Fun With Millennials!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Cheesy jokes aside...watch this video. 24 minutes so watch it right before kickoff.

bluecoconuts

Legend
ell, sure. But I'm also talking about the way Universities are catering to the "apparent need for" social reform more than ever. Which, subsequently, allows more and more socially-driven malcontents to ignore the importance of a quality education in favor of becoming the saviors of humanity.

Oh yeah, I don't like universities that do that. I actually gave a lot of the higher ups at UCLA a bit of an ass chewing over how they handled the shooting last year (which probably wasn't smart on my part)... I told them that they shouldn't be holding their students hands, giving excuses for finals and having all these group therapy sessions. It was a murder suicide, I heard the shots and knew it was a murder suicide while everyone else was calling in reports of riflemen all over campus (because apparently they POLICE on both the front and back of their vests wasn't enough), and as I was leaving I saw students on the other side of campus crying and freaking out. I told them that their actions was going to traumatize these students because they're acting like they were part of some huge school shooting. It wasn't Sandy Hook or Virginia Tech, it was a murder suicide, these kids didn't need to get special counseling because a former student that they didn't know murdered a teacher that most had never heard of. It sucks, but that's going to happen in life and those kids needed to learn what the real world had for them.

I'm certain that's true. Technology is advancing at a rapid pace, and has, for as long as I've been in this industry (27 years). I keep up, my peers keep up, and the industry keeps humming along. Those who are reluctant to embrace new technology are phasing themselves out simply by virtue of not being able to fix anything without getting help from those of us who can. I see a lot of young guys working their way up, and some of them are capable of understanding things, and others just aren't. I don't know if that's a generational thing in as much as it's a dedication thing. Lotta REALLY smart boomers in my industry, anyway.

I agree with that, my dad told me that whatever industry I entered into, be ready for it to be completely different when I'm ready to retire, so that was a lesson I've always taken. He was an animator, so I saw it first hand as his job went from brightly lit rooms and him drawing by hand, to really dark rooms and everything on computers. I watched his long time work friends lose jobs and fail to get new ones because they didn't learn how to animate with computers as my father did (which subsequently allowed him to suddenly shoot up the ranks because he could take tips he did with traditional animation and apply it to computers).. That's something that I know, and I know there are plenty of others that figured it out. Still, some refuse to change with the times, which is a shame, because it holds back the next generation. That's stuff that should (mostly) work itself out as the next generation begins to take over, but as we're in this weird limbo state, I can see the frustration.

Climate change data on earth to better understand how others planets become uninhabitable over billions of years? I don't know that you'd get conclusive data, unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant by that. I mean, Mars - they say - was once capable of sustaining life, but there was no man-made influence on its change in climate. Oh wait. You didn't say man-made in what I quoted. That's my bad.

Yep, not necessarily talking about man made (Venus for example has runaway greenhouse gasses due to being too close to the sun)... Which is why it was incredibly frustrating to have our funding pulled and research shut down. It was nothing but politics and it's holding back human progress right now. It's completely asinine in my opinion.

Mars didn't have enough of a magnetic core to keep their magnetic field in tact so solar winds blew it all away and thus the planet died. It's more about if we find a planet that's 50,000 light years away, we want to be able to better predict what the climate would be like. We can do that with our climate change data here on Earth as we can create various models based on what we know, and our planet's history. It's just a tool to better understand planetary evolution, as well as aid in narrowing down potential planets to visit once we get to that stage... If we get to that stage. The fact that my boss was called in for a meeting and then blown off because the president was golfing (he was actually told to visit him on the golf course and then blown off) and then our research was shut down with that cited as me very much so rubbed the wrong way. That's just the reality of the situation though, I have qualifications to get plenty of jobs elsewhere, it's just a shame because that was my passion. While my fiancee is begging me to just get a job in Europe, I'm not quite ready to abandon the country I bled for... Although it's quickly getting to that point and it's a shame.

Yeah, we had to tolerate all of it. According to my leadership (4 companies, 2 battalions on two different continents, and oodles of platoon sergeants and Commodes and first sergeants) the only people who could be held responsible for failure were E5s. So the soldiers learned that they couldn't get in trouble because their NCO would get all the blame. And they promptly stopped giving a freak.

I do have to agree that it's hard to tell how much of this behavior is new to this generation and how much is being highlighted because they have a platform to show everyone how stupid they are. We see it from all ages.

And I think part of the reason we see these things in our generation is because the previous generation wanted them, so they gave it to they're kids. So it's not new, per se, but the last generation putting into motion what they thought they wanted.

So to everyone, of you're mad at millennials, be mad at a Boomer too.

That's retarded, mass punishments are for basic training, once you're done with that it should be individual. I think that it helps when you have certain skill schools to wash out shitty people... The infantry will wash out some, because many don't want to deal with that life, then airborne is the next qualifier so airborne units have less shit bags, then Rangers will have very few shitbags, Special Forces have even less, and ODD will have pretty much none. Having a few steps between us and regular Army allowed us to be mostly free from that. We had no females in my unit so there weren't any stupid relationship bullshit, we were in a separate area from regular Army so we didn't really see idiots who could hardly tie their boots. The biggest thing we'd see is regular Army guys on missions acting like idiots, smoking and joking in a combat zone, and then wondering why they didn't get the cool missions or ride in the cool helicopters, or wear the cool gear. Gotta earn it.

There's some validity in that. For me though, if my kids wanted something - like a PlayStation or laptop or phone or whatever - they had to "clock-in", and that was the phrase I used. Meaning, they had to do whatever chores I needed done, and I'd log their pay commensurate with what laborers were making at the time. Go landscape the yard for 4 hours and you'll "earn" 32 dollars or whatever. Put in 50 hours, and you'll get your PlayStation. It was a great arrangement for both of us, and taught them the value of hard work - as well as an appreciation for what they owned. I wish more parents would do something similar, but that's not what I'm seeing.

That's what my father did, had me work for what I wanted, and even during holidays they would set a budget for gifts (usually around $3-500) and told me that I could get what I wanted based on that number. He told me that the family had money set aside for my college, but I wanted to earn it via the G.I. Bill (so that extra money was then shifted to my own retirement)... A few years ago he was working with me on investments, teaching me some things and he showed me his. Mother fucker is sitting on almost 10 million dollars, and I had no idea because he didn't live like it.

Turns out his retirement plan is simply to live off the interest it generates (which is far more than he'll need) and then leave the money to my brother and I so when we retire we can live off the interest. Then we can pass it to our own children, etc. Hopefully my children will have the same respect for money that I do. Work for it and earn it. The life you want will dictate the work you need to put in.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
We'll yeah those types are in every generation, half my pizza guys are boomers. This generation just has the internet to broadcast their stupidity to the world. Of course as more and more boomers get on there, they broadcast it too. ;)

I was more speaking on the fact that a lot of boomers simply haven't left the work force, and many failed to adjust for new technology and instead are relying on the next generation to do it for them (which is dumb) which will require a little additional work.

As boomers leave the work force finally the millennial generation will get a chance to make their mark, get into politics, etc. Once they get into politics they will be able to bring change they want, to fix issues important to them.

Personally I don't think guys who are 70-80+ years old (even 60 is pushing it in my opinion) should be allowed to be in politics, making major legislative changes that will impact future generations when they won't suffer any consequences as they'll die before hand, but that's just me, and that's more the fault of millennials for not voting anyway.

Again though, I'm just a little salty because my research into finding habitable planets was shut down because we would take climate change data to better understand how a planet can change to become uninhabitable. I'll be happier again when I can research again.

No, that was just a little joke, not intended to be towards you!

Guys in my unit were great though, hard workers and smart guys, but it's the Rangers, you need to be hard working and smart just to get a shot to make it into the unit. Not sure how other units operated, we didn't tolerate that bullcrap.

But hey, boomers can't blame millenials for things they don't like, we learned it all from them anyway.

Yeah, I didn't make it to my boat (was going boomers until some Frank Burns Doctor nearly killed me), but in the Nuclear Navy, EVERYONE is expected to be exceptional. Even average isn't tolerated because the Nuclear Navy operates active nuclear power plants in nearly every major coastal city in the world and in range of nearly 70% of the world's population so there's absolutely no room for anything other than exceptional.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Oh yeah, I don't like universities that do that. I actually gave a lot of the higher ups at UCLA a bit of an ass chewing over how they handled the shooting last year (which probably wasn't smart on my part)... I told them that they shouldn't be holding their students hands, giving excuses for finals and having all these group therapy sessions. It was a murder suicide, I heard the shots and knew it was a murder suicide while everyone else was calling in reports of riflemen all over campus (because apparently they POLICE on both the front and back of their vests wasn't enough), and as I was leaving I saw students on the other side of campus crying and freaking out. I told them that their actions was going to traumatize these students because they're acting like they were part of some huge school shooting. It wasn't Sandy Hook or Virginia Tech, it was a murder suicide, these kids didn't need to get special counseling because a former student that they didn't know murdered a teacher that most had never heard of. It sucks, but that's going to happen in life and those kids needed to learn what the real world had for them.

I agree with that, my dad told me that whatever industry I entered into, be ready for it to be completely different when I'm ready to retire, so that was a lesson I've always taken. He was an animator, so I saw it first hand as his job went from brightly lit rooms and him drawing by hand, to really dark rooms and everything on computers. I watched his long time work friends lose jobs and fail to get new ones because they didn't learn how to animate with computers as my father did (which subsequently allowed him to suddenly shoot up the ranks because he could take tips he did with traditional animation and apply it to computers).. That's something that I know, and I know there are plenty of others that figured it out. Still, some refuse to change with the times, which is a shame, because it holds back the next generation. That's stuff that should (mostly) work itself out as the next generation begins to take over, but as we're in this weird limbo state, I can see the frustration.

Yep, not necessarily talking about man made (Venus for example has runaway greenhouse gasses due to being too close to the sun)... Which is why it was incredibly frustrating to have our funding pulled and research shut down. It was nothing but politics and it's holding back human progress right now. It's completely asinine in my opinion.

Mars didn't have enough of a magnetic core to keep their magnetic field in tact so solar winds blew it all away and thus the planet died. It's more about if we find a planet that's 50,000 light years away, we want to be able to better predict what the climate would be like. We can do that with our climate change data here on Earth as we can create various models based on what we know, and our planet's history. It's just a tool to better understand planetary evolution, as well as aid in narrowing down potential planets to visit once we get to that stage... If we get to that stage. The fact that my boss was called in for a meeting and then blown off because the president was golfing (he was actually told to visit him on the golf course and then blown off) and then our research was shut down with that cited as me very much so rubbed the wrong way. That's just the reality of the situation though, I have qualifications to get plenty of jobs elsewhere, it's just a shame because that was my passion. While my fiancee is begging me to just get a job in Europe, I'm not quite ready to abandon the country I bled for... Although it's quickly getting to that point and it's a shame.

That's retarded, mass punishments are for basic training, once you're done with that it should be individual. I think that it helps when you have certain skill schools to wash out crappy people... The infantry will wash out some, because many don't want to deal with that life, then airborne is the next qualifier so airborne units have less crap bags, then Rangers will have very few shitbags, Special Forces have even less, and ODD will have pretty much none. Having a few steps between us and regular Army allowed us to be mostly free from that. We had no females in my unit so there weren't any stupid relationship bullcrap, we were in a separate area from regular Army so we didn't really see idiots who could hardly tie their boots. The biggest thing we'd see is regular Army guys on missions acting like idiots, smoking and joking in a combat zone, and then wondering why they didn't get the cool missions or ride in the cool helicopters, or wear the cool gear. Gotta earn it.

That's what my father did, had me work for what I wanted, and even during holidays they would set a budget for gifts (usually around $3-500) and told me that I could get what I wanted based on that number. He told me that the family had money set aside for my college, but I wanted to earn it via the G.I. Bill (so that extra money was then shifted to my own retirement)... A few years ago he was working with me on investments, teaching me some things and he showed me his. Mother freaker is sitting on almost 10 million dollars, and I had no idea because he didn't live like it.

Turns out his retirement plan is simply to live off the interest it generates (which is far more than he'll need) and then leave the money to my brother and I so when we retire we can live off the interest. Then we can pass it to our own children, etc. Hopefully my children will have the same respect for money that I do. Work for it and earn it. The life you want will dictate the work you need to put in.

I really agree with much of this.

The only issue I have is that as a "pattern" workflow logistics guy, I can say that the entire nature of work is about to RADICALLY shift. And I do mean RADICALLY.

You think the internet changed things? Well, the coming change is going to be so profound and so fast that it'll make the changes that came with the internet seem glacial in comparison.

Whole professions are about to simply vanish overnight. Truck driver? Gone. Most lawyer functions? Gone. General practitioner Doctors? Gone. And that's just the beginning. Automation is so going to radically change the face of the workforce that even things like Pizza delivery driver is going to go away. In the near future, you'll have a car drive to your area and you'll have to come down and pick it up. The nature of "delivery" will change. Some people like disabled folks who need door to door delivery will either pay more or simply not have service. That's coming. Bank on it.

So, while I enjoy the conversations about work, who works doing what, the entire nature of work is about to so radically shift that if we keep up this "work maketh the man" ethic, we're going to encourage a return to feudalism in a way that is incomprehensible because instead of finding a way to encourage capitalism while meeting the social good, we'll simply have billionaires who run companies that are nearly fully automated and the scale will make local competition moot.

And here's another tip. Zoning laws are gonna change pretty soon to allow for homes to built, slab on grade at first, where the construction of new homes will be like assembling Legos. And that will eliminate TONS of construction jobs. They won't be classified as "mobile" homes or even modular homes. That's coming.

So part of the conversation will have to do with both how do we care for our elderly when there are a glut of elderly compared to the workforce AND the massive shrinkage of the workforce due to automation? There will be millions upon millions who will have no place in the workforce to go. Ever. Not with any kind of training because there will only be room for so many tradespeople.

I honestly don't know what my four millennial kids are going to do and honestly, it keeps me up at nights sometimes.

I'm not only not wrong about this, but I'm shocked more people aren't seeing this. It's so beyond obvious that it's not even prescient to bring it up.

Angry Ram

I honestly don't know what my four millennial kids are going to do and honestly, it keeps me up at nights sometimes.

WEll if what you said above will be true, #teammillenial will have to adapt to the market. It's been done before. If your kids have realistic visions and goals they'll be fine.

Now will the older gens give them a chance??? Or will the stupid stereotypes be a major hurdle...that's the real problem.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I really agree with much of this.

The only issue I have is that as a "pattern" workflow logistics guy, I can say that the entire nature of work is about to RADICALLY shift. And I do mean RADICALLY.

You think the internet changed things? Well, the coming change is going to be so profound and so fast that it'll make the changes that came with the internet seem glacial in comparison.

Whole professions are about to simply vanish overnight. Truck driver? Gone. Most lawyer functions? Gone. General practitioner Doctors? Gone. And that's just the beginning. Automation is so going to radically change the face of the workforce that even things like Pizza delivery driver is going to go away. In the near future, you'll have a car drive to your area and you'll have to come down and pick it up. The nature of "delivery" will change. Some people like disabled folks who need door to door delivery will either pay more or simply not have service. That's coming. Bank on it.

So, while I enjoy the conversations about work, who works doing what, the entire nature of work is about to so radically shift that if we keep up this "work maketh the man" ethic, we're going to encourage a return to feudalism in a way that is incomprehensible because instead of finding a way to encourage capitalism while meeting the social good, we'll simply have billionaires who run companies that are nearly fully automated and the scale will make local competition moot.

And here's another tip. Zoning laws are gonna change pretty soon to allow for homes to built, slab on grade at first, where the construction of new homes will be like assembling Legos. And that will eliminate TONS of construction jobs. They won't be classified as "mobile" homes or even modular homes. That's coming.

So part of the conversation will have to do with both how do we care for our elderly when there are a glut of elderly compared to the workforce AND the massive shrinkage of the workforce due to automation? There will be millions upon millions who will have no place in the workforce to go. Ever. Not with any kind of training because there will only be room for so many tradespeople.

I'm not only not wrong about this, but I'm shocked more people aren't seeing this. It's so beyond obvious that it's not even prescient to bring it up.

Self driving cars will radically change the medical field, insurance field (both car and health), retirement, and mechanics/auto body shops.

Once everyone has self driving cars, there's going to be drastic reduction in tax dollars from tickets/DUI's, etc, less cops will be needed because traffic enforcement will be largely unneeded, there will be less accidents because they're more alert/no driver error, which means people live longer, it's going to be insane.

It's actually pretty worrisome that no government seems to be preparing for this inevitability. Just one invention is going to have such a profound impact on so many different industries, you'd think they would be on top of it early.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

That was funny........close to true also.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but we don't win just for being here. We would actually have to be useful to win. Most of us aren't.

Each generation is critical of the youth following it.

But it's at an all time low right now.

This generation is the first generation whose entering the work force with a worse situation with fewer opportunities than the generation that raised them.

That has happened for a couple of generations, maybe more. For a long time an American could go to work in their 20's and work at that job and retire from it. Since the 50's or so. Maybe a person would have two jobs, rarely three. Now someone in their 20's will have multiple jobs before they are 30, so maybe more opportunities, but maybe not. But less stability for sure.

There's some validity in that. For me though, if my kids wanted something - like a PlayStation or laptop or phone or whatever - they had to "clock-in", and that was the phrase I used. Meaning, they had to do whatever chores I needed done, and I'd log their pay commensurate with what laborers were making at the time. Go landscape the yard for 4 hours and you'll "earn" 32 dollars or whatever. Put in 50 hours, and you'll get your PlayStation. It was a great arrangement for both of us, and taught them the value of hard work - as well as an appreciation for what they owned. I wish more parents would do something similar, but that's not what I'm seeing.

I think this is a great idea..........because I grew up with that. Want something??? Then DO something!!!

Chores got done, and each had a price. There was a chart on a wall in the kitchen and if you didn't volunteer you got volunteered.

And I would like to borrow all of your kids for some landscaping.........

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Self driving cars will radically change the medical field, insurance field (both car and health), retirement, and mechanics/auto body shops.

Once everyone has self driving cars, there's going to be drastic reduction in tax dollars from tickets/DUI's, etc, less cops will be needed because traffic enforcement will be largely unneeded, there will be less accidents because they're more alert/no driver error, which means people live longer, it's going to be insane.

It's actually pretty worrisome that no government seems to be preparing for this inevitability. Just one invention is going to have such a profound impact on so many different industries, you'd think they would be on top of it early.

That was sort of my point.

In field after field, the innovations that will create those changes are either already invented and about to be rolled out or are being rolled out NOW.

Volvo and Telsa are already taking orders for electric big rigs with the internal infrastructure to be fully self-driving. There is already a third party vendor who has a self-driving module that fits into existing big rigs that costs less than 1 year's salary for a driver.

Insurance is going to obviate manual driving very quickly and it won't be long before some zones are restricted from manual driving AT ALL. Not even Billionaires will be able to drive in some areas.

For cities like Los Angeles where fully 1/3rd of their revenue comes from parking/traffic enforcement, you have a major metropolitan area that's going to get hammered. Other cities are in even worse shape.

Radical and quick are how it's gonna happen.

@Angry Ram , I don't think it's about anyone being motivated. What I'm saying is that the labor pool will be massively larger than the amount of jobs.

We have the potential to shed more jobs than during the Crash of 2008 with zero hope of recovery because the point is to remove those jobs...permanently. It won't matter how hard millions of people work to get educated and be available to the marketplace. There simply won't be jobs because that's the next focus for the economy.

The fatal error that any nation will make for it's people will be to perpetuate the notion that "if you work hard, things will work out for you".

Remember when I said the Rams offense was structurally broken and had no hope of success and they went out and became a historically bad offense?

Yeah, well this is gonna be worse. MUCH worse. We're either going to make the decision to take care of one another or... it's gonna be super ugly.

All the more reason to celebrate this Rams season because very soon, the wave will get here. It's a structural thing and it's not just inevitable, but it's going to hit like a Cat 5 hurricane hits a mobile home park...

Angry Ram

@Angry Ram , I don't think it's about anyone being motivated. What I'm saying is that the labor pool will be massively larger than the amount of jobs.

I don't agree with that, nor with your doom mentality. The older generation currently working the trucks, construction, etc that you mentioned will be out of the workforce.

First point, the types of jobs will change no doubt about it. Except that's nothing new in human history. We went from cattle-drawn plows to tractors, hand picking to the cotton gin, farming to industrial, manufacturing to technological, etc. Which leads me to the second point...

If millennials are gonna succeed in the future, their gonna have to adapt to the market. Fortunately, based in my experience millennials can. Because I have. Like I said before it's the negative stereotype that is the biggest hurdle to overcome, when we go to college get degrees but can't even get an interview because of this idea that millennials are entitled brats.

So to bring it all home, if your kids want to go to college (or any post-HS program), and are smart enough to pick something to do with their lives that is realistic and practical, they will be fine.

Now if they do something like liberal arts or Robo-American studies, well sorry that's SOL. That's the one constant past and present.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't agree with that, nor with your doom mentality. The older generation currently working the trucks, construction, etc that you mentioned will be out of the workforce.

Part of the issue is that automation will make truck drivers obsolete, similar to gas station attendants.

There will be other jobs in the technology field, but likely not enough to replace it. That's part of why guys like Elon Musk are pushing for guaranteed income, eventually it'll likely be necessary, as robotics will advance enough to make everything mundane obsolete.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There does have to be foresight with rising and *dying industries. But do not have the doom and gloom! Reinvent yourself. Find out what comes easy for you, and figure out a way to get paid for it.

*Hopefully dying industries include "gender studies", "multicultural studies" etc. All the other circle-jerk, useless, self-analysis crap that has no productive use to society, except to pit people against each other.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

First point, the types of jobs will change no doubt about it. Except that's nothing new in human history. We went from cattle-drawn plows to tractors, hand picking to the cotton gin, farming to industrial, manufacturing to technological, etc. Which leads me to the second point...

If millennials are gonna succeed in the future, their gonna have to adapt to the market. Fortunately, based in my experience millennials can. Because I have. Like I said before it's the negative stereotype that is the biggest hurdle to overcome, when we go to college get degrees but can't even get an interview because of this idea that millennials are entitled brats.

So to bring it all home, if your kids want to go to college (or any post-HS program), and are smart enough to pick something to do with their lives that is realistic and practical, they will be fine.

Now if they do something like liberal arts or Robo-American studies, well sorry that's SOL. That's the one constant past and present.

Well, this is gonna be one of those things where I know I'll be right about something that negatively affects a lot of people and I'll take no joy in it.

These issues are systemic and I'm almost never wrong when it comes to systemic analysis.

It's not about "picking a better major".

The point is that even if folks are totally focused on survival, there won't be enough jobs for everyone because the entire point of this new technology is to eliminate people in the workforce. And btw, some of those studying those foo-foo classes end up making massive cultural or scientific differences. Remember all those politicians making fun of studying the mating habits of bees? Well, it turns out that it wasn't foo-foo science because neonicotinoids started causing Colony Collapse Disorder. Why's that important? Well, 2/3rds of our food are naturally pollinated. So the bees die off and we can't feed ourselves. Gender studies may seem like it doesn't matter now, but if the negative birth rates continue in every first world country including the US, we'll see a massive collapse in social services as the elderly population becomes unstainable to support. Japan is panicking because they don't really allow immigration and there is coming a bubble where there will be as many elderly as workers.

Anyway, the point is that for most it won't be about adaption. A 30 year old truck driver can't adapt to driverless vehicles. Neither can the 30 year old mechanic or body shop worker.

And with analytics allowing for predictive allocation for buying trends, even middle managers in logistics and making middle management decisions won't be needed.

I wish I could convey to people the acceleration that's coming. I feel like John the Baptist in these moments. It'll be like the elimination of travel agents, but across hundreds of industries...all at once.

It'll be like mercantilism in the feudal age. A few will get super wealthy, a few more will do decently and the rest will be relegated and regulated into subservience and subsistence.

Unfortunately, it won't be like Star Trek. And for all my "doom and gloom" it will be much, much worse than the little I'm saying. I can't begin to describe the scope and rapidity of the changes coming.

The changes coming in the next two decades will dwarf the last two centuries.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Well, this is gonna be one of those things where I know I'll be right about something that negatively affects a lot of people and I'll take no joy in it.

These issues are systemic and I'm almost never wrong when it comes to systemic analysis.

The point is that even if folks are totally focused on survival, there won't be enough jobs for everyone because the entire point of this new technology is to eliminate people in the workforce. And btw, some of those studying those foo-foo classes end up making massive cultural or scientific differences. Remember all those politicians making fun of studying the mating habits of bees? Well, it turns out that it wasn't foo-foo science because neonicotinoids started causing Colony Collapse Disorder. Why's that important? Well, 2/3rds of our food are naturally pollinated. So the bees die off and we can't feed ourselves. Gender studies may seem like it doesn't matter now, but if the negative birth rates continue in every first world country including the US, we'll see a massive collapse in social services as the elderly population becomes unstainable to support. Japan is panicking because they don't really allow immigration and there is coming a bubble where there will be as many elderly as workers.

Anyway, the point is that for most it won't be about adaption. A 30 year old truck driver can't adapt to driverless vehicles. Neither can the 30 year old mechanic or body shop worker.

And with analytics allowing for predictive allocation for buying trends, even middle managers in logistics and making middle management decisions won't be needed.

I wish I could convey to people the acceleration that's coming. I feel like John the Baptist in these moments. It'll be like the elimination of travel agents, but across hundreds of industries...all at once.

It'll be like mercantilism in the feudal age. A few will get super wealthy, a few more will do decently and the rest will be relegated and regulated into subservience and subsistence.

Unfortunately, it won't be like Star Trek. And for all my "doom and gloom" it will be much, much worse than the little I'm saying. I can't begin to describe the scope and rapidity of the changes coming.

Wow Mac. This thread sure turned. Everyone is leaving. Hey. Come back. Did you hear the one about the millennial that couldn’t tie his shoe? ....hey come back....ya snowflake! Haha. .....Ahem.

Mac, I see much of what you said directed at my comments. I’m not arguing the merits of the “coming changes”. Nor do I pretend to be a visionary of what is to come.

My light hearted start to this thread quickly spiraled. But a lot of it does stem from my concern for my kids future as well.

I may not be as versed on bee pollenation, or the merits of gender studies. (I take that back. There ARE no merits to gender studies. :) ) At least on most college campuses.

But I am aware that many Western countries are not repopulating themselves in sustainable numbers. And that there are designs on radically changing the way we live, and the whole notion of sovereign countries.

Some pretty serious stuff. Japan, by the way, has been wise to hold off on integrating massive numbers of immigrants in order to keep population levels stable. Many European countries are imploding, and full of civil unrest because of this. Japan needs to change its ways with family building from within. It is a very unique culture.

There are also those that want to radically reduce the worlds population. I mean radically. For mostly fallacious reasons.

I don’t pretend to hold all the answers, but there is an undercurrent of despair in this new generation in the workforce, and I’d love to provide them some hope and concrete reason to see a future.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Wow Mac. This thread sure turned. Everyone is leaving. Hey. Come back. Did you hear the one about the millennial that couldn’t tie his shoe? ....hey come back....ya snowflake! Haha. .....Ahem.

Mac, I see much of what you said directed at my comments. I’m not arguing the merits of the “coming changes”. Nor do I pretend to be a visionary of what is to come.

My light hearted start to this thread quickly spiraled. But a lot of it does stem from my concern for my kids future as well.

I may not be as versed on bee pollenation, or the merits of gender studies. (I take that back. There ARE no merits to gender studies. :) ) At least on most college campuses.

But I am aware that many Western countries are not repopulating themselves in sustainable numbers. And that there are designs on radically changing the way we live, and the whole notion of sovereign countries.

Some pretty serious stuff. Japan, by the way, has been wise to hold off on integrating massive numbers of immigrants in order to keep population levels stable. Many European countries are imploding, and full of civil unrest because of this. Japan needs to change its ways with family building from within. It is a very unique culture.

There are also those that want to radically reduce the worlds population. I mean radically. For mostly fallacious reasons.

I don’t pretend to hold all the answers, but there is an undercurrent of despair in this new generation in the workforce, and I’d love to provide them some hope and concrete reason to see a future.

I would, too.

Functionally and based on the existing economic data, I fundamentally disagree on Japan. No one will look to Japan as an example in a few years when they are struggling as mightily as they will soon be.

Look up Transhumanism. If that burgeoning movement doesn't scare the crap out of you, nothing will. Massive population reduction is a thing.

As for hope, my eldest daughter is a math wiz and while she wants to go into teaching, I'm trying to convince her to go into Analytics (I feel like the guy in the Graduate, "I've got one word for you, Plastics.") Analytics is one of a few fields that I expect to really grow for those that can do it, but it requires tons of high-level math AND the ability to relate it to the human experience. Not always easy.

There are answers, but very few are willing to hear them.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I would, too.

Functionally and based on the existing economic data, I fundamentally disagree on Japan. No one will look to Japan as an example in a few years when they are struggling as mightily as they will soon be.

Look up Transhumanism. If that burgeoning movement doesn't scare the crap out of you, nothing will. Massive population reduction is a thing.

As for hope, my eldest daughter is a math wiz and while she wants to go into teaching, I'm trying to convince her to go into Analytics (I feel like the guy in the Graduate, "I've got one word for you, Plastics.") Analytics is one of a few fields that I expect to really grow for those that can do it, but it requires tons of high-level math AND the ability to relate it to the human experience. Not always easy.

There are answers, but very few are willing to hear them.
Plastics, huh?(n)

I’m gonna have to look into that.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Look up Transhumanism
Ya. Nuts. But this thinking becomes possible with those that view the human being as just an evolved animal from primordial soup. Rather than a created being. Just another step.

Brave New World indeed.

Angry Ram

Well like I said before, fields change. When old work styles change, humans have adapted, and new types of work emerges. That's where us millennials will come in, and we'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.