GDT: SNF / Rams at 49’ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really?
Probably has nothing to do with scoring 16 points against a defense that tnat gave up 52 to the dolphins last week.

The 49ers D gave up so many points because that Moseley CB was hurt and the guy they started got torched relentlessly. I watched a half, and Miami burned him for three or four TDs. It was like watching Justin King all over again. The 49ers clearly played like shit last week, and we played like shit this week, but it wasn't exactly the same defense.

TomMack

Rookie
The 49ers D gave up so many points because that Moseley CB was hurt and the guy they started got torched relentlessly. I watched a half, and Miami burned him for three or four TDs. It was like watching Justin King all over again. The 49ers clearly played like shit last week, and we played like shit this week, but it wasn't exactly the same defense.
Ok...got all that.
The Rams still only scored 16 points. Just saying.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still only scored 16 points.
hard to beat anybody scoring 16 points.
Cant score when you dont have the ball.
Game was lost in the 1st half. Disgrace they couldnt stop a 3rd and 7 when everyone knew they were running the ball.
The defense sucked

oldnotdead

Legend
Out coached especially on defense. Staley's defense just proved what I've been saying about it. They can't keep an offense from running out the clock if the Rams trail or it's a close game. McVay outsmarted himself in his offensive game plan and it didn't help with his WRs dropping the ball. But it goes back to what I keep saying. That it's the offense that needs to outscore the opponents because Staley's stupid scheme will always keep the opposition in the game. You have a gimpy QB so you allow him unlimited quick short passes??? Give me a freaking break. The Niners dink and dunk their way down the field and ran over the backup d-line whenever they were in there which was often.

Staley's defense that we saw tonight is exactly what I've been warning about for weeks. Too damn soft. He's got two really good man coverage CBs in Ramsey and Williams but he plays Ramsey at nickel???? Are you freaking kidding me? Staley needs to get his head out of his butt or it's going to be one and done in the playoffs. Staley has proved his scheme can't beat even a halfway decent offense. His guys are poorly coached and can't tackle and can't cover. ITS COACHING!!! He's got the players but he simply doesn't know how to use them. Too many missed tackles, that is clearly a sign of poor coaching because it means everyone has poor technique.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok...got all that.
The Rams still only scored 16 points. Just saying.

No excuses. Goff played poorly. Kupp played poorly. And McVay refused to run the ball the way he should have. Bad job all around.

Marc Spector

Rookie
So a team that averages 11 wins a season. Gotcha

A team that averages 11 wins but at this rate, will never raise a Lombardi because they fold anytime somone figures them out on Offense.

Even in the years our defense was above average, we also got curbstomped because Sean gets away from the run or Jared and Co. need a foot massage, dinner served on a platter and Spa Treatment to move the offense.

TO their credit, Sean is improving with running the Ball. Jared will make a few more plays here and there AND isnt as fumble happy as previous years.

But those GLARING flaws are still present. Call it chicken little BS or whatever, BUT thats who the team is.

Marc Spector

Rookie
Out coached especially on defense. Staley's defense just proved what I've been saying about it. They can't keep an offense from running out the clock if the Rams trail or it's a close game. McVay outsmarted himself in his offensive game plan and it didn't help with his WRs dropping the ball. But it goes back to what I keep saying. That it's the offense that needs to outscore the opponents because Staley's stupid scheme will always keep them in the game. You have a gimpy QB so you allow him unlimited quick short passes??? Give me a freaking break. The Niners dink and dunk their way down the field and ran over the backup d-line whenever they were in there which was often.

Staley's defense that we saw tonight is exactly what I've been warning about for weeks. Too damn soft. He's got two really good man coverage CBs in Ramsey and Williams but he plays Ramsey at nickel???? Are you freaking kidding me? Staley needs to get his head out of his butt or it's going to be one and done in the playoffs. Staley has proved his scheme can't beat even a halfway decent offense. His guys are poorly coached and can't tackle and can't cover. ITS COACHING!!! He's got the players but he simply doesn't know how to use them. Too many missed tackles, that is clearly a sign of poor coaching because it means everyone has poor technique.

Props because youve been consistent on Staley and ive been seeing the same thing all year too.

TomMack

Rookie
Cant score when you dont have the ball.
Game was lost in the 1st half. Disgrace they couldnt stop a 3rd and 7 when everyone knew they were running the ball.
The defense sucked
so this guy Moseley makes their defense 36 points better against a better offensive team?
That dude is obviously the best player ever in this league.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Out coached especially on defense. Staley's defense just proved what I've been saying about it. They can't keep an offense from running out the clock if the Rams trail or it's a close game. McVay outsmarted himself in his offensive game plan and it didn't help with his WRs dropping the ball. But it goes back to what I keep saying. That it's the offense that needs to outscore the opponents because Staley's stupid scheme will always keep the opposition in the game. You have a gimpy QB so you allow him unlimited quick short passes??? Give me a freaking break. The Niners dink and dunk their way down the field and ran over the backup d-line whenever they were in there which was often.

I've disagreed with your critiques on Staley's defense all season but the first half of this game really showed all its flaws. It's really infuriating to see a defense come out and play a prevent-style over and over and over until the second half. No excuse for the defense to have gotten carved up like that by Jimmy freakin' G. So many head scratching decisions going into this game.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Its like all Shanahan cares about is beating McVay while McVay is trying to build a team to beat everyone else.

Someone needs to tell McVay that from now on out, he has 1 fucking job: crush the 49ers.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
so this guy Moseley makes their defense 36 points better against a better offensive team?
That dude is obviously the best player ever in this league.
They had a bad game against Miami, we get it. Had only given up 40 points in 3 games prior. They have a good D, the Rams had a lousy offensive game plan and the defense couldnt stop them. Ugly loss

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
One game changes an entire season huh. Greenbay got stomped today. And I guess the Dolphins will win the AFC?

Chicken littles. Shoot, we'll fix it.
Who have wed beat? We may make the playoffs in an expanded format but I see a flawed team. We knew the 49ers would want to run. They have a weak oline and yet they did just that.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Defense couldnt come close to stopping them in 1st half, team had almost 300 yards.
Rams got lucky 49ers lost Mostert and got a little conservative, but when they needed to make plays, they turned it right on

I don't agree with this. They made two plays at the end to win, yes - but if Kupp catches that TD, with our D shutting them down, we would have won IMO. They couldn't turn it on much at all in the second half

oldnotdead

Legend
One last post in this thread. Staley is IMO a huge downgrade to Phillips. He's too soft and has shown he's incapable of adjusting to the actual flow of the game. He's a very poor coach and it's reflected in how poorly his guys play at times and especially in their horrendous tackling which has been evident all season.

Again I want to emphasize that it isn't the players. It's the idiotic scheme they are forced to play and it's Staley's idiotic assignments of positions that is creating this situation. In other words, it's Staley and his scheme. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A DC THAT PLAYS A PREVENT DEFENSE AS HIS BASE SCHEME. A Tampa 2 is a conservative approach but Staley's is a prevent in the way he implements it. He waits for the offense to make a mistake. Other teams play zone schemes but they play it aggressively not passively waiting for an offensive mistake which is what Staley does.

If you go back and break down the game you will see that poor throws by Jimmy G stop the Niners more than anything the Rams defense did. It's DC 100 that when you are playing a struggling inconsistent QB you force him to hold the ball or to force it. Staley left all the short passes basically uncontested allowing Jimmy to get rid of the ball quickly not allowing the pass rush to get to him. In other words, Staley actually enabled the Niner game plan to work and he didn't change a damn thing all game long, no adjustments of worth even in the second half. If the Niners had a better QB they would have blown the Rams out in the first half and it would have been over by half time.

There is only one solution. Fire Staley, but that won't happen because he's Sean's new bro. So Staley will be allowed to squander the talent on this team unabated.

fearsomefour

Legend
Naw.

This is who the team is. 3 years and going on 4 seasons of this should be enough of a sample size.
There are 5 starters on O and 3 starters on D left from 2017.
Basically whole new coaching staff except McVay and a few others.
Rams are one of the youngest teams in the league.
So, to this point under McVay there has been the dreaded roster turnover and coaching staff changes.
McVay has to this point a 37-17 record....a 68.5 winning percentage.
McVay can be frustrating and exhibits, at times, Martz like elements that can be frustrating.
Wasting timeouts.
Having a hard time adjusting in game if the original game plan doesn’t work.
But, if you think the Rams would be further along with some retread like Mike McCarthy or John Fox or some other wack a doodle coordinator getting their head coaching chance based on them putting in time as a coordinator.....well, I couldn’t disagree more.
I never want to go back to the incompetent days of Spags or Linehan.
McVay will soon be passing Ray Malavasi to move to 4th all time in terms of Rams coaching wins (RM has 40).
The Rams have had many coaches.
Few really good.
McVay has a chance to be great.
He needs to be given some leeway.

fearsomefour

Legend
One last post in this thread. Staley is IMO a huge downgrade to Phillips. He's too soft and has shown he's incapable of adjusting to the actual flow of the game. He's a very poor coach and it's reflected in how poorly his guys play at times and especially in their horrendous tackling which has been evident all season.

Again I want to emphasize that it isn't the players. It's the idiotic scheme they are forced to play and it's Staley's idiotic assignments of positions that is creating this situation. In other words, it's Staley and his scheme. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A DC THAT PLAYS A PREVENT DEFENSE AS HIS BASE SCHEME. A Tampa 2 is a conservative approach but Staley's is a prevent in the way he implements it. He waits for the offense to make a mistake. Other teams play zone schemes but they play it aggressively not passively waiting for an offensive mistake which is what Staley does.

If you go back and break down the game you will see that poor throws by Jimmy G stop the Niners more than anything the Rams defense did. It's DC 100 that when you are playing a struggling inconsistent QB you force him to hold the ball or to force it. Staley left all the short passes basically uncontested allowing Jimmy to get rid of the ball quickly not allowing the pass rush to get to him. In other words, Staley actually enabled the Niner game plan to work and he didn't change a damn thing all game long, no adjustments of worth even in the second half. If the Niners had a better QB they would have blown the Rams out in the first half and it would have been over by half time.

There is only one solution. Fire Staley, but that won't happen because he's Sean's new bro. So Staley will be allowed to squander the talent on this team unabated.
His half time adjustments have been spot on week after week.
Why he can’t adjust before half time Im not sure.