Gaines continues to enjoy season of 'firsts' --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gaines continues to enjoy season of 'firsts'
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6535b4a3-770b-51b4-9b9f-6b49d4399919.html

Rams rookie defensive back E.J. Gaines enjoyed another couple of “firsts’’ last weekend in Philadelphia, coming up with a fumble recovery and an interception in the team’s 34-28 loss to the Eagles.

“For me, pretty much everything’s a first,’’ the former University of Missouri standout kidded Friday after practice at Rams Park. “But my first NFL interception, it definitely felt good.’’

The fumble recovery and the interception came early in the second quarter. The interception came on a pass intended for Eagles star receiver Jeremy Maclin, a former Kirkwood High and Mizzou star..

“He wasn’t too happy about that, I’m sure, but it was fun, playing against another Mizzou player, somebody I’m good friends with,’’ Gaines said. “We knew (the Eagles) liked to go vertical, especially with Jeremy, and worked on patterns like that all week in practice. (Philadelphia quarterback Nick) Foles threw it up there and I played it like a wide receiver.’’

Gaines, of Independence, Mo., did not play with Maclin in Columbia, but they met during Gaines’ recruiting visit. In addition, Gaines has worked at several of Maclin’s youth camps at Kirkwood High. In Sunday’s game, Maclin caught five passes for 76 yards, including a 24-yard touchdown that stretched the Philadelphia lead to 34-7 late in the third quarter.

Earlier in the second quarter, Gaines came up with his first career fumble recovery after linebacker Alec Ogletree knocked the ball from Eagles back LeSean McCoy.

“That’s just running to the football, something (defensive coordinator Gregg Williams) teaches day in and day out,’’ Gaines said. “We got after the football and that’s what we’re supposed to do as a defense.’’

A sixth-round pick in last May’s draft, Gaines continues to impress.“It was a great play he made on the deep ball,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “He’s shown up. He’s making plays, has a good feel for what we’re doing defensively. I’m proud of him, the way he’s stepped up.’’

Gaines insists he’s just trying to do the job expected of him.

“I feel like I should be working to get better each week,’’ he said. “I want to make plays for the defense as best as I can. They’re counting on me to play like a veteran, not like a rookie.’’

Stacy back at practice

Running back Zac Stacy, who went down with a calf injury in the second-quarter Sunday, returned to practice Friday at Rams Park and appears on track to play Monday night against the 49ers.

“Zac was a full practice today, which was good,’’ Fisher said. “We had a good day. I thought both sides are really into the plan (and) we got a lot done on the practice field.’’

Stacy, who leads the team with 223 yards on 55 carries, rushed 11 times for 48 yards and caught four passes for 36 yards before leaving Sunday’s 34-28 loss to the Eagles.

Benny Cunningham, another second-year pro, came on to finish the game, rushing seven times for 47 yards, including a 14-yard touchdown. Cunningham also caught three passes for 24 yards in the loss.

Center/guard Barrett Jones (back) and running back/special teamer Chase Reynolds (hip) were limited in practice Friday. The following players did not participate: linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar (groin), receiver Kenny Britt (knee), defensive linemen Eugene Sims (groin) and Alex Carrington (knee) and cornerbacks Trumaine Johnson (knee) and Brandon McGee (foot).

San Francisco’s injury report has two players who did not participate: cornerback Tramaine Brock (toe) and tackle Anthony Davis (knee).Six more were limited on Friday: tight end Vernon Davis (back), defensive end Ray McDonald (knee), defensive tackle Ian Williams (ankle), defensive end Tony Jerod-Eddie (shoulder), center Marcus Martin (knee) and linebacker Nick Moody (hamstring).

Punter Andy Lee (ankle) was a full participant, as was defensive end Justin Smith. Smith, the former Jefferson City High and Mizzou standout, sat out Thursday’s workout but is not injured.

RAM-BLINGS

From nflmedia.com, some interesting officiating numbers through Week 5:

• The average number of penalties has risen from 14.7 in 2013 to 17.0 so far this season.

• A breakdown of penalty “points of interest’’ notes that calls this year are up for illegal contact (59-15), defensive holding (115-52), offensive pass interference (39-25), illegal use of hands (76-28) and taunting/unsportsmanlike conduct (28-21).

Only calls for unnecessary roughness have gone down since last year (92-86). Also of note, the average time for NFL games is slightly quicker (3:05:41) than last season (3:09:44).

• Earlier this week, the Chicago Bears waived defensive end David Bass (University City/Missouri Western State) and then re-signed him to their practice squad. The 6-foot-4, 256-pound Bass was originally chosen by Oakland in the seventh round of the 2013 draft before being picked up on waivers by the Bears. Last year, he played in 12 games, with one start, and finished with 23 tackles, a sack and an interception returned for a touchdown. He had been active in just one game this season with the Bears.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I wish that the Rams would draft more players like this instead of going for the ones that have the fastest forty times and or the worst attitudes. A player that has good enough measurables and a great football acumen will take you farther every time.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I wish that the Rams would draft more players like this instead of going for the ones that have the fastest forty times and or the worst attitudes. A player that has good enough measurables and a great football acumen will take you farther every time.

Agree. But in one draft; Gaines and Joyner fit that mold.

I don't think they think much differently than you on that topic.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I couldn't be happier with the way Gaines has stepped up, but it is a little disappointing that our most effective rookie to this point was taken in the 6th round.

I know, I know - patience...

RamzFanz

Damnit
I couldn't be happier with the way Gaines has stepped up, but it is a little disappointing that our most effective rookie to this point was taken in the 6th round.

I know, I know - patience...

Donald has been very effective.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Donald has been very effective.

No doubt! And I think he'll be an All-Pro in a year or two, but I'd put Gaines a little bit ahead right now...

We all are rightfully anticipating AD's breakout game, hopefully this Monday!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
We should trade our 2nd rnd picks for boatloads of 5th and 6th rnd picks.