Free Agent LB Daryl Smith visiting Rams today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
ScreenShot2013-04-01at102559AM_zps10970ded.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just turned 31.

Career Jaguar. 6-2 at 248lbs.

Started 90 of 92 games in his career before missing most of last season with a groin injury.

ScreenShot2013-04-01at102947AM_zps80dde982.png

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would like this signing very much even at 31 still productive and considering at this point the Rams have no one as the third OLB, he's an upgrade.

Former Jacksonville Jaguars linebacker Daryl Smith came in at No. 65 on Gregg Rosenthal's list of the top 85 free agents this offseason. Prior to last year, he was one of the best 4-3 outside linebackers of the past half-decade.
It took three weeks, but Smith finally has found a suitor. The linebacker is visiting the St. Louis Rams on Monday, a source informed of his plans told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. The visit was first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter.
The lack of interest to date could be reflective of outsized salary demands. Of course, it's not unusual for NFL teams to be leery of a 31-year-old linebacker coming off a season lost to a lingering groin injury.
If healthy, though, Smith could be a steal this late in free agency. The Rams' depth chart has a glaring vacancy at strong-side linebacker following Rocky McIntosh's departure.
Smith annually has been one of the rare bright spots on the Jaguars' roster as one of the NFL's most underrated players.
Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

<a class="postlink" href="http://wap.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000156321/daryl-smith-finds-possible-suitor-in-st-louis-rams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wap.nfl.com/news/0ap100000015632 ... ouis-rams/</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
den-the-coach said:
I would like this signing very much even at 31 still productive and considering at this point the Rams have no one as the third OLB, he's an upgrade.

Same here. He's a good player.

If nothing else; competition at the position and depth.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"If healthy, though, Smith could be a steal this late in free agency."
Man, is it my imagination or has our "luck" changed with this new FO? We seem to be getting a crap-load more bang for our buck these days instead of underachieving overpaid guys just showing up for a paycheck. I hope we sign him.

A55VA6

Legend
This guy is a fantastic player. Nice veteran to bring in to the team. I say get it done!

Ramatik

Starter
Of course, cheap would be good.

the Rams have been so injury plagued the last few years, that these guys coming off injuries should be back to their former greatness as we get a little lucky for a change!

fearsomefour

Legend
I love the idea of Smith coming in. It is true that teams are leary of LBs over 30....just like RBs over 30. Because most lose a step doesnt mean all do....cant throw that bath water out with taking a look.
Smith is much better in my opinion, even at 80%, than the guys they had at that spot last year. Even is Smith is seen as a two down player it is worth it. I am surprised there hasnt been more interest in Smith, unless people think the injury is going to be a chronic thing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
fearsomefour said:
I love the idea of Smith coming in. It is true that teams are leary of LBs over 30....just like RBs over 30. Because most lose a step doesnt mean all do....cant throw that bath water out with taking a look.
Smith is much better in my opinion, even at 80%, than the guys they had at that spot last year. Even is Smith is seen as a two down player it is worth it. I am surprised there hasnt been more interest in Smith, unless people think the injury is going to be a chronic thing.

I believe it was a serious groin injury. But, it's nearly a year ago.

I'm sure they'll do a medical.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
I like the visit. If healthy, Smith would be a solid stop gap OLB for us....And god knows we need more veterans on the team. Hey I love the youth movement as much as the next man but a team needs a couple seasoned old guys.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Agreed on the cheap, old veteran, stop gap stuff. Groin injuries are so tricky and unpredictable though. I would love for this to pan out. The Rams would still need to draft an OLB though, just maybe a little later in the draft than if this move is not made.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Jeez, I wonder who had this guy in his mock offseason FA signing.