CAMP REPORT Fri Aug-03 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
7BB8B842-5A5D-4E4D-B36B-82179A2B12A5.jpeg

https://www.therams.com/news/10-observations-from-day-7-of-training-camp

10 Observations from Day 7 of Training Camp

1) Before practice began, defensive lineman Michael Brockers was out on the field with a few of Los Angeles’ younger players at his position like Tanzel Smart, Chunky Clements, Sebastian Joseph-Day, and Omarius Bryant. Brockers led the group in some technique work, helping each of the young linemen improve on their moves at the line of scrimmage.

2) During special teams drills, coordinator John Fassel had the players go through an annual tradition. There is a tackling dummy at the goal line, and players line up one-on-one 15 yards away. One player is trying to reach the dummy, the other is trying to stop his opponent. It’s a drill that tests the ability to be effective both as a blocker and as a tackler in potential punt and kickoff situations.

Safety Nate Holley was one player who stood out, blocking running back Justin Davis into the ground on one play. He also got around a block pretty well on another rep, flashing throughout the drill.

3) They did it at separate times, but both linebackers and defensive backs worked with the single-man sled during individual drills. Each group used the sled to practice extending their arms to keep a blocking player away from the body, then had to shed the sled to either the right or left — depending on where their coach lined up to represent a ball carrier.

4) During Los Angeles’ 7-on-7 drills…
  • Wide receiver Cooper Kupp made a nice snag on the right side, doing well to make a move to get open against the first-team defense.
  • Middle linebacker Cory Littleton broke up a pass to tight end Tyler Higbee over the middle.
  • Quarterback Brandon Allen made a really nice throw down the right sideline to wideout Pharoh Cooper.
5) In the first 11-on-11 session, quarterback Jared Goff connected with running back Todd Gurleyon a nice swing pass to the right that would have gone for a touchdown. Through the scheme, Gurley was wide open out of the backfield, once again showing that he’ll likely be heavily involved in the passing game in 2018.

6) Head coach Sean McVay seemed to put a heavy emphasis on competition during Thursday’s practice. He staged a drill where the offense faced 2nd-and-10, then 3rd-and-whatever was left. If the offense recorded a first down, that unit won. If the defense forced fourth down, it won.
  • The defense ended up winning the competition 4-3, with the units playing ones vs ones and twos vs. twos.
  • Though the defense took a 2-1 lead early on, Goff completed consecutive first-down passes to Kupp and Woods over the middle to put the offense on top, 3-2.
  • After the twos on defense tied the competition at three, cornerback Troy Hill — playing with the ones — nearly picked off a pass to give the defense an outright victory.
7) A day after nailing a 63-yard field goal — which would have been a career high if it counted in a game — kicker Greg Zuerlein hit four of his attempted field goals on Thursday afternoon.

8) In a later 11-on-11 period, Goff completed a nearly 60-yard deep pass to wide receiver Mike Thomas on a post route for a touchdown. The ball was perfectly thrown, hitting Thomas in stride. The third-year wideout out of Southern Miss extended the ball out in front of him as he ran into the end zone in celebration.

9) McVay ended practice with another competition — a two-point play with the first offense going against the first defense. Goff’s pass went to Gurley in the middle of the field right at the goal line. Safety John Johnson hit Gurley just as the ball came in, but the running back still secured the football. The officials signaled “touchdown,” but the defensive coaches weren’t quite happy with that. Nevertheless, Gurley spiked the football in celebration as the offense celebrated its victory.

10) With a day off on Friday, many players got in some extra work at the end of practice. Gurley was one of them, going through some wind sprints across the field for some cardio.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Middle linebacker Cory Littleton broke up a pass to tight end Tyler Higbee over the middle.

Translation - the ball hit higbee in the hands but Littleton was touching him so he dropped it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff’s pass went to Gurley in the middle of the field right at the goal line. Safety John Johnson hit Gurley just as the ball came in, but the running back still secured the football. The officials signaled “touchdown"

Gurley shows higbee how it's done.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Gurley shows higbee how it's done.

Quit picking on Hiccupbee.

Actually though, his blocking had really improved the latter part of last season. So maybe a little light at end of the tunnel. Now if his catching abilities can keep improving.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I have yet to hear anything bad about Thomas dropping passes. If this guy can catch the ball consistently, he will be a very strong weapon to have

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I have yet to hear anything bad about Thomas dropping passes. If this guy can catch the ball consistently, he will be a very strong weapon to have
Thomas has looked very good in camp. Great TD catch yesterday, some 60 yards in the air by Goff.

When camp started I kept asking myself who is 88? A new TE? He looks very big! He is miles from where he was last year. I don't recall any outright drops by him, maybe some knocked away by the DB.

He could turn into a real red zone threat.

D7K_8057.JPG
D7K_8058.JPG

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Thomas has looked very good in camp. Great TD catch yesterday, some 60 yards in the air by Goff.

When camp started I kept asking myself who is 88? A new TE? He looks very big! He is miles from where he was last year. I don't recall any outright drops by him, maybe some knocked away by the DB.

He could turn into a real red zone threat.
Great to hear. His rookie year he looked like the best true route runner on the team. Very fluid and elusive. He just couldn't hold onto the ball consistently.
If his hands continue to improve, he could be a very good wr.

Thank Vet. Truly.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Great to hear. His rookie year he looked like the best true rout runner on the team very fluid and elusive. He just couldn't hold onto the ball consistently.
If his hands continue to improve, he could be a very good wr.

Thank Vet. Truly.
I just added two pics to my post, did you see those?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
6) Head coach Sean McVay seemed to put a heavy emphasis on competition during Thursday’s practice. He staged a drill where the offense faced 2nd-and-10, then 3rd-and-whatever was left. If the offense recorded a first down, that unit won. If the defense forced fourth down, it won.

I love this. 2nd and 10 puts enormous pressure on the passing game and the offense as a whole, so getting them used to that scenario is shrewd because then it frees up your first down decision making to allow for a heavy mix of passes on first down which are extremely effective and in turn make the run game and Gurley more dangerous.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I am glad to hear that. Still recall watching him work his routes off to the side last year when I attended camp, and trying to figure out who he was because of how hard he was working and how much improvement was obvious from the previous year. Of course he didn't make much of an impact last season (outside of coverage teams) but who knows maybe he's ready to carve himself out a spot on offense.

He might give Reynolds a run for his money this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i don't know, was just taking the tick. but history suggests that's the most likely scenario.

I figured you were being sarcastic. And had a good laugh... :D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
owl

That's great. Snead and whichever coaches helped him discover Johnson did a great job. I remember when that third round pick was made, most of us were like, "Who". We didn't know him. Plus JJ was a cornerback in college. Great job projecting the free safety fit. Snead gets most of the credit around here but I wonder if Wade and Pleasant help evaluate DBs. This team has some very good DB depth.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Could this defense be better than the offense ? Scary to think that but when they line up in nickel, where do you throw the ball ? Best 5 man secondary in the leauge

Ram65

Legend
8) In a later 11-on-11 period, Goff completed a nearly 60-yard deep pass to wide receiver Mike Thomas on a post route for a touchdown. The ball was perfectly thrown, hitting Thomas in stride. The third-year wideout out of Southern Miss extended the ball out in front of him as he ran into the end zone in celebration.

I jumped on the Mike Thomas bandwagon early in last year after a few discussions with Champ. He had a couple of gaffs is rookie year that got a little overblown. He has settle down becoming a highlight in last year's camp but, had the suspension coming. He had a good game in the last game of the season. He seems get open and has improved his hands. Good to have him around in case of injury. Interested to see if he outshines Reynolds and become the fourth WR$.