Friday Toss-Up: Sam Bradford vs. Andrew Luck

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BY CHRIS BURKE
<a class="postlink" href="http://nfl.si.com/2013/05/31/friday-toss-up-sam-bradford-vs-andrew-luck/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nfl.si.com/2013/05/31/friday-tos ... drew-luck/</a>

luck-bradford.jpg

Each Friday this offseason, Audibles will pit two players head-to-head in an attempt to figure out which one will have a better 2013 season. We’ll then take it to Twitter, to get your opinions on the debate. Find our previous Toss-Ups here.

Our first Audibles Toss-Up of the offseason, between Randall Cobb and Percy Harvin delivered a split decision: I rolled with Harvin; the fans voted for Cobb.

Will history repeat itself in Toss-Up No. 2? This week’s battle pits St. Louis QB Sam Bradford against his Indianapolis counterpart, Andrew Luck.

The Contenders

Sam Bradford: Everything seems to be lining up for the former No. 1 pick (2010 Offensive Rookie of the Year) to deliver his best season yet in 2013. Bradford threw for a career-high 3,702 yards last year, plus delivered a 2-1-1 combined record against the Seahawks and 49ers. And the Rams have attempted to build on those marks by adding several exciting weapons to the offense (TE Jared Cook, WRs Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey) and promising to open things up more this coming season. St. Louis did bid farewell to RB Steven Jackson, but in Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead and fifth-round pick Zac Stacy have enough options to keep the heat off its QB.

Bradford also — finally — has the benefit of some stability in the Rams’ coaching staff. He dealt with an offensive coordinator change between ’10 and ’11, then a full staff overhaul from the Steve Spagnuolo to Jeff Fisher regime between ’11 and ’12. Both Fisher and OC Brian Schottenheimer remain in place for a second season, which should help Bradford’s development.

While his overall record as an NFL starter is not pretty (15-26-1), he’s a much more respectable 14-17-1 if we toss out an injury-plagued 2011 that saw the Rams fall apart completely. The Rams also added left tackle Jake Long this offseason, in an effort to shore up a shaky front.

Andrew Luck: Indianapolis’ No. 1 overall pick finished second to Robert Griffin III on last year’s Offensive Rookie of the Year ballot, but he certainly had a strong case. Luck led the Colts to an 11-5 mark and a playoff berth, while finishing seventh in the league in yards passing (4,374) — ahead of stars like Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning and Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco.

One of the biggest issues for Luck: turnovers. He threw 18 picks and lost five fumbles over 16 starts. Neither that relatively high number of miscues nor a so-so completion percentage (54.1) take the shine off what Luck accomplished in his first attempt to fill Peyton Manning’s Colts shoes.

Luck welcomes back in 2013 his leading receiver, Reggie Wayne, who made 106 catches last season. T.Y. Hilton may be ready for a breakthrough campaign, too, after a 50-reception rookie year; and Luck now has Darrius Heyward-Bey as another option. He also can count on second-year tight ends Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener, the latter of which Indianapolis’ coaching staff has talked up this offseason.

Much of Luck’s success may hinge on a rebuilt offensive line that now features Donald Thomas, Gosder Cherulis and possibly 2013 draft picks Hugh Thornton and Khaled Holmes.

The Pick

Luck. From a fantasy-football perspective, that may be the wrong answer; with his shiny new targets, Bradford should soar past his 2012 yardage and touchdown totals.

In his one season in the league, though, Luck proved more consistent than Bradford. He’s also just four wins shy of Bradford’s career total, despite playing 26 fewer games. St. Louis’ bevy of options at receiver and running back may be exciting on paper, but it’s also a very young, inexperienced group. Bradford does not have a Reggie Wayne at his disposal.

If nothing else, Luck can lean on Wayne when things are not going well. Who will be that guy for Bradford? His two leading receivers from last season, Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson, now wear other uniforms.

Both teams’ run games are up in the air, as well — the Rams and Colts finished in the bottom half of the league in yards rushing last season. So, the pressure may fall back on Bradford and Luck to carry a lot of the offensive load. Luck had little trouble doing that last year, despite throwing 67 more passes than Bradford.

Bradford may be on the verge of a marked step forward in his fourth season. He’s playing catch up on Luck, though, especially when it comes to delivering wins.

The Fans Speak

[tweet]340476663982862337[/tweet]
[tweet]340477619655020544[/tweet]
[tweet]340472811254599682[/tweet]
[tweet]340472973309902848[/tweet]
[tweet]340474915515949056[/tweet]
[tweet]340474682555891712[/tweet]

SubZero405

UDFA
Sam put up almost 4,000 yards with friggin' Brandon Gibson as his #1 Receiver with 2 fewer TDs and 6 less interceptions than Luck last year, not to mention the O-Line injuries. Just think about what he can do now with all the weapons he now has at his disposal.

Also, Luck's stats are going to be inflated because he gets to play Jacksonville and Tennessee twice ever year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
SubZero405 said:
Sam put up almost 4,000 yards with friggin' Brandon Gibson as his #1 Receiver with 2 fewer TDs and 6 less interceptions than Luck last year, not to mention the O-Line injuries. Just think about what he can do now with all the weapons he now has at his disposal.

Also, Luck's stats are going to be inflated because he gets to play Jacksonville and Tennessee twice ever year.
Truth.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd trade Bradford for Luck straight up.

And, I'm being serious.

I see stuff in Sam that I believe are about to make believers out of the folks lost in the perspective of what surrounded Sam years prior.

A55VA6

Legend
Luck might have an edge in the leadership department from the get go... but honestly, I think Sam is the better QB with the brighter future. I will say this, Andrew Luck is a Pro Bowl type QB and I see him having alot of success in the NFL.. but I see alot in Sam that most QB's don't have.

DeaconJ

Rookie
Luck was in a leadership position from the get go...Sam wasn't. With Jackson gone, Sam WILL step up into the team leader roll....no doubt. With the new weapons, both offense and defense, this team will shock the rest of the NFL with speed and skill.....if Shotty can handle what he's got. Here's hoping he's got a plan. :2u:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Now I hope Sam the Ram proves me wrong, but I truly believe Andrew Luck is the next John Elway. Luck is going to be an elite QB for a very long time, but I also hold out hope that Sam Bradford can be the next Tom Brady and please do not crucify me for comparing Sam to a New England Patriot.

nighttrain

Legend
den-the-coach said:
Now I hope Sam the Ram proves me wrong, but I truly believe Andrew Luck is the next John Elway. Luck is going to be an elite QB for a very long time, but I also hold out hope that Sam Bradford can be the next Tom Brady and please do not crucify me for comparing Sam to a New England Patriot.
HOW ABOUT SB being a bigger version of Joe Montana? Read that in some scouting reports before we drafted him..
train

120R

UDFA
Name
Rich
These are some of the things I look at when looking hoping that Sam will out perform Luck next year. Luck passed for 6xx more yards last year. 42 per game. He also threw 76 more passes.

I am very high in my hopes that Sam and the Rams can easily increase their production by 42 passing yards per game with the players they picked up.

Actually my expectations are much higher than that. For them to be any lower, I might as well cancel my subscription to every Ram site I belong to and hurl this computer into the wall. I need to think bigger. I think too many people have come to believe that a WR hauling in 50 passes is a good season.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I couldn't care less about luck. I'm all in on sam and I expect him to be a 300 yard, 2 td a game qb. Austin and cook are going to do wonders for this offense.