Game review - Giants - We are on the right path.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Last night I rewatched the Giants game from last season. My first return to that game because I just couldn't face it.

I came away reassured we would win that game big this season. For me, it cemented in my mind that the Rams are making the right moves.

First, as a caveat, there were two unusual turnovers by the Rams. Cunningham coughed it up on the 20 on a kick return. Hill threw high to TA and TA tipped it up and it came down in the hands of a D lineman.

Even with these early turnovers that resulted in 10 points for the Giants, the Rams were only down by a score near the end of the third. The Rams lost by those 10 points.

So why would we win big this season?

In the end we lost that game because of T. Johnson and the O line. Beckham Jr. and others beat Johnson like a drum all game. Gaines missed half the game.

Jenkins did give up a long TD to Beckham in either a bonehead move or his safety wasn't where he was supposed to be. Let's hope, with experience and consistency in scheme, those mistakes are behind us.

But to boil it down, most of the missed throws were Hill under pressure from a milktoast O line. Hill was taken to the ground 9 times and running for his life most of the game. But Hill did also miss some wide open receivers that would have blown that game open and we've upgraded the QB. In my mind, I'm officially of the opinion we have also upgraded the O line, short one proven center.

Britt made some spectacular catches. Mason was killing them. Tavon Austin was taking yards in every way possible. Bailey was catching everything. Cook was making nice plays. All they needed was a second more in the pocket for Hill and more accurate throws. Rams offense could have steamrolled them.

With Quick back, Foles, Gurley, and the upgraded line, I can see the Rams winning a LOT this season because with just Foles and a decent line, we would have won a LOT last season, IMHO.

I have read others say this was the defense being inconsistent, but it really mostly wasn't. They were damned stout most of the time. They faced two short yardage turnovers and were fingertips away from two interceptions. Johnson was the weak link and the Giants exploited him all game.

I'm more excited after watching that travesty than before. Flukes, better O line play, and a better CB, and that's a Rams blowout. In fact, just better O line play would have gotten the W.

The game ended on a Wells' snap over Hill's head for a lost fumble. Kind of sums it all up.

We need a center to step up badly.

Oh yeah, and Schotty called a few plays that had zero hope of getting the yards we needed when we desperately needed them for a comeback. Hopefully we have upgraded on play calling too. He did that nonsense all season IMHO.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@RamzFanz the Giants defense was horrible...Still is IMO.....But the play of Tru was surprising....Either he is a lot worse than I ever imagined, or was still nursing a minor injury....Still to be determined....If he plays like that, EVER AGAIN, then please start EJ Gaines.....I'd always thought of Tru as the big look-down corner we always needed....In this game, he looked unable/incapable of playing press man-to-man coverage....

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
the Giants defense was horrible

Yep. They sucked for sure. The Rams o-line sucked worse though and the turnovers were "unearned".

Tru looked so outmatched, it was shocking. I hope it WAS a lingering injury.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Hey! I watched the Giants game last night too! I aught to start taking notes of the games. I've been watching every game we lost last year. Just barely finished the first one against the Niners.

Crazy how many games have looked way out of hand and we've still clawed away at it.