Former Steelers DL Cam Thomas Signs With Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How many D-lineman will The Rams keep ??
Coples
Quinn
Simms
Brockers
Donald
Easley
Hayes
Westbrooks - L TP

Cam Thomas is there for depth ??
Longacre played well at DE at times,& will have another year of experience.

--My thoughts on Brockers is he needs more plays off. He plays so hard & his body has starters to take a toll. Especially during preseason.He has thinned out as well which adds the lack of beef.

9 Master Roster DL'ers
RDE-Sims/Westbrooks/Quinn
NT-Brockers/Thomas
DT-Donald/Easley
LDE-Hayes/Coples

2- Practice Squad DL'ers
DT-Louis Tricant-Pasat
DE-John Longacre

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
:yess:I feel much better now with this NT signing:). I'll shut up about the lack of a back up to Brockers now.
Considering that Worthington, was the only back-up cut, I'd say our depth is looking pretty good!(y):D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
9 Master Roster DL'ers
RDE-Sims/Westbrooks/Quinn
NT-Brockers/Thomas
DT-Donald/Easley
LDE-Hayes/Coples

2- Practice Squad DL'ers
DT-Louis Tricant-Pasat
DE-John Longacre
I smell a major camp battle coming on!!:mrburnsevil:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I smell a major camp battle coming on!!:mrburnsevil:
If the newly added veteran Nose Tackle comes to play we are set @ NT. The rotational reserves behind Donald's UT/DT post like Easley/Coples/Sims/Westbrooks are thick. The possible LDE prospects behind Hayes are even thicker.

The real camp battle will be for a Ram DL to display the much needed pass rush abilities in place of the diminished Rob Quinn @ RDE.:huh::cautious::eek:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If the newly added veteran Nose Tackle comes to play we are set @ NT. The rotational reserves behind Donald's UT/DT post like Easley/Coples/Sims/Westbrooks are thick. The possible LDE prospects behind Hayes are even thicker.

The real camp battle will be for a Ram DL to display the much needed pass rush abilities in place of the diminished Rob Quinn @ RDE.:huh::cautious::eek:
Unfortunately I'm a little worried about the same thing!! But with a lot of push up the middle, it may help the pass attack!!(y):D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Unfortunately I'm a little worried about the same thing!! But with a lot of push up the middle, it may help the pass attack!!(y):D
In 2015 season it was the interior DL that really carried the load of entire DL from about mid season on! Without the inside pass rush from the Donald/Fairley/Brockers & Westbrooks the Rams might of had a top five 2016 draft pick. The exterior DL'ers of Long/Sims/Longacre & Hayes did very little to pressure the QB.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
In 2015 season it was the interior DL that really carried the load of entire DL from about mid season on! Without the inside pass rush from the Donald/Fairley/Brockers & Westbrooks the Rams might of had a top five 2016 draft pick. The exterior DL'ers of Long/Sims/Longacre & Hayes did very little to pressure the QB.
True. But I want to give Long a break on this^ because he missed a lot of playing time because of injury, and he was playing hurt!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
hqdefault.jpg

Let hope Waufle can motivate this guy. We need more beef in the middle to spell Brockers.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/6/9/11894044/2016-los-angeles-rams-cam-thomas-scouting-report

New Rams DT Cam Thomas Q&A With Bolts from the Blue, Behind the Steel Curtain
By Sean Wilkinson@Papa_Lurch on Jun 9, 2016

usa-today-8935121.0.jpg

Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

Editor's Note - these interviews were conducted before the news that fellow Rams DT Louis Trinca-Pasat tore his MCL and ACL.

~~~

The Rams made several roster moves this week - one of which was adding former Chargers and Steelers DT Cam Thomas. We reached out to the managers of two SBNation communities from his former teams, Richard Wade from Bolts from the Blue (the home for fans of the San Diego Chargers) and Jeff Hartman of Behind the Steel Curtain (for fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers), to get some insight about what type of players the Rams were getting:

The Rams didn’t see much of Thomas during his time in the AFC. How would you describe his style of play?

Wade:

Cam Thomas is a decent run stuffer. His pass rushing ability is mediocre.

Hartman:

Thomas is a versatile player who can play both 3-4 DE as well as nose tackle. He was more of a depth defensive lineman for theSteelers, but did flex into the nose tackle position when an injury required him to assist there. Other than position, Thomas is your standard 3-4 defensive lineman. Not ridiculously athletic, but takes up blockers to allow the linebackers to make plays behind him.

Thomas has played both NT and DE in a 3-4 his entire career – first with the Chargers then with the Steelers. At 6-4 and a massive 330 pounds he has the build of a traditional DT. Do you think his ability transfers to the Rams 4-3 base defense?

Wade:

He's a better fit as a tackle in an even front than he was as 0-technique in San Diego. The position asked more of him than he had to give and he could not hold up.

Hartman:

Tough question considering I didn't see him in a 4-3 set while in Pittsburgh. Thomas is a player who is large, but not very athletic. He tends to get pushed off the ball easily, and his inside pass rushing moves are not the greatest. He is best against the run, but any type of movement which requires him to break down laterally will be a challenge for Thomas.

The Rams had a lot of leadership leave the defense when James Laurinaitis and Chris long were released this offseason. Is Thomas the type of player who likes to step up and fill that role?

Wade:

I've never seen him as a leader. He was, at least during his time in San Diego, much more of a "me-first" player, if anything.

Hartman:

If he is that type of player, he never showed it in Pittsburgh. In his time with the team he rarely saw the field with any regularity. Relegated to a backup position, Thomas simply wasn't able to crack the starting lineup. The same situation could be true with the Rams' stout defensive front. I will say he was never an issue in the locker room and off the field. His veteran leadership could help a young group like the Rams.

As a writer who has covered Thomas, what type of impact do you think he can have with stars like Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn playing alongside him?

Wade:

Thomas is a role player. He will probably have more success with Los Angeles because in that defense he won't be asked to play the kind of snaps that he did here and Pittsburgh. Playing next to players the caliber of Donald and Quinn cannot help but make him look better than he ever has before.

Hartman:

Thomas will know his responsibilities. When playing alongside guys like Donald and Quinn, you need to just do your job. Eat up the blockers and let them attack the backfield. Thomas will be able to do that for the Rams' defense. Unfortunately, Thomas does not display many playmaking characteristics which will impact the team on a regular basis.

A special thanks to Richard and Jeff for taking the time to answer these questions.