Garrett Reynolds has much to gain as a starter/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams guard Garrett Reynolds has much to gain as a starter
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...arrett-reynolds-has-much-to-gain-as-a-starter

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Despite many, present company included, imploring the St. Louis Rams to add a starting-caliber veteran or two to their offensive line during the offseason, they decided to go with a full blown youth movement, spending five draft picks on the line.

But they did add one veteran in versatile backup Garrett Reynolds. The Rams clearly signed Reynolds for depth at both guard spots and right tackle but in signing him to the deal, it was also clear that both sides had an eye on potential for him to jump into the starting lineup at some point.

That some time has arrived as starting right guard Rodger Saffold went on injured reserve with a shoulder ailment last week, effectively ending his season. Reynolds is the next man up and will step into one of the starting guard jobs in Saffold's absence.

Beyond the increase in playing time, Reynolds has plenty to gain by getting into the starting lineup, namely in the form of playing time bonuses.

Those playing time bonuses were categorized as "not likely to be earned" based on Reynolds' previous playing time and his expected role with the Rams but now he has a shot at earning himself some dollars beyond his $750,000 base salary.

Here's how the bonuses break down:

At 25 percent of snaps -- $100,000

At 35 percent of snaps -- $200,000

At 45 percent of snaps -- $400,000

At 55 percent of snaps -- $600,000

At 65 percent of snaps -- $800,000

At 75 percent of snaps (plus an unknown team qualifier) -- $1 million

Of course, since we are a little less than a third of the way through the season, it will be hard for Reynolds to get enough snaps to reach the top end of these bonuses but assuming he can stay healthy, there's no reason to think he won't be able to add another nice chunk of change by the time the season is over.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I hope his play determines his time on the field...not some silly contract....Is he the best run blocking guard on the team? I tend to lean toward Wichman, as a power player, younger, and Reynolds versatility to play other positions..We need a guy that can step in at any moment....Who's that guy on the bench now? Who'd play RT, LT, OG, if a starter goes down? I think Reynolds has huge value in this role...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope his play determines his time on the field...not some silly contract....Is he the best run blocking guard on the team? I tend to lean toward Wichman, as a power player, younger, and Reynolds versatility to play other positions..We need a guy that can step in at any moment....Who's that guy on the bench now? Who'd play RT, LT, OG, if a starter goes down? I think Reynolds has huge value in this role...

Easy. Reynolds steps into any of those positions .........and then Wichman steps in at ORG for him.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 thinking strategic reserve:
That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is are we keeping the better player on the bench. Then I think, what do we gain. Having the best player on the field at a critical stretch in the season. We know he's starting instead of the other options but we can't be sure of what that means. We, IMO, started some vets like Wells instead of Barnes simply because he was a vet. What do we lose by playing Reynolds instead of Wichman when we can always move Reynolds to one of the vacancies you think we might have? We lose the experience that Wichman would have gained. I don't think any of us knows how good Wichman is or will become but for me, I have no wish to be forced to find out anytime soon. I think his injury set him back in his development.