Frank Gore may be third all-time in carries and yards by the end of the year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
How will history remember / categorize Frank Gore?

I mean, he’s on the heels of the great Barry Sanders in yards, and Curtis Martin for carries.

He was more consistent year over year, than exceptional in any.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GoreFr00.htm

Is he a HOF’er?

D174F1D4-D9FB-499D-8126-0AAD4C06DF59.jpeg

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-in-carries-and-yards-by-the-end-of-the-year/

Frank Gore may be third all-time in carries and yards by the end of the year

Bills running back Frank Gore is in a position to find himself in very elite company by the end of this season.

Gore is within one solid year of being third in NFL history in both career carries and career rushing yards, trailing only Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton in both categories.

Gore has 3,382 carries for 14,748 yards in his career. He’s 136 carries behind Curtis Martin for the third-most rushing attempts in NFL history and 521 yards behind Barry Sanders for the third-most rushing yards in NFL history.

Although the 36-year-old Gore has virtually no shot of catching Payton for second place in either category, moving into the top three would be a remarkable achievement. Gore’s longevity is particularly impressive given that a knee injury he suffered in 2002 while playing college football at Miami was considered a red flag before he was drafted.

The 36-year-old Gore can’t keep playing forever, and given how crowded the Bills’ backfield is (with LeSean McCoy the starter and T.J. Yeldon and rookie Devin Singletary both competing with Gore for playing time as a backup), it’s easy to see Gore having more limited carries this year than at any other point in his career. But it is also easy to see Gore having at least 136 carries for 521 yards, which would put him behind only Smith and Payton in NFL history.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I used to say that without a SB trophy, both he and SJAX had no shot in making the Hall Of Fame. Yet, I never anticipated his longetivity. Yes, I now believe he is a HOFer.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i really thought peterson had a shot at emitt's record about 5 years ago.

whipping his kid, a knee injury and a poor choice in free agency going to the saints ruined three years of his career.

he could've been right on his tail this year. maybe not. maybe payton's tail.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Dang, he had multiple ACL tears coming out of college too. You just never know about knee injuries. Never thought he would have a better career than SJ39.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
In terms of skill, I would put him 13th out of 15th. My list of greatness is certainly different than the all time greatness

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Looking at numbers & thinking back as an Ol’ Draftnik.

SJ was a solid pickup. He and Faulk had a little issues though. Wish that era could have lasted longer though.

The Gore thing ? Just know his work ethic was great.Did some Jerry Rice type of workouts during a knee rehab.

I remember the Faulk trade well. Couldn’t believe it.The Rams would have drafted E. James instead of Tory Holt. Looking back at history it is crazy to see those players so high on the All-Time record.

Jerome Bettis is right there.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/07/frank-gore-not-approaching-2019-as-final-season/

Frank Gore not approaching 2019 as final season

Bills running back Frank Gore will enter the 2019 season with milestones in his sights and without thoughts of retirement on his mind.

As we noted on Saturday, Gore can move up to third place all-time in career carries and career rushing yards if he runs 137 times for 522 yards during the regular season. Taking over those spots might make for a fitting end to a stellar career, but Gore said he won’t be thinking about retirement until his body tells him that it is time to go.

“I just go how I feel,” Gore said from a football camp in Miami on Saturday, via the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “If I feel I can’t do it no more, then I call it.”

Gore signed a one-year deal with Buffalo and the Bills join the Dolphins, Colts and 49ers as teams that have had Gore carrying the ball out of their backfield. The 49ers were his first NFL team and Gore said he hopes to retire as a member of that team one way or another.

“I’m going to be a Niner, you know, I’ve been there — that’s who drafted me, gave me the opportunity to come into this league, to be a professional ball player, and I was there 10 years, man,” Gore said. “That’s my home, my second home. It would be right to go back — if I have to do a one-day [contract], sign that and I’ll be a Niner for life.”

Gore led the Dolphins in rushing last year and has been his team’s leading rusher in every season that he’s played a game. Should that streak continue in 2019, it’s probably a good bet that someone will give him a chance to continue the run in 2020.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He can finish his career watching from the sideline as singletary rips defenses apart.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
In my honest opinion, Gore is still not better than S-Jax. S-Jax in his prime would've gotten over 2,000 yards per scrimmage every year if he had a good offensive line.

S-Jax, in my opinion, should be in the Hall, along with Bruce and Holt.

Edit: 8,500 posts for the motherfucking win!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In my honest opinion, Gore is still not better than S-Jax. S-Jax in his prime would've gotten over 2,000 yards per scrimmage every year if he had a good offensive line.

S-Jax, in my opinion, should be in the Hall, along with Bruce and Holt.

Edit: 8,500 posts for the motherfucking win!
I loved SJAX too, but Gore has been more durable. We can speculate about how good SJAX would have been behind the 2018 Oline (for instance), but he never was fortunate to have that. Gore's numbers do not lie and when the average career in the NFL is about 3 years, look what he has done. Credit goes where it is due, imo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I loved SJAX too, but Gore has been more durable. We can speculate about how good SJAX would have been behind the 2018 Oline (for instance), but he never was fortunate to have that. Gore's numbers do not lie and when the average career in the NFL is about 3 years, look what he has done. Credit goes where it is due, imo.

Gore's numbers don't lie, but I still don't think he's better talent-wise than S-Jax. Just my honest opinion.

TexasRam

Legend
Longevity alone should not put a player in the Hall of Fame.

Gore has always been a very good RB but a great?

What do i know. I just post here.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Longevity alone should not put a player in the Hall of Fame.

Gore has always been a very good RB but a great?

What do i know. I just post here.

I’m sort of right there, with you. At the same time, that’s a pile of yards.

His consistency is impressive. Can’t say I was ever worried about him taking over a game, however.

So, yeah, I’m conflicted.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m sort of right there, with you. At the same time, that’s a pile of yards.

His consistency is impressive. Can’t say I was ever worried about him taking over a game, however.

So, yeah, I’m conflicted.
I actually am not so conflicted. Longetivity in a game like this is Hall of Fame Worthy. Why?
1. A player's genetics and training regimen must be outstanding. Like Whit, Gore has been playing at a high level for a long time with few injuries that I can remember.
2. It's also not just being old and still playing, but after year after year, fighting off a new crop of RB's who want to bump the old man off the roster...and can't do it. That's impressive as hell to me.
3. We knock injury ridden players, albeit supremely taled players, because of not being available. It's why I rank Goff above Wentz right now because of the availabity of Goff, while Carson watches Jared play football on TV.

IF Gore takes the #3 spot all time for RB's, he is the new Cal Ripken of football, an absolute iron man.

Last edited: