Former Rams QB signs with Seattle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I know Kaepernick has his issues, but he would seem a more "Wilson-like" back up.

Glad they picked Austin Davis!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I know Kaepernick has his issues, but he would seem a more "Wilson-like" back up.

I can definitely see where he appears " Wilson -like" Not as good but Wilson like! And the Rams will treat him just like Wilson, and sack him 4-5 times per game!!(y);):D

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Ok, Austin, follow the O-Coordinator into the interrogation room and tell us what we want to know about Fish's Offense. Must be the same this year from the way all the "experts" are downplaying the McVay effect!"
~Petey the Gum-chewer

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

My guess is it's 100% a money issue.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Funny, the last time we had even a bad offense, it was with Austin Davis and people are slamming him.

God bless. I mean, if Goff and other of our current stars can get a pass because that offense was historically bad, why can't Austin Davis be given a LITTLE credit for actually producing a little bit in it. Foles couldn't, Keenum couldn't and Goff couldn't. Each had reasons for sure.

I just respect the heck out of him because he actually produced (and by produced, I mean he threw for 300+ yards in multiple games) in basically the same offense that had Keenum and Goff struggling to produce 170.

Of course, he's not likely to be a huge off-season acquisition, but good on him for at least getting a shot in the league.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just respect the heck out of him because he actually produced (and by produced, I mean he threw for 300+ yards in multiple games) in basically the same offense that had Keenum and Goff struggling to produce 170.

Sorry don't agree with this at all. When Davis was doing that we were getting much better performances from the OLine. We were also getting some good production out of Zac Stacy and company in the run game. I too respect Davis for what he was accomplishing on a bad team but the supporting cast for him was playing much better than what they did for Goff and Keenum this past year. And as amazing as it sounds we were getting better play calling from Shotty than anything we saw the last 2 years.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Sorry don't agree with this at all. When Davis was doing that we were getting much better performances from the OLine. We were also getting some good production out of Zac Stacy and company in the run game. I too respect Davis for what he was accomplishing on a bad team but the supporting cast for him was playing much better than what they did for Goff and Keenum this past year. And as amazing as it sounds we were getting better play calling from Shotty than anything we saw the last 2 years.

I think you misunderstand me.

I'm just trying to give respect where respect was due. We didn't think the offense could get any worse after Schotty. Not the kind of thing where you expect the HC to say, "challenge accepted!"

I don't dispute anything you've said. AND, I respect any Ram that produces in any offense in any era. Davis wasn't "the answer". Not trying to say that. Also not trying to say that he's better than Goff or Mannion at this point.

I'm just glad he's getting another shot. I can't root for him because... Seattle, but I wish him well.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Funny, the last time we had even a bad offense, it was with Austin Davis and people are slamming him.

God bless. I mean, if Goff and other of our current stars can get a pass because that offense was historically bad, why can't Austin Davis be given a LITTLE credit for actually producing a little bit in it. Foles couldn't, Keenum couldn't and Goff couldn't. Each had reasons for sure.

Of course, he's not likely to be a huge off-season acquisition, but good on him for at least getting a shot in the league.

I remember Davis started out "good" but after a few games when teams could review his tape he wasn't starting caliber.....even as low of a standard as that has been for the Rams. Seems like a nice guy so I wish him the best.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I actually liked Davis - its a shame we didn't have an OC to help him counter when the defences worked out his play style...

Hope he sticks on their roster - dude was a stand up guy

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...-and-colin-kaepernick-supporters-are-furious/

The Seahawks sign QB Austin Davis and Colin Kaepernick supporters are furious

The Seahawks have signed quarterback Austin Davis to compete for their backup position, the team announced on Monday, ending speculation about Colin Kaepernick signing in Seattle.

Davis will compete for the No. 2 quarterback position behind Russell Wilsonalong with incumbent backup Trevone Boykin, who served as the backup to Wilson in 2016. Boykin not been that impressive on the field and has been decidedly unimpressive off of it.

The immediate reaction to this news is similar to the Cardinals signing Blaine Gabbert, because everyone started freaking out that Colin Kaepernick was not the guy chosen to be Wilson's backup.

Perhaps that shouldn't be a surprise considering what Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said after Kaepernick visited the Seahawks last week. Carroll said that Kaepernick is "a starter in this league."

"Colin's been a fantastic football player, and he's going to continue to be," Carroll said. "At this time, we didn't do anything with it, but we know where he is and who he is and we had a chance to understand him much more so. He's a starter in this league. And we have a starter.

"But he's a starter in this league, and I can't imagine that someone won't give him a chance to play."

This appears to be the same thing as "not a backup in this league" which is something people aren't lending enough credence to. Having a quarterback who is very good as a backup is nice, but sometimes teams don't want any attention on their backup quarterback.

Kaepernick was going to get multiple press conferences if the Seahawks signed him. The only reason anyone cares about Austin Davis is because he's not Colin Kaepernick.

And maybe the Seahawks have other reasons for why they don't want Kaepernick in the building, entirely unrelated to whatever Kaepernick is doing off the field.

Either way the Seahawks have decided to go with Davis over Kaepernick as the backup and people will probably spend the next 24 hours or so melting down until the next backup is signed.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I actually liked Davis - its a shame we didn't have an OC to help him counter when the defences worked out his play style...

Hope he sticks on their roster - dude was a stand up guy
I'll wish him well when he's not playing for one of our biggest enemies!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm hearing a juicy story out of a respectable AZ sports writer that the reason the Seahawks didn't sign Kap was because Wilson felt that having Kap in the locker room would only widen the divide between himself and the counter-culture (the defense) that's been reported as going on there...and having Kap as the #2 QB, while having the defensive guys behind him(Kap) would threaten his position as a guy who (reportedly) has the coaching staff in his back pocket.

Take it for what its worth. I'm searching for a link. It was reported/speculated on local radio today.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm hearing a juicy story out of a respectable AZ sports writer that the reason the Seahawks didn't sign Kap was because Wilson felt that having Kap in the locker room would only widen the divide between himself and the counter-culture (the defense) that's been reported as going on there...and having Kap as the #2 QB, while having the defensive guys behind him(Kap) would threaten his position as a guy who (reportedly) has the coaching staff in his back pocket.

Take it for what its worth. I'm searching for a link. It was reported/speculated on local radio today.
I heard on the Dan Patrick show this morning that he thought that would be a reason why Carroll wouldn't want to sign Kaep. That there was a divide already between Wilson and the Defense and if they signed Kaep and Wilson came out of the gate slow that he wouldn't want to listen to the defense bug him to start Kaep. Sounded like it was speculation that Patrick was creating.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I heard on the Dan Patrick show this morning that he thought that would be a reason why Carroll wouldn't want to sign Kaep. That there was a divide already between Wilson and the Defense and if they signed Kaep and Wilson came out of the gate slow that he wouldn't want to listen to the defense bug him to start Kaep. Sounded like it was speculation that Patrick was creating.
That's what this PHX writer is hearing.

Ram65

Legend
Davis added a little excitement to the Rams offense. A gunslinger with a weak arm not match for success. He moved around and made some nice plays. I remember going back to see his college highlights and was less than impressed. No ill will except he is a Hag and everyone knows what that means