GDT: Cowboys at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams Set to Take On Cowboys for First Preseason Game

Myles Simmons

[www.therams.com]

It is preseason, but NFL football in Los Angeles will kick off for the first time in two decades Saturday evening when the Rams take on the Cowboys.

Through about two weeks of training camp, Los Angeles has been making steady progress, particularly when it comes to the quarterback position. While Case Keenum will be the starter, No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff should get plenty of playing time in his first live NFL action.

“I feel good, I feel ready,” Goff said. “Obviously, [it’s] my first NFL game. I’m going to try and go out there and treat it like every other game I’ve ever played in my life, and have fun, execute, enjoy my time, and do the best I can.”

“We want him just to relax Saturday night,” offensive coordinator Rob Boras said. “It’s just kind of like when we started OTAs and we started training camp, everybody gets on edge — there’s a lot of expectations. The more that he can go out there and just settle in, like we saw him settle in at the Coliseum during the family day, he’s going to play confident.”

Though he is notable, Goff is certainly not the only rookie who will be making contributions on Saturday night. Fourth-round picks Tyler Higbee and Pharoh Cooper appear poised to begin making their mark this week. Both have been seeing time in camp with the first-team offense, which should translate into plenty of snaps versus Dallas.

“Tyler has the potential to play very, very early for us and be a big time part of our offense,” head coach Jeff Fisher said of Higbee, later adding that the club is expecting Cooper “to be a productive player inside. I think you will see a lot of plays out of him this preseason.”

All starters will likely play just two to three series in Saturday’s contest, but for some that’s enough. Defensive tackle Aaron Donald is one of those players. He’s been a “practice wrecker” throughout camp, and is looking forward to getting his feet wet with a little on-field time once again.

“Get back out there and get a little feel for the game, speed of the game, and get back into things,” Donald said. “We’ve been going against each other for a while, so it’s going to be good to go up against somebody else.”

According to Fisher, Donald is likely not the only Ram who feels that way.

“Our interior center and two guards have just about had enough of Aaron Donald,” the head coach joked. “They’re looking forward to lining up against someone else.”

An undoubtedly historic occasion at one of the nation’s most storied sports venues, the Rams are expecting a particularly large crowd. After witnessing a nice crowd for Family Day last week, word has gotten around that this week’s attendance is expected to be high.

“It’s definitely going to be a big game,” wide receiver Tavon Austin said. “One thing I know — our side is definitely going to bring it. And we’ll see from there.”

For T.J. McDonald, Saturday will represent a homecoming as the safety played his college ball in the stadium as a USC Trojan.

“Just to be in the Coliseum again in this capacity is something special,” McDonald said, “and I’m excited for it.”

But when it comes to the big crowd, Fisher had one request for L.A. Rams fans at his Thursday press conference.

“I want them to go home having lost their voices,” Fisher said. “We want to hear them. We need that ‘12th man.’ If they go home and they’ve lost their voices, they did their job.”

Kickoff at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum is scheduled for 5 p.m. PDT. The game will be televised on ESPN and simulcast on ABC 7.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
There is a quiet excitement in me. Lots of things have been going on in my personal life the past couple months and I am very much aware that this team is still very very young and it is going to take some time for them to come together...especially on Offense, but ....... there is so much new. So much promise. So many expectations. So many unknowns.

A return to a new city (not many teams can say that). So many young and unproven on the offensive side of the ball. A new scheme that we really don't know of what to expect. On Defense we have several Vets, set to make their debuts in new roles. Every year, fans from every team can basically say they are excited and have something new to look forward to. But right now, Rams fans have so much new that it tickles the veins and palpates the heart. And it's not just the fans. The players and the coaches ...all the way up to the top of the front office , must be feeling this same thing. I sit here likening it to the first year of an expansion team, yet one that already has a true, loyal and gigantic fan base.

A historic franchise is about to add and expound on it's history. History is going to be made for a historic franchise, at a historic venue, in the 2nd largest city in the United States tonight. To be here right now .... during this time.... is very special to me as a fan. So much so that it is almost hard for me to fathom that it is real. I don't know what to expect.... but I am damn sure excited to see it. And I am not even there. I can only imagine what it must feel like for those that are able to be there.

So ... at 5:00 p.m. PDT ..... LET'S TEAR THIS FUCKING LEAGUE UP!

I am more than ready.....are you? ......

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The wait is over. Football is finally here!
I can hardly wait to see these rooks on the field, with the rest of the team, in some real action.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
A lot to be excited this year !, this has been the longest off season ever. I am pumped to see how Goff and the other offensive Rookies play , in addition to competition at cornerback. I usually wont watch pre-season because of all the injuries but this year I cant miss it.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
There is a quiet excitement in me. Lots of things have been going on in my personal life the past couple months and I am very much aware that this team is still very very young and it is going to take some time for them to come together...especially on Offense, but ....... there is so much new. So much promise. So many expectations. So many unknowns.

A return to a new city (not many teams can say that). So many young and unproven on the offensive side of the ball. A new scheme that we really don't know of what to expect. On Defense we have several Vets, set to make their debuts in new roles. Every year, fans from every team can basically say they are excited and have something new to look forward to. But right now, Rams fans have so much new that it tickles the veins and palpates the heart. And it's not just the fans. The players and the coaches ...all the way up to the top of the front office , must be feeling this same thing. I sit here likening it to the first year of an expansion team, yet one that already has a true, loyal and gigantic fan base.

A historic franchise is about to add and expound on it's history. History is going to be made for a historic franchise, at a historic venue, in the 2nd largest city in the United States tonight. To be here right now .... during this time.... is very special to me as a fan. So much so that it is almost hard for me to fathom that it is real. I don't know what to expect.... but I am damn sure excited to see it. And I am not even there. I can only imagine what it must feel like for those that are able to be there.

So ... at 5:00 p.m. PDT ..... LET'S TEAR THIS freaking LEAGUE UP!

I am more than ready.....are you? ......
Great post Redding! I'm feeling it too. This is the start of something pretty special. And all the right things are falling into place. LA, Goff, Gurley, the OL, exciting passing weapons, this defense peaking...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I want to see a statement game by Goff, where he settles in and looks like a starter. I believe that's what we're going to see.

But also those WRs... Will Spruce keep doing what he did in practice in the game? I know his history is huge production but can he do it? And Cooper... Sure would be nice to see him blow the F up in his first game in horns, and like Spruce he's a guy who every defense in college marked before each snap and it didn't matter. Will Quick rise to the occasion?

So many storylines with this team that is on the cusp of figuring it out. Cannot believe how psyched I am for this game. Go RAMS!!!

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I'm psyched!! I can't wait to get to the game! I just picked up my daughter at BUR airport and will be heading towards downtown shortly! For the first time, I am totally fired up for a preseason game! The Coliseum should be rocking! So much so that they'll see results at Cal Tech! GO RAMS!!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watching the last EPL match of the morning then time to get stuff done around the house so I can plop myself down and enjoy the 1st game of the preseason!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Like Merlin, I'm especially interested in how the WR's do. Route running, GETTING OPEN AND CATCHING THE BALL!! A lot of dropped balls so far in TC (excepting Spruce, who has not dropped a ball thrown his way yet).

…..

Legend
I'm conflicted.....

Jeff using the same old tired phrases like "we're going to be vanilla" and focus on "evaluations of new players"

yet....

91,000 rabid fans that have been waiting a few decades .....

ya kinda wanna open up with a bang don't ya?

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm conflicted.....

Jeff using the same old tired phrases like "we're going to be vanilla" and focus on "evaluations of new players"

yet....

91,000 rabid fans that have been waiting a few decades .....

ya kinda wanna open up with a bang don't ya?

I'm with you Dog..... How the heck do you not showcase your team without a little Razzle Dazzle and call a few plays that gets the crowd in a wild uproar of excitement? Maybe he will but he swears vanilla is all that is being served this evening....

tumblr_n59o43vpic1t358leo1_500.gif

Last edited:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm with you Dog..... How the heck do you not showcase your team without a little Razzle Dazzle and call a few plays that gets the crowd in a wild uproar of excitement? Maybe he will but he swears vanilla is all that is being served this evening....

tumblr_n59o43vpic1t358leo1_500.gif
Well ... you do have to be smart about it. There is no sense in risking injury or psyche over the first preseason game of the year. Just go out, execute, get some work and come out healthy. To me, that is a WIN.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Tons of players of interest to keep an eye on, of course.

But what were our biggest team needs when we closed out the '15 season?

QB
WR
TE

Sooooo...

Goff/Keenum/Mannion
Cooper, Thomas, Spruce, Williams, Quick, and Marquez
Higbee

These are the guys that I will be watching like a mama bear watching her cubs in springtime.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
hopefully we all get to see a team that, in short, is basically tired of the "7-9 bullshit" as is the fan base. that would be something to see.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Also add...
OL- Grob? Saffold at RT? Rotation at backup G/C?
RB- no Tre opens the door for Aaron Green? Magee?
DL- rotation? Fit of Coples, Easley?
LB- AO in the middle?
CB- EJ healthy? Who else steps up?
FS- does Mo have the range & instincts?
K- will GZ look solid or shaky?

Sheesh you'd think the storyline of a #1 pick at QB would be plenty... Pretty much the only thing not interesting is the waterboy, snapper and Hekker (if he's behaving himself).

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
My biggest concern: games end, NO INJURIES! Secondly: Rams win!

On a side note: Rams set another attendance record, largest crowd for pre-season game.