From Faulk, to Jackson ... to Lacy?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Jim Thomas
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/alabama-s-lacy-visits-rams/article_321abd0a-a137-5daf-bb34-849730bb9247.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... b9247.html</a>

516dfd469b148.preview-620.jpg

In Marshall Faulk and Steven Jackson, the Rams have had only two feature backs since 1999, an unbroken string of excellence for 14 seasons.

They made seven Pro Bowls between them. Jackson logged eight 1,000-yard rushing seasons; Faulk had three as a Ram. Faulk was league MVP in 2000, the NFL’s offensive player of the year three consecutive seasons (1999-2001) and a first ballot Hall of Famer (Class of 2011).

They are the No. 1 (Jackson) and No. 3 (Faulk) career rushing leaders in franchise history, with Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson sandwiched in between.

But now, with Jackson off to Atlanta via free agency after voiding the final year of his contract, someone new must step into the backfield. Will it be Alabama’s Eddie Lacy?

Lacy, who paid a pre-draft visit to Rams Park on Tuesday, could be a Rams target in the first round of next week’s draft. At 5-11, 231, he has a big body but light feet not unlike former Rams (and Pittsburgh) great Jerome Bettis. Similar to Jackson, if you’re serious about bringing Lacy down, you better hit him low; high isn’t going to work.

At the NFL scouting combine, Lacy was asked to describe his best attribute as a runner.

“Just being able to be a powerful runner if I need to, or an agile runner and make people miss,” he replied.

That’s a lethal combination, one that has Lacy almost universally acclaimed as the best running back in the 2013 draft and the only back worthy of a first-round selection one week from Thursday.

Even so, like almost every elite prospect there are questions and doubts about Lacy in one area or another. He had a tendency to get nicked up at Alabama — more than nicked up, actually; in 2011 he hobbled through the year with a turf toe injury that required surgery after the season.

This offseason, just before the combine in February, he suffered a hamstring injury during training. Originally, he hoped to run at Alabama’s March 13 pro day, but that turned out to be wishful thinking. Lacy didn’t run until last week, logging times from the mid-4.5s to low 4.6s in the 40-yard dash.

To most observers, that was about as expected. To others it was slightly disappointing. Worse yet, some felt he was out of shape.

Others play down his rushing feats on Alabama’s 2012 national championship team because of the stellar offensive line in front of him, a line that will feature two first-round draft picks April 25 in guard Chance Warmack and tackle D.J. Fluker.

“I feel as though we complement each other because you have a great offensive line and you have a great backfield as well,” Lacy said. “So I don’t feel as if one position is doing good because of the other.”

Keep in mind, too, that Alabama plays some of the nation’s toughest defensive fronts on almost a weekly basis. Watch and see how many Southeastern Conference defensive linemen and linebackers get drafted.

Even Lacy’s first-round draft status is viewed almost as a negative. Running backs, the saying goes, can be found anywhere in the draft. And that’s true to a degree. Take 2012, for example. There were 16 running backs who gained 1,000 yards in the NFL last season.

Among those 16, one was undrafted, one was a seventh-rounder, one was a sixth-rounder, five were third-rounders and two were second-rounders. But there were still more 1,000-yard rushers who were first-round picks in the group — six — than any other round.

Like most premier running backs at Alabama under coach Nick Saban, Lacy had to wait his turn. Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram was followed by Heisman finalist Trent Richardson, who was followed by Lacy.

Lacy wasn’t a starter until last season, his junior season, so he’s got low mileage entering the pros. By all accounts, he started somewhat slowly in 2012, perhaps still getting up to speed following the turf toe surgery. But what a finish. He rushed for 181 yards (at 9 yards a carry) and scored two touchdowns in the SEC championship game victory over Georgia. A Georgia defense, mind you, chock full of NFL draft prospects.

Against Notre Dame’s vaunted run defense in the BCS title game, Lacy ran for 140 yards (7 yards a carry) and scored two TDs.

For the season, he rushed for 1,322 yards (6.5 yards a carry) and scored 17 touchdowns. In theory, he could provide a big-back element in St. Louis now that Jackson’s gone. With Isaiah Pead and Daryl Richardson taking a share of the workload, Lacy wouldn’t necessarily have to be a workhorse. Coach Jeff Fisher’s knack for keeping his players fresh and minimizing injury might keep Lacy on the field and out of the training room.

Other options at the position include UCLA’s Johnathan Franklin, Florida’s Mike Gillislee and South Carolina’s Marcus Lattimore, all three of whom made pre-draft visits to Rams Park. Franklin had a monster season for the Bruins last season. Like Lacy, Gillislee didn’t become a feature back until 2012 and became the Gators’ first 1,000-yard runner since 2004 (or Steven Jackson’s rookie year in the NFL).

Lattimore could begin the year on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list because of his severe knee injury last season. Michigan State’s Le’Veon Bell had a “suite” visit with the Rams at the scouting combine and also had a private film study meeting with the Rams at his pro day. At 230 pounds, he certainly fills the big-back mode.

Additionally, the Rams have shown interest in Vanderbilt’s Zac Stacy, who became the first runner in that school’s history to log back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. Locally, there’s always Wisconsin’s Montee Ball of Timeberland High in Wentzville. With his NCAA record 83 career touchdowns, Ball could become a walking first-aid kit for what ails the Rams in the red zone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I just don't see the need to invest a first rounder on a RB unless he's a slam dunk like Peterson.

With a solid Oline and passing game "runners" can be found throughout the draft. Fact.

With the state of our team; Lacy is a luxury pick we can't afford... And I give it zero percent chance of happening.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

F. Mulder

Starter
CGI_Ram said:
I just don't see the need to invest a first rounder on a RB unless he's a slam dunk like Peterson.

With a solid Oline and passing game "runners" can be found throughout the draft. Fact.

With the state of our team; Lacy is a luxury pick we can't afford... And I give it zero percent chance of happening.

I agree with your take and hope you are right about 0% chance. Nothing against Lacy I just don't want to use a premium pick on someone where they may be comparable value in the middle rounds.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
F. Mulder said:
CGI_Ram said:

I agree with your take and hope you are right about 0% chance. Nothing against Lacy I just don't want to use a premium pick on someone where they may be comparable value in the middle rounds.
Do either of you see any clear separation between the top ranked guys and the middle ranked guys?

At all?

None?

F. Mulder

Starter
The Dude said:
F. Mulder said:
CGI_Ram said:

Do either of you see any clear separation between the top ranked guys and the middle ranked guys?

At all?

None?

For me there's no way I'm going to say Lacy MAY not have a higher skill set but it isn't a slam dunk by any stretch. I think the bigger issue is that the Rams are going to look for a bigger back to complement Pead and Richardson in the event Gannaway doesn't pan out. I think Lacy is a nice back but not head and shoulders above some of the mid-round guys. I see this as a RB by committee and don't see a clear game breaker at RB in this draft so draft someone who can compete vs. Gannaway and let the better man be the 3rd RB.

F. Mulder

Starter
BTW, the way Lacy was at his workout combined with seemingly constantly nicked makes me worried as well.

bluecoconuts

Legend
To put Lacy into a class with Jackson and Faulk is an insult to Jackson and Faulk. Lacy may be a talented player, but he's nowhere close to Faulk or Jackson.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm no scout, and I like Lacy...

It's more of a personal philosophy about this position; fill it with less premium picks. Just like guards.

Unless the player is a slam dunk you don't use a precious pick on that position anymore.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
CGI_Ram said:

Was Steven Jackson a slam dunk...

I don't think so....

I think it's 50/50 it happens.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'd take the 4th round flier on Lattimore. He, if it wasn't for the injuries, would be a top 15 pick IMO.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
bluecoconuts said:
To put Lacy into a class with Jackson and Faulk is an insult to Jackson and Faulk. Lacy may be a talented player, but he's nowhere close to Faulk or Jackson.

I dont believe he was putting them in the same,class just stating those 2 in a row were outstanding and 14 yrs of production out of our running backs and lacy might be able to help us continue the streak.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Can't wait till the draft is over so we can all agree on shit again! :sly:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
ScotsRam said:
Can't wait till the draft is over so we can all agree on shyte again! :sly:
lol, I was kind of thinking the same thing

jap

Legend
Angry Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:

I don't think so....

He was only regarded as the best RB coming out his rookie year.

Angry Ram

jap said:
Angry Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:

I don't think so....

And picked 24th? Hey, I'll take your word for it, but "slam dunk" picks usually are top 10, top 5.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Angry Ram said:
jap said:
Angry Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:

I don't think so....

And picked 24th? Hey, I'll take your word for it, but "slam dunk" picks usually are top 10, top 5.
IIRC, Peterson wasn't a top 10 pick either.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Angry Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:

I don't think so....

You are correct. He fell to us because he was not a slam dunk at the time of the draft.

Turns out; he was a stud. Good call by the Rams!

It's only in those situations I'd take a RB in the first. You better believe he's a stud.

You feel Lacy is. So, yeah, if you were our GM I'd say draft him.

Based on what I know, and what I believe relative to team building, I'd invest in the Oline and plug in a lesser investment at RB.

Solid Oline = solid QB play and solid RB play. Win. Win.

If we draft Lacy I'm cool. But he better be a stud. For my money, that's a gamble I don't take.

Angry Ram

Ram Quixote said:
Angry Ram said:
jap said:
Angry Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:

I don't think so....

IIRC, Peterson wasn't a top 10 pick either.

Purple Jesus was the 7th pick. Remember he was coming off that broken clavicle and still went 7th...

CGI_Ram said:
Angry Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:

I don't think so....

You are correct. He fell to us because he was not a slam dunk at the time of the draft.

Turns out; he was a stud. Good call by the Rams!

It's only in those situations I'd take a RB in the first. You better believe he's a stud.

You feel Lacy is. So, yeah, if you were our GM I'd say draft him.

Based on what I know, and what I believe relative to team building, I'd invest in the Oline and plug in a lesser investment at RB.

Solid Oline = solid QB play and solid RB play. Win. Win.

If we draft Lacy I'm cool. But he better be a stud. For my money, that's a gamble I don't take.

True, but the OL has already been invested in (Jake Long, Scott Wells). I'm thinking they go OL in the 2nd round and beyond; similar to Cortland Finnegan signing a big contract and then taking Jackrabbit in the 2nd over Morris Claiborne.