FrantikRam mock offseason 2 (no FA's re-signed)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With NFL teams having a record breaking amount of cap space, I've been thinking more and more that Fowler, Suh, Joyner and Saffold will all be playing elsewhere next year.

Saffold is the only one we really expect back, and if we don't re-sign him before testing the market, a team with a stupid amount of cap space could easily afford to make him an offer he couldn't refuse. If that were to happen, this is my official prediction for how events will unfold:

Cut: Mark Barron - no explanation needed

Trade: Michael Brockers to the Giants for 4th and 5th round picks - Brockers just wasn't effective last year and not worth his cap number - I don't see any real difference between his and Mark Barron's situations, except that Brock has some trade value. Both players were great in Wade's first year, both were not good in the regular season this year, and both played better in the playoffs. I'm less confident about this being the Giants now with Eli supposedly still going to be on the team, but I am somewhat confident that Brockers will be traded.

Rams will have $50 million in cap space - $15 million needed for RFAs and draft picks. Rams can/would get creative with some existing contracts and I feel good about having $40 million to spend in FA/via trade:

Trade: Rams first round pick this year and next, along with a 3rd this year for Von Miller.

FA:

Darian Stewart - makes too much sense

Ryan Groy - makes too much sense

Denzel Perryman - can come in and compete at ILB for relatively cheap

Tevin Coleman - this one might seem weird, but I could see McVay doing it - CJ did a good job, but I think Coleman can be had for around $8 million per year for a few years (thinking three) and will be much better - Rams can get out of this contract about the same time that Goff gets re-signed - this is probably shocking to some people, but based on Gurley being over utilized the last two years and McVay opting not to use Malcolm Brown more, my conclusion is that we need a better backup RB. If everything is predicated on the run game, this position is very important to the offense.

Draft:

Round 3 - Michael Jordan, OL OSU - here the Rams nab a guard to develop for a year - Jordan has some good and bad moments with OSU, but did better at guard than center.

Round 4 - Dontaveous Russel, NT Auburn - good run defender and Snead goes back to the Auburn well - not a guy that will be a threat rushing the passer but a rotational piece we should be able to play some right away

Round 4 - Jalen Hurd, WR Baylor

Round 5 - Iman Marshall, CB USC - will need some work obviously, but his size/athleticism will be enticing here.

Round 5 (comp from Brockers trade) - Wyatt Ray, EDGE BC - seems like a guy that will test well but his production was just okay - looks like his film isn't great either, which is why he could fall this far.

Round 6 - Isaiah Johnson, CB Houston - not a lot to like about him except for his size - at 6'4", worth the flyer with what is essentially a 6th round pick to see if he can learn from our talented CB room. Any pick at this point is going to struggle to make the team.

Round 7 - Trace McSorley, QB PSU - this pick, whoever it is, will be the longest of long shots - Rams will likely take a priority UDFA here, but I say bring McSorley in - his athleticism is intriguing at the very least.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
XWR: Brandin Cooks
ZWR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Tyler Higbee or Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Noteboom
C: Sullivan vs. Brian Allen vs. Groy
RG: Blythe
RT: Rob Havenstein

5T: John Franklin-Myers
NT: Sebastion Joseph-Day
3T: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Von Miller
Mo LB: Cory Littleton
Mike LB: Perryman or Micah Kiser or Bryce Hager
SOLB: Samson Ebukam
RCB: Aqib Talib
LCB: Marcus Peters
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: John Johnson
SS: Darian Stewart

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Ram65

Legend
Trade: Rams first round pick this year and next, along with a 3rd this year for Von Miller.

FA:

I missed this on first read..Bold that trade! It's interesting. I'm like Brian Burns edge rusher in round one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like Coleman is only seeking around $5 million per year.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I missed this on first read..Bold that trade! It's interesting. I'm like Brian Burns edge rusher in round one.

I like Brian Burns also. However, he played at only 230 lbs last season. I'm not sure he will hold up in the NFL at that weight. We will have to see if he put on any wait for the Combine. Also, I think you would have to trade up into the 'teens to get him. I don't see the Packers letting him get by at their spot.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm not comfortable just handing the nose tackle job to SJD or Smart.

Everything else, though, I can live with.