Fred Cox, former Vikings kicker and NERF co-creator, dies at age 80

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Fred Cox, former Vikings kicker and NERF co-creator, dies at age 80

Former Minnesota Vikings kicker Fred Cox, one of the last of the straight-on placekickers and a standout on several conference championship teams, has died. He was 80.

Cox’s wife, Bonnie, notified the Vikings’ alumni affairs office of his death. Cox had had been in hospice care at his home in Monticello northwest of the Twin Cities because of kidney and heart problems.

“My health is not good, obviously,” Cox told the Pioneer Press on Saturday in an interview at his home. “I have kidneys that don’t work and a heart that doesn’t function, but other than that I’m great.”

Cox, who also co-created the Nerf football, scored a Minnesota-record 1,365 points in his 15 seasons, often kicking in nasty conditions because the Vikings played outdoors during his career from 1963-77. When he retired, he was second in NFL history in scoring behind George Blanda — who also played quarterback — and had made 282 field goals.

Cox was one of 11 Vikings to play in all four of the team’s Super Bowls, all defeats. He kicked in 18 postseason games.

The Vikings called Cox “one of our proudest legends, a respected teammate and friend. Fred's football career as the Vikings’ all-time leading scorer set the stage for a life where he went on to achieve great things in business and in his community. Fred's positive energy, strength in his faith and passion for life will be missed."

During his playing days he also got a chiropractor’s license.

An All-Pro in 1969, Cox twice led the league in scoring while using a square-toed shoe to do his kicking. On a team with several Hall of Famers, including Fran Tarkenton, Carl Eller, Alan Page and Paul Krause, Cox also was a standout.

But he never earned a Super Bowl victory, and once said:

"The fans have never been able to live with the fact that we lost four times,” Cox said. “But the bottom line is that for any team to get there four times is an amazing feat."

Cox played fullback as well as kicked at Pitt. Drafted by the Browns in the eighth round in 1961, he sat out a year because of a back injury. But he learned about NFL kicking from another Hall of Famer, Cleveland’s Lou “The Toe” Groza, also a straight-on kicker.

Minnesota acquired Cox in 1962, but cut him. He made the Vikings the next year and stuck for 15 seasons.

Bud Grant, who coached those Vikings squads, told the team’s website that "Fred was the ultimate team player for us. He took part in all of our scout teams, playing running back or whatever we asked of him. He was a great asset to our team, a true credit to the team and his community. If you saw those games, he always stood right next to me on the sideline because he was such a big part of what we were doing with field position and knew the game so well."

Cox is survived by Bonnie and four children.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I posted this mostly because.... man-o-man I used to be able to launch a nerf.

Strongest arm in the neighborhood by far with those!

Loved my nerf. I had a nerf soccer ball and played in the basement hours upon hours with it.

giphy.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Heres more about Nerf.

Former Vikings kicker Fred Cox, who created the NERF football, dies at age 80

After the 1970 season, Cox was approached by John Maddox, a local entrepreneur who had an idea about creating a backyard football game for kids that included a football and an adjustable field goal post. When asked by Cox while kind of a football he wanted to create, Maddox said that he wanted to make a hard football so that it would stay in the yard.

"You're gonna have a bunch of sore-legged kids running around," Cox recalled telling Maddox during an interview with NFL Films earlier this year. "You really should be thinking about something made out of foam rubber."

From there, Cox contacted a colleague in the injecting molding business, who created what would later be known as the first NERF football. After field testing their new invention with neighborhood kids, Cox and Maddox pitched their idea to Parker Brothers.

"When the man at Parker Brothers saw that football with the skin on it looking exactly like a regular football," Cox recalled, "I could just look at his eyes and knew he was sold."

And with that, the NERF (which stands for Non Expanding Recreational Foam) football was born. Since that time, NERF footballs have become the best selling football of all-time.

"It really never dawned on me until they were selling six or eight million of them a year exactly what happened," Cox said of his invention. "Of course, I wasn't going to turn it down because they kept sending checks."

The NERF football became a regular household item in homes across America.

"I thought it was pretty cool because you could throw it in the house and you wouldn't break things," said Jerry Rice, the NFL's all-time leader in receptions, yards, and receiving touchdowns, in the NFL Films piece.

"We had so many NERFs, we just played with them constantly," added Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett. "It was inside, it was outside, it was at the beach, it was nonstop."

Cox, who also became a licensed chiropractor after retiring from the NFL following the 1977 season, told NFL Films that, despite his success with the NERF football, he was still more remembered as an NFL player, having played in four Super Bowls and being part of one of the greatest teams in pro football history.

"My life has always been one of very good fortune," Cox said. "Things just seem to have come my way."

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Growing up in Viking's Country, I remember Fred Cox and his straight-ahead style of kicking. Didn't know that he invented the Nerf football, very cool!

RIP Fred Cox.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Fred Cox finished off many huge games against our Rams back in the day, in the earliest part of my Ram fan life.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
#14 and he was better than any Ram kicker during that time which included the likes or David Ray & Tom Dempsey. RIP Frederick William Cox...As to the Nerf football for some odd reason I could punt the hell out of it. Could not punt a real football that well, but when we played sandlot with a Nerf I was always a punter.

1574435402850.png

Ram65

Legend
Never would have thought Fred Cox was a big part of the NERF football creation. Never liked him or the Vikings back in the day. Like throwing the NERF football as it was easy to hold. I was more of a Frisbee guy after getting one at the New York Worlds Fair.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I loved the nerf footballs too... but had I known a viqueen invented it, I may not have had anything to do with them.

The great thing about those nerf footballs to me was that you could fire Bradford like bullet passes to a receiver only a few yards away and the receiver could catch it without losing any fingers.

I also had a nerf basketball hoop on the back of my bedroom door. Actually, I had a shit load of those because I was constantly breaking the hoops from dunking.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I also had a nerf basketball hoop on the back of my bedroom door. Actually, I had a shit load of those because I was constantly breaking the hoops from dunking.

Feels like I had 20 of those over the years.

:LOL:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Feels like I had 20 of those over the years.

:LOL:

Now that I think of it... when I got married, I hung one of those in our family room. LOL. No joke.

Mind you, I was in my 20’s. So... 10yrs ago Or so.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
#14 and he was better than any Ram kicker during that time which included the likes or David Ray & Tom Dempsey. RIP Frederick William Cox...As to the Nerf football for some odd reason I could punt the hell out of it. Could not punt a real football that well, but when we played sandlot with a Nerf I was always a punter.

View attachment 32197

Bruce Gossett

Pro-Bowl Kicker for the Rams, 66 & 68

I had forgotten that Gossett went on to kick for the Whiners, traitorous SOB.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I was fortunate enough to grow up on a street with about 8 more kids my age. We played football almost every day.
We went through countless nerf footballs over the years.
It was a givin that every kid would get a new one for his birthday..

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bruce Gossett

Pro-Bowl Kicker for the Rams, 66 & 68

I had forgotten that Gossett went on to kick for the Whiners, traitorous SOB.

They liked David Ray better who did have close to a pro bowl year in 73, but missed a couple of FG’s against the Cowboys in the playoff game.

Acquired Tom Dempsey who they thought was an upgrade however he had kicks blocked in 75 & 76 in post season & that was the end of Dempsey.