Franklin-Myers Position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shane Grandle

TE in a OT body
Name
RamsDCrep
John Franklin Myers was definitely a reach by a lot of standards and I think with the body type, you’d expect him to be a rotational backup in the 5 technique. But what if he cut weight? Very unlikely he would be asked to drop 20lbs before camp, but what if he is more of an edge guy then we are giving him credit for. He is a pretty good athlete, and from what I read played in a stand up role his first few years in college. Could the Rams possibly be hoping he can drop weight and be a SLB?

Not likely but we’ll see

Shane Grandle

TE in a OT body
Name
RamsDCrep
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
John Franklin Myers was definitely a reach by a lot of standards and I think with the body type, you’d expect him to be a rotational backup in the 5 technique. But what if he cut weight? Very unlikely he would be asked to drop 20lbs before camp, but what if he is more of an edge guy then we are giving him credit for. He is a pretty good athlete, and from what I read played in a stand up role his first few years in college. Could the Rams possibly be hoping he can drop weight and be a SLB?

Not likely but we’ll see

Also the number 57 could mean he is going to be on the edge, but who knows

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brockers now has a rookie to back him up I’m thinking.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When a bunch of teams moved to the 3-4....they'd have one OLB that was HUGE....they called it the Elephant positon of the 3/4 olb.....some others call it something else....can't remember....but he's usually a run force-er....and always rushes...not going into coverage....Terrell Suggs played like this...and several others....Remember Wade had Von M. as his smaller LB....and DeMarcus Ware...in his "elephant role.....

I think the kid could lose 10 lbs easy.....and maybe drop 20 before 2019.

Name
MistahTroupe
Rams rookie John Franklin-Myers models his game after Michael Bennett

usatsi_10390076.jpg

With Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh and Michael Brockers up front, the Los Angeles Rams have one of the best defensive lines in the league. Teams are lucky to have a single three-time All-Pro on the roster, yet the Rams have two on their defensive line alone.

However, despite having so much talent at that spot, the Rams spent their third pick in the draft on a defensive lineman. John Franklin-Myers out of lesser-known Stephen F. Austin came off the board to Los Angeles at No. 135 overall, adding some depth to the unit. It wasn’t viewed as a position of need, but the Rams saw Franklin-Myers as a talent too good to pass up at that spot. Although he played a variety of positions for the Lumberjacks – from outside linebacker to defensive end to 3-technique – he’ll likely play 5-technique like Brockers for the Rams.

He’s a unique player with good versatility, and he models his game after a similar player who played the past five years.

“I would say Michael Bennett. I like him. I like the way he plays – more two or three years ago, he was more of a speed and a power guy,” Franklin-Myers said on the Downtown Rams Podcast. “I feel like that’s kind of how I am. He’s 10 or so pounds lighter than me, but we both can play inside and outside. Pass rush really well, speed to power really well. So I feel like I try to be like Michael Bennett a lot and try to watch a lot of his tape and any little thing I can get from him as a guy I kind of rely on to help my game.”

Bennett primarily played defensive end in Seattle’s 4-3 defense, but he could also move inside and rush the passer as an interior defender. The Seahawks did plenty of that with him in the past, and while he’s now a member of the Eagles, he’ll likely play a similar role next season. Franklin-Myers will be in a 3-4 defense and he’s not big enough to play nose tackle, but he can certainly rotate with Donald as the Rams’ 3-technique defensive tackle. He’s not exactly sure where the Rams will use him yet, but he expects to play defensive end like Brockers

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...ft-john-franklin-myers-michael-bennett-quote/