Front Office Dysfunction Around the League

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
San Francisco ran off one of their winningest coaches.

In Washington, Daniel Snyder decides to keep RG3 all by himself.

Now, in Indy... They have been making the playoffs yet still find a way to let egos get in the way;

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...igson-makes-decisions-against-paganos-wishes/

On the surface, the news today out of Indianapolis quotes Colts General Manager Ryan Grigson and coach Chuck Pagano as saying they’re on the same page. Scratch the surface, and it appears that the two don’t really see eye to eye.

Amid talk that Pagano is on the hot seat as he heads into the final season on his contract, both Grigson and Pagano made statements designed to show they’re all focused on having a good season.

Grigson said, “It makes no sense for us to be going in opposite directions. That’s not the case. Trust me. At the end of the day, we always do what’s best for the horseshoe. Period.”

Pagano added, “We have no egos around here. Everybody checks them at the door every day they come to work. Players, coaches, myself, Ryan.”

But the Indianapolis Star reports that Grigson’s tendency to make decisions that run counter to Pagano’s wishes has become a real issue with the Colts. According to the report, Grigson inserts himself in lineup decisions, which are usually made by the coaching staff without interference from the front office. That included Grigson getting involved in the changes the Colts made at center last season, changes that not everyone on the team was on board with.

Usually when there’s a rift between a coach and G.M., it’s because the team is flailing and each man blames the other. But the Colts have made the playoffs in each of Grigson and Pagano’s three seasons together. If the team continues to play well, Grigson and Pagano can probably push any differences they have aside. If the Colts take a step backward this season, however, it seems unlikely that Pagano will be getting a new contract. Instead, the Colts will be getting a new coach.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Grigson is not a good enough GM to micromanage like that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Grigson is not a good enough GM to micromanage like that.

My thought as well.

Seems like a team outperforming their roster. Credit Pagano for that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Pagano will be gone at the end of his contract and Grigsons guy Chudzinski will be the new head coach of the Colts. That is why Chud wanted to stay on in as offensive assistant with the Colts rather than be the OC with the Rams.

My theory anyway.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The Colts are doing to Andrew Luck the same thing the Rams did to Sam Bradford; surrounding him with a less than stellar cast. They will eventually hire their own versions of Linehan and Spags. Luck will grow old and his skills will diminish, unless his neck beard strangles him first. Btw it must be nice to play in the crappiest division in the NFL.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
But....

God forbid we struggle and they struggle, then Pagano may shake loose and, frankly, we could do a LOT worse than to go from Fisher to Pagano.

That said, I'd rather we break out this year and win the Super Bowl.

Just sayin that if it goes south, I could get behind a HC like Pagano. He inspired a tremendous amount of loyalty when he got sick and then came back to lead them to show that the prior season wasn't all emotion.

Pagano and Snead would be a pretty potent combo, imho.

Again, not that I'd want it to come to that, but...well, you all know what I'm sayin'...

ram007

Starter
3 teams dis functional in a 32 team league is not much. Thank ful Rams are not one of them

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Andrew Luck and the AFC South is the only reason Grigson has a job right now. He was terrible at finding defensive talent during his tenure with the Iggles and it looks to be carrying the tradition in Indy.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
My thought as well.

Seems like a team outperforming their roster. Credit a really crappy division for that.

FTFY, the Colts would be a losing team if they played in the NFC West the last few years.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
FTFY, the Colts would be a losing team if they played in the NFC West the last few years.
I agree, and Andrew Luck is good, but REALLY overrated, imo. He constantly gets rated above QB'S who have done way more than him. I don't get it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Colts are winning Rams aren't so I will take dysfunction every time if that is the final result!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Colts are winning Rams aren't so I will take dysfunction every time if that is the final result!
The Colts are also in a division that has been 47-97 in the years that Luck has been around. Meanwhile in that same frame of reference the NFC West went 93- 50-1. With the Colts only losing 2 division games in 3 years.

Having almost 6 easy wins a year is pretty damn helpful in looking good despite the grievous deficit of talent the Colts have had for a while.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Colts are also in a division that has been 47-97 in the years that Luck has been around. Meanwhile in that same frame of reference the NFC West went 93- 50-1. With the Colts only losing 2 division games in 3 years.

Having almost 6 easy wins a year is pretty damn helpful in looking good despite the grievous deficit of talent the Colts have had for a while.

No excuses just solutions...It wasn't too long ago the NFC West was considered the worst division and the Rams did not have a winning record either. Look fact is Rams need to win no more excuses!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
No excuses just solutions...It wasn't too long ago the NFC West was considered the worst division and the Rams did not have a winning record either. Look fact is Rams need to win no more excuses!
It's not an excuse, beating up on a bad division is pretty easy when you've got an average team, the Rams weren't even average in that period. We were a bad team among bad teams, there's really no arguing that.

As of right now we play in one of the toughest divisions in the league. What Spags/Linehan had doesn't really amount to anything of what Fisher has to face unless he goes back and times and has gimmes against the 2000s NFC West. Anyways this wasn't even about the Rams, it was about the Colts and why their dysfunction looks better than it should.

Having gimmes makes an average team look a lot better than they really are, look at what the Colts have done in the playoffs after they get done beating up on the AFC South. Nothing. It's easy when your division gives you 16 wins in the span of 3 years, which accounts for more than half of their 33 wins.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Meh, overrated from top to bottom in Indy. Hell, Arians went 9-3 with that squad as interim in 2012 and had far less talent at that point IMO. I would love to have Luck though.....

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Meh, overrated from top to bottom in Indy. Hell, Arians went 9-3 with that squad as interim in 2012 and had far less talent at that point IMO. I would love to have Luck though.....
Pretty much, Luck and the AFC South are the only things keeping the Colts relevant. Only just now do I think they'd be a team that could actually do anything if something were to happen to Luck.

But in the last 3 years people have been going on about them if they were in any other division but the one they were in they would be getting demolished. Their O-line was a joke and there D was too.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So they get to the AFC championship game, and that constitutes "hot seat"? That's bullshit and if it's true I feel bad for Chuck Pagano. You think Jaguars, Raiders, Browns, hell even us Rams fans would love getting to the title game?

Athos

Legend
Well if the Colts don't want a quality coach and Fish has another stinker, I'd gladly take him off their hands.

Colts have a shit D and a shit Oline. That Luck has done what he's done is a testament to his talent and the coaches.