Gaines thought he'd go higher in the draft -- and the Rams did too --FSMW

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gaines thought he'd go higher in the draft -- and the Rams did too
Nate Latsch

FOX Sports Midwest

http://msn.foxsports.com/midwest/st...134.12603.418&cmpid=emc:fscom:nfl_rams&place6

E.J. Gaines did just about everything he could during the three days of the NFL Draft to avoid thinking about what was unfolding and how it impacted his so-close-he-could-taste-it football career.
The former University of Missouri cornerback, who grew up in the Kansas City suburb of Independence, Mo., played video games during the draft and later went with friends and family to shoot pool. He made sure his cell phone was with him everywhere he went and even kept it out of his pocket to make sure he'd know whenever the life-changing call came in.
"I've been doing all kinds of stuff to try to keep my mind away from the TV," Gaines explained later. "I know I have no say in who was going to call me, so when the phone call comes, just be by the phone to answer it."
When the call finally came, from St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher, Gaines was pleasantly surprised that he'd have the opportunity to begin his professional career just a few hours from home.
"It's a blessing, especially to stay close to home, close to where I played college football," Gaines said. "I'm excited to play for coach Fisher."

The Rams were surprised that the 5-foot-10, 190-pounder was still available when they selected him in the sixth round. St. Louis had him rated higher on their board and considered picking him earlier, so when he was still available at No. 188 overall, they felt like he fell to them.
"At one time we just said, 'You know what? Let's sit back and wait.' That's when we got E.J., which was nice," Rams general manager Les Snead said. "Instead of using picks to go get him, we said, 'Let's hold pat.'"
Gaines, 22, will have a good opportunity with the Rams.

St. Louis went into the draft needing help in the secondary, especially after releasing cornerback Cortland Finnegan. Before taking Gaines, the Rams picked Florida State cornerback Lamarcus Joyner in the second round and Utah State safety Maurice Alexander in the fourth.
Gaines will be competing for a roster spot or playing time with such guys as second-year players Brandon McGee, a fifth-round pick in 2013, and Darren Woodard and undrafted rookie free agents Greg Reid (Valdosta State), Marcus Roberson (Florida) and Jarrid Bryant (South Dakota).
"He's a good zone player, a good effort player, a solid tackler," Fisher said of Gaines. "He shows man-to-man skills and he's a good athlete. We had some spots available at the position so we feel like he's got a chance to come in and not only compete, but also do some things on special teams for us."

Gaines is ready to prove himself in the NFL. He thought he'd done just that during his three years as a starter at Mizzou, which included being named to the All-Big 12 Conference first team as a sophomore in 2011 and earning All-Southeastern Conference first-team honors as a senior last season.
Gaines showed what he was capable of when he limited Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans, an early-first-round pick, to four catches for eight yards during their one-on-one matchup last fall.
That was something he was asked about by scouts often during the grinding pre-draft process this spring, which included a trip to the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis and then his pro day in Columbia.
"Yes, they did," Gaines said. "They brought it up. Actually, all of them did. To see him go in the first round and see me go in the sixth is a little crazy to me, but ... it's a blessing. God has a plan for me and for Mike Evans and I'm sure we'll both be great in the NFL."
Gaines likely fell because of his size, but he's shown during his career in Columbia that he can cover anybody he's lined up against. Evans is a physical specimen at 6-5 and 231 pounds, about as big and strong and fast as any wide receiver anywhere.
So, yeah, he's proven himself against the best of the best in college.

In a conference call with reporters shortly after he got the call from Fisher, Gaines said he was more surprised than disappointed with being selected in the sixth round. Then he vowed to do whatever he had to to be able to get on the field for the Rams.
Gaines took the chip-on-his-shoulder cliche to another level when he tweeted, not long after he was selected by the Rams, that he had a Dorito on his shoulder. He didn't specify which flavor. Unfortunately.
But he will have every opportunity to prove himself in St. Louis. He was out there with his new rookie teammates on Friday, wearing a white No. 33 jersey, and will take the field for conditioning with his veteran teammates this week. He's eager to show what he can do, just like when he was a freshman in Columbia.
"I think there's plenty of things I can bring to the Rams as far as going inside and playing the nickel, playing outside at corner, even moving back and playing some safety," Gaines said. "I'll do whatever I have to, to get on the field. Like I said, if it's special teams, inside, outside, safety, it doesn't matter. I'll do whatever I have to."

Ramatik

Starter
I like this guy. I can't wait for him to "prove himself in the NFL".
I hope he's got a really big chip on his shoulder.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I like this guy. I can't wait for him to "prove himself in the NFL".
I hope he's got a really big chip on his shoulder.
So many little kids on this team now. Remember back in the day when all the Rams players looked like grizzled old war vets?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Gaines was a 6th rounder and McGee was a fifth the year before. Considering their college careers, that is a testament to the depth of this years draft.

I love the list of players added to the secondary this year. Joyner, Alexander, Haines, Reid, Roberson and Bryant. Throw in second year guys like Woodard and McGee and it would seem that the Rams will surely come out of camp with a very good Nickel and Dime option, plus improved depth in general. The roster turnover from a few years ago is quite remarkable.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Gaines was a 6th rounder and McGee was a fifth the year before. Considering their college careers, that is a testament to the depth of this years draft.

I love the list of players added to the secondary this year. Joyner, Alexander, Haines, Reid, Roberson and Bryant. Throw in second year guys like Woodard and McGee and it would seem that the Rams will surely come out of camp with a very good Nickel and Dime option, plus improved depth in general. The roster turnover from a few years ago is quite remarkable.
My hope is that we can either turn a guy or two into a pick or are able to stash them on the practice squad.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree, seems there are a few too many. I actually don't expect much from Roberson or the free agent Bryant, or Woodard. But I expect the draft picks and Reid to all be competitive enough to peak the interest of other teams.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So many little kids on this team now. Remember back in the day when all the Rams players looked like grizzled old war vets?

Snead made a comment last year "we're raising babies" about how young the team was and boy it's appropriate. This is a group that could win a lot of games and maybe a title or tow if they stay around and they pan out at a decent rate.

Ramatik

Starter

Yes I do. And I remember they played like em too. But a little too old and a little too grizzled.

I realize, that our time might not be here this season, but I am very excited about how this is being put together.

It's been a long time since we've had a 6th rounder or non-drafted player become a Pro Bowler. We deserve a little luck and some good times!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lots of young legs in the secondary. I am anxious to see Gaines against NFL calibre players... Judging by his performance against Mike Evans (David Copperfield style) I think we may have a nice sleeper here.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

I thought Gaines was a third round talent.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought Phillip Gaines was a third round talent in this draft. I thought EJ was a 4th. Fisher says he has some man skills but I think he looks like a pure zone guy. Maybe he has room to learn?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I thought Phillip Gaines was a third round talent in this draft. I thought EJ was a 4th. Fisher says he has some man skills but I think he looks like a pure zone guy. Maybe he has room to learn?
Maybe, he'll compete at safety? He did shut Mike Evans down when he faced him. I put a little more stock on specific competition than some. I like to compare what I consider future pros against each other.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I didn't see that game but recall one report that the slow rush on Manziel really seemed to confuse and fluster him, thus causing him to miss seeing open targets. So, was that game more Gaines shutting down Evans? Or Pinkell figuring out Manzeils weaknesses? Or both?

Yes I do. And I remember they played like em too. But a little too old and a little too grizzled.

I realize, that our time might not be here this season, but I am very excited about how this is being put together.

It's been a long time since we've had a 6th rounder or non-drafted player become a Pro Bowler. We deserve a little luck and some good times!

hmifnglr.jpeg

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
You get about 5 picks in the 4th through 7th rounds.

You do well if you hit on one of them.

If you hit on 2 of them in the same year that's a great late round draft. And it's rare.

We got Givens and Zuerlein in 2012. The jury is still out on Givens.

Last year we got Stacy. Great pick. Jones is a question mark.

The point here is that we will have done well if just one of these late round picks is a hit.

Last edited:

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I can't believe he didn't go earlier. Was thinking he'd be a 4th rounder, and wouldn't have been surprised if he went in the 3rd.

Wonderboy

Rookie
This pick was an absolute steal. I live in Columbia and watch Mizzou football on Saturday just as closely as I watch the Rams on Sundays. He is a very good cover guy, not just in zone. And he is a high end tackler. He will find his way on to the field somehow. He's too good to stay off the field. We are going to have secondary guys that get cut from this team this year that get signed onto other teams. I don't think that EJ Gaines will be one of them.