Ganaway: Can I take your order please?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I have never even heard of an NFL player working in essentially fast food during the offseason.

From JT of the Post-Dispatch:

Some NFL players go to the beach, head overseas or just relax back home at this point of the offseason.

Rams running back Terrance Ganaway heads to work at Jimmy John’s on Fourth Street in Waco, Texas.

“I’m on the line that makes the sandwiches,” Ganaway said. “I bake bread. Take the cashier spot. I had to sweep the other day. Clean the tables. I mean, all types of stuff. Slice the meat. Wrap the meat.”

Everything that any other employee of the sandwich shop chain would do except get in his car and deliver sandwiches.

“I’m in the heat of the battle,” Ganaway said. “Trying to make sandwiches fast is Jimmy John’s policy, so it’s kind of stressful.”

Following his first pro season, the Baylor product found he had a lot of free time on his hands. Too much free time.

“I just wanted to stay fit, stay out of trouble, and really just try to save money and not spend a lot of money,” he said. “So I just jokingly tweeted that I needed a job in Waco. Was anyone hiring?

Well, a Jimmy John’s employee tweeted back: “We’re hiring.”

Ganaway looked into it, applied for a job and got hired. For the last several weeks, he has been working part-time — 12 hours a week — from 5-9 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.

Ganaway doesn’t have any children, but he jokes that when he does, he’ll tell them he once worked two jobs to get them through school.

“My No. 1 job is being an NFL player,” Ganaway said. “So don’t get it confused as to me working at Jimmy John’s has me lazy. ... I know what I have to do. I know how to get in shape and I know what it takes to perform at a high level. Really, Jimmy John’s is just to keep me out of trouble in all the down time we have in the offseason.”

Claimed off waivers from the New York Jets at the end of the 2012 preseason, Ganaway appeared in only three games for the Rams and didn’t have a carry or catch. With Steven Jackson, Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead on the roster, he had little in the way of opportunity, especially since he wasn’t with the team during training camp and the preseason.

But the Rams were intrigued enough with Ganaway to keep him on the roster all season. And if Jackson voids his contract and ends up playing elsewhere, Ganaway could fill a big-back role at 6-1, 240, in what could be a running back-by-committee approach with Richardson and Pead.

“From April 15 when we start (the offseason conditioning program) to the end of the season in December, it’s a long, grinding process,” Ganaway said. “And I just want to make sure my body’s healthy, ready to go and ready to answer when they call my number.”

Ganaway works out just about every day; twice on some days. But for 12 hours each week, it’s all about the sandwiches. Not unlike an NFL rookie, Ganaway has struggled to learn his sandwich-making playbook.

“Got to learn everything on the menu,” he said. “It’s something that I’m learning every day. You’ve got to know your sandwich.”

And with many customers, there are audibles to contend with.

“I’ve been getting a lot of audibles on sandwiches,” he said. “So on an Italian Nightclub — no onions — I’ve got to make sure there’s no onions on there.”

Ganaway made the NFL’s minimum wage this past season with the Rams — $390,000. He’s not sure what he’s making at Jimmy John’s.

“I’m probably guessing minimum wage — $7.25 to $7.50 (an hour),” he said.

But he’s not there for the money. He says he enjoys being in the trenches, so to speak, and loves his co-workers.

“They’re good people,” he said. “I’m very outgoing, so I love meeting people.”

Baylor fans love meeting Ganaway. The former teammate of Robert Griffin III was a star in his own right in 2011 for the Bears, rushing for 1,547 yards, scoring 22 touchdowns and setting or tying 12 school records.

But not every Baylor football fan recognizes him when ordering a sandwich.

“You know, I’m in uniform,” Ganaway said. “I’ve got an apron on, with a visor. I’ve got gloves. So unless I recognize somebody and I say, ‘Hey, what’s up man?’ They look at me kind of weird and say: ‘Why are you working at Jimmy John’s?’ ”

In those instances, Ganaway doesn’t mind talking football. In fact, he had his own self-styled promotion one night, giving out one of his signed rookie cards to every 25th customer.

“I wound up giving pretty much all the cards away,” he said.

However, there’s not always time for gridiron gab, or renewing acquaintances with familiar faces from his college days.

“I tend not to worry about who’s coming in, especially when that sandwich line gets long and I’ve gotta make a million sandwiches in about two minutes,” he said.

It’s a lesson he learned the hard way, when one of the store’s shift managers came down on him for spending too much time talking football on the job.

“It was a changeup that I had to adjust to at work,” Ganaway said. “But it’s really a great environment and I love working there.”

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
That's actually one of the most responsible things I've ever heard of a young athlete in his position doing.

Good kid.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That's really awesome of Ganaway. Like he said, it'll help him stay out of trouble, and the fact that he's actually took the initiative to get this job makes it even better. You just don't see a lot of people do that nowadays.

He's going to go far, even if it's not in the NFL. But I hope he turns out well for us.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Great story. Seems like a kid with his head screwed on right.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I wonder if they have another opening for Jenkins... :bg:

iced

I bet he's got his own huge meal named after him..

"#10, the Gain-a-weight please"

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
By the looks of this, he needs to start doing deliveries too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVUXomsutdc[/youtube]

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What an awesome story. I hope he keeps the job until camp!

nighttrain

Legend
Leave Jenkins alone, kid did great for what was supposed to be a head case..Ganaway, the dude will to anything, and that's a good sign..
train

iced

nighttrain said:
Leave Jenkins alone, kid did great for what was supposed to be a head case..Ganaway, the dude will to anything, and that's a good sign..
train

Oh calm down. I'm just kiddin'. I can tell he's a good kid - met him after the dolphins game.

nighttrain

Legend
iced said:
nighttrain said:
train

Oh calm down. I'm just kiddin'. I can tell he's a good kid - met him after the dolphins game.

and i was just puttin you on...Iceman
train

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Good read. Sounds like a young man that doesn't mind rolling up his sleeves and working... even with the NFL moniker attached to his name.