Four Boom/Bust starters who could could make or break 2024.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I see great potential for this year’s Rams. A healthy Matthew Stafford, a top interior OL, young stars like Puka Nacua and Kyren Williams, and a defense bolstered by several rookies and FAs all give me realistic hopes for a deep playoff run.

There are four projected starters, though, who I look at as boom/bust players who could make or break our season. “Boom” could mean the Rams are a true contender. “Bust” could hold us back. They are:

Cooper Kupp
Perhaps this is a surprise, but I’m placing Kupp on a relative boom/bust scale. “Boom” means returning to something resembling his 2021 form. If he can get near that level, the combination of Kupp and Nacua could be nearly unstoppable. “Bust” would mean that he presents as a guy who is clearly past his prime and on the decline. I’m betting on “boom,” but it’s a cautious optimism.

Alaric Jackson
The Rams’ approach to LT was somewhat puzzling. Offering Jackson a tender deal as a RFA was certainly fiscally sound, but was it also a vote of tenuous confidence? If he can lock down the left side, the Rams could have their best OL in years. If he is the weakest link, what then? Joe Noteboom to the rescue? Let’s hope not.

Tre’Davious White
If White can get healthy, stay healthy, and play at a level comparable to his best years… BOOM, we’d have a much-improved DB. If not… well, there’s always the trade market. I keep expecting the Rams to sign someone (Xavien Howard, Ahkello Witherspoon) as bust insurance but, so far, they seem to be confident with what they have.

Joshua Karty
To be fair, all rookies (at least, those expected to fill a key role) should be regarded as boom/bust prospects. Still, Karty is on this list for me because of the shit-show we had last year at PK (30th in FG%, 31st in XP%). If Karty becomes a reliable weapon (BOOM), it could swing a game or two. If not, back to the drawing board?

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Regarding Note and AJ.
It’s not their ability to play.
It’s their inability to play every week.

I’m fine with either of them starting, I just wish for more stability at the position.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Regarding Note and AJ.
It’s not their ability to play.
It’s their inability to play every week.

I’m fine with either of them starting, I just wish for more stability at the position.

Has AJ been an injury liability since his starting role?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If we're talking "boom-bust", I'd take Darious Williams over Joshua Karty. I love D-Will, but he's already thirty-one, and early thirties is when corners tend to drop off.

Will he be the guy he was with us? Or will his age show?

WestCoastRam

Legend
If we're talking "boom-bust", I'd take Darious Williams over Joshua Karty. I love D-Will, but he's already thirty-one, and early thirties is when corners tend to drop off.

Will he be the guy he was with us? Or will his age show?
I believe he had a very good year last year and was a cap casualty. Now the wheels fall off with corners but I expect him to play well.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I see great potential for this year’s Rams. A healthy Matthew Stafford, a top interior OL, young stars like Puka Nacua and Kyren Williams, and a defense bolstered by several rookies and FAs all give me realistic hopes for a deep playoff run.

There are four projected starters, though, who I look at as boom/bust players who could make or break our season. “Boom” could mean the Rams are a true contender. “Bust” could hold us back. They are:

Cooper Kupp
Perhaps this is a surprise, but I’m placing Kupp on a relative boom/bust scale. “Boom” means returning to something resembling his 2021 form. If he can get near that level, the combination of Kupp and Nacua could be nearly unstoppable. “Bust” would mean that he presents as a guy who is clearly past his prime and on the decline. I’m betting on “boom,” but it’s a cautious optimism.

Alaric Jackson
The Rams’ approach to LT was somewhat puzzling. Offering Jackson a tender deal as a RFA was certainly fiscally sound, but was it also a vote of tenuous confidence? If he can lock down the left side, the Rams could have their best OL in years. If he is the weakest link, what then? Joe Noteboom to the rescue? Let’s hope not.

Tre’Davious White
If White can get healthy, stay healthy, and play at a level comparable to his best years… BOOM, we’d have a much-improved DB. If not… well, there’s always the trade market. I keep expecting the Rams to sign someone (Xavien Howard, Ahkello Witherspoon) as bust insurance but, so far, they seem to be confident with what they have.

Joshua Karty
To be fair, all rookies (at least, those expected to fill a key role) should be regarded as boom/bust prospects. Still, Karty is on this list for me because of the shit-show we had last year at PK (30th in FG%, 31st in XP%). If Karty becomes a reliable weapon (BOOM), it could swing a game or two. If not, back to the drawing board?
Good thing about these four is we know they are plenty good enough.

CK and TW, you worry about the health but CK looked strong in the clip I saw today. I guess we just have to trust the Rams with AJ and we might get a surprise from our last pick, KTL.

JK can kick it! Can he do it on the big stage? Kickers are an enigma so every team has this question mark. And all rookies are question marks coming in the door.

The Rams will pick up another FA at some point.

fearsomefour

Legend

Cooper Kupp

Alaric Jackson

Tre’Davious White

Joshua Karty
White has questions marks for sure. Back to back serious injuries, but, if he is at 70% he is better than what the Rams have had the last few years.
Karty is a kicker and a rookie kicker at that. He will be a question mark until proven.
But, if he does have a couple of misses the Rams need to stick with him and let him work through it.
I would add Allen, Durant and Young to that list as well.

Allen showed he can be an affective receiver. He mostly did short work but should be athletic enough to work downfield.
Parkinson is a pretty much even replacement for Higbee, close enough anyway. The Rams need Parkinson and Allen to both step up to help the offense grow.

Durant could be such a key this year. Our top two CBs should be better, taking for granted White is mostly back. Having a CB group that is legit 3 or more deep is so huge. Durant doesn't have to be spectacular, but, making some plays and being dependable in coverage on key assignments as the #3 (I assume) would be huge for this D. Same can be said to a lesser degree for Kendricks and Tomlinson.

Young was streaky last year but certainly improved as the year went on.
Does he have another step to take?
Will Donald not being there have a big affect on his game....will Verse offset a good deal of that?
Hopefully Young can continue to develop and not have a sophomore slump.

Tano

Legend
Karty is a kicker and a rookie kicker at that. He will be a question mark until proven.
But, if he does have a couple of misses the Rams need to stick with him and let him work through it.
The reason why I wanted to get rid of Sloman as early as I did was because Sloman kicked his FGs way too low.

Karty doesn't have that problem.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Cooper Kupp

Alaric Jackson

Tre’Davious White

Joshua Karty
Of your list, I think Kupp is least likely to "Bust." Last year was somewhat a recovery year. This year, both Kupp and Nacua have called this Kupp's "Revenge Tour." Kupp isn't normally a guy who boasts about what he's about to do for the year and yet he's low key doing that now.

I'm impressed by Karty's iciness under pressure and am pretty confident he will be a big asset this year.

I am less confident about Alaric Jackson. I think he's decent at LT, but not great at the second most important position on the team. It's why I wanted Joe Alt so badly in the draft in order to solidify LT position for years. I feel that AJ is vulnerable to great DE's and Edge Rushers.

Tra'Davious White is one with whom I am least confident. I know he is someone who has been injured a lot. TBH, I really don't know much about him and so I'll have to trust McSnead about this guy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Cannot wait for first game menu with @CGI_Ram preparing Chili Con Karty. It Should have quite a kick to it.
How I Met Your Mother Yes GIF by HULU

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The reason why I wanted to get rid of Sloman as early as I did was because Sloman kicked his FGs way too low.

Karty doesn't have that problem.

His kick times of 1.26-1.34 seconds is really solid and significantly faster than Sloman.