Free speech on internet forums

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
There is no such thing. The owners of a site get to decide what's allowed and what's not.
https://fortune.com/2015/06/10/reddit-censorship-ban/

Reddit bans groups over harassment, raising questions of censorship
by Jeff John Roberts
JUNE 10, 2015

subreddit-banned.png

Reddit, in a delicate balance between harassment and free speech, banned groups that criticized gays, blacks and others.

Online forum Reddit said Wednesday that it has banned five groups dedicated to ridiculing gays, the obese and blacks as part of an effort to curb some of the abuse that the site has notoriously attracted in the past.

The ban, announced on the site by CEO Ellen Pao and other executives, comes as Reddit wrestles with how to make the site more mainstream while also preserving the free-wheeling community discussions that have made it popular.

The banned groups, known as sub-reddits, include two dedicated to criticizing fat people as well as three other forums where people attacked blacks, gays, or transgender people. The most popular of the five appears to have been r/fatpeoplehate, which Reddit says had more than 5,000 members.

Some Reddit members reacted angrily by accusing the site of heavy-handed and arbitrary decision-making. In a comment just below the announcement of the ban, a member posted a list of other groups dedicated to abusive and taboo topics that remained up. Fellow members responded with substantial support, or “upvotes” in Reddit lingo. Meanwhile, right wing news sites accused Reddit and its CEO of censorship.

Reddit founder Alexis Ohanian, a well-known figure in the tech world, defended the site’s decision. In a post on Twitter, he pointed to a comment by another Reddit member to explain when harassment becomes unacceptable.

“When we are using the word “harass”, we’re not talking about “being annoying” or vote manipulation or anything,” the comment said. “We’re talking about men and women whose lives are being affected and worry for their safety every day, because people from a certain community on reddit have decided to actually threaten them, online and off, every day.”

Law professor James Grimmelmann, who writes frequently on Internet issues, observed on Twitter that the decision marked a move away from Reddit’s original commitment to unfettered free speech. But he noted the problem of harassment also presented a philosophic challenge.

James Grimmelmann/@grimmelm
It's a paradox of tolerance for diversity; protecting "authentic" communities requires setting enforceable boundaries around them.

Wednesday isn’t the first time Reddit has banned groups for violating abuse guidelines. Last year, after a public outcry over hackers posting private nude photographs of celebrities, Reddit shut down a forum called “the fappening” where many of the images appeared.

Reddit may also be under pressure to combat abuse after the site raised $50 million in funding last year from high-profile venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz and others. The investors will eventually expect the site, which is independent operated, but owned by the same holding company as magazine giant Conde Nast, to attract more mainstream advertisers that would otherwise shy away from being associated with harassment.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The people who raise issues of 'Free Speech Violations' on internet forums have no idea what the first amendment really means. Privately owned internet forums can impose any rule or restriction or ban that they want without recourse.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reddit is pretty painful to got to if you want honest and intelligent discussion.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I basically assume anything I put on the internet (including PMs) can be read by someone... so best just to write things that can withstand that test.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Wish more of the internet was well moderated, would much rather read intelligent debate of the issues at hand than "you're gay" "yeah well your mum is fat" fucking grow up :mad::rolleyes:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

As a mod I don't have the ability to read other members pm's not sent to me, nor would I because it's creepy. But I was part of a forum years ago where others had the technical expertise to do that and did so.

Imo the best moderation is as little as possible. The members should barely notice you are there in your capacity as a mod.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I preferred my method of moderation back when I owned the jernt. :mad::D

iron-fist2.png

fearsomefour

Legend
The people who raise issues of 'Free Speech Violations' on internet forums have no idea what the first amendment really means. Privately owned internet forums can impose any rule or restriction or ban that they want without recourse.
I would like this 100 times if I could.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
When hatred is disguised as free speech, it is much more than annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.