Garrett Gilbert: I Haven't Been Under Center Since 6th Grade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Forgive me for being a tad naive as I'm not from the US, but why aren't QB's under centre in college? Bridgwater was so why wasn't Gilbert?
If he has aspirations of making it in the nfl, shouldn't he be learning it?
If a QB is good enough to get drafted, surely he's good enough to take snaps under centre?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Forgive me for being a tad naive as I'm not from the US, but why aren't QB's under centre in college? Bridgwater was so why wasn't Gilbert?
If a QB is good enough to get drafted, surely he's good enough to take snaps under centre?

You run the plays the coach gives you from the formations that the coach calls.

College coaches like the spread and shotgun formations / makes it much easier on the QB to make his reads.

UkRam83

UDFA
And easier to protect the QB as he has a bit of a headstart over the pass rush.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's just the way the college game has changed. Teddy played for a coach that ran more of an NFL style offense. Most QBs though play in more of a spread in college which means shotgun and there is no way the player is going to just decide he is going to go under center because they do that in the NFL. And it's center not centre. :D