinn has gained enough strength to bull rush? This will be BIG for his game. My only complaint is that he's a one trick pony of sort.

Anybody who has an opinion?

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
DR RAM said:
jimitroutboy said:
Does he appear as athletic as he does in his workout tape, so far? And does he have any moves? Another comment, question, it sounds as if Robert Quinn has gained enough strength to bull rush? This will be BIG for his game. My only complaint is that he's a one trick pony of sort.

The first time I watched Long and Quinn was a bull rush and he got Long down on his knees. Its so hard without live football and a different opponent to say absolutely what is going on with those two. It may just be that Quinn is just that good and is now in his third year and is learning to counter.

It may also just be that Long is rusty and getting his feet back underneath him.

Rivers likes to rip and turn the corner but I have also seen him cross under like Little used to.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
jimitroutboy said:
DR RAM said:
jimitroutboy said:

The first time I watched Long and Quinn was a bull rush and he got Long down on his knees. Its so hard without live football and a different opponent to say absolutely what is going on with those two. It may just be that Quinn is just that good and is now in his third year and is learning to counter.

It may also just be that Long is rusty and getting his feet back underneath him.

Rivers likes to rip and turn the corner but I have also seen him cross under like Little used to.
Thanks for the info, and your valuable time.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
jimitroutboy said:
DR RAM said:
jimitroutboy said:

I think Quinn has a distinct advantage in this situation. He knows almost every play is a pass. It's like 3rd and long on every play.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
max said:
jimitroutboy said:
DR RAM said:
jimitroutboy said:

I think Quinn has a distinct advantage in this situation. He knows almost every play is a pass. It's like 3rd and long on every play.
Defensive players always have the advantage in Okie drills...that's the point, no reading, no hesitation, no responsibility, just GO. If the offensive guy can stop him, all the more props to him. Quinn couldn't bull rush a barn door before this, and he isn't bursting with a plethora of Pro Bowl moves either, but his speed rush is devastating, and special. If he works in one other move, AND can bull rush, he will be unstoppable, IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
Our forum guys at camp have been giving really positive reports on him. Sounds like he's a beast in the Okie drills.

Yeah I'm liking what we hear of him so far. Lots of positive vibe from our guys and the media.

Fun guy to root for!