Former Ram Roger Brown Passed Away

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Thought it was worth a mention.

I can go back 50 years as a Rams' fan, and Brown was even before my time.

The original Fearsome Foursome was Lamar Lundy and Deacon Jones at end, with Merlin Olsen and Rosey Grier inside. Grier's playing career came to an abrupt end in a 1967 pre-season-game. The Rams' Front Office acted quickly (much like the current Front Office has done) in replacing Rosey by making a trade with the Detroit Lions and acquired Roger Brown who stepped-in at DT.

George Allen had been a defensive coach and personnel man in Chicago before becoming the Rams' head coach, so he knew Roger Brown pretty well.

Brown was a stud. Six Pro Bowls in a ten-year-career; and twice an All Pro. He was one of the first true 300-lb NFL linemen. The re-worked Fearsome Foursome did not lose a step in 1967, going 11-1-2 and holding opponents to an NFL-best 14 points-per-game. 1968 was almost as productive ... 10-3-1 record, with opponents scoring just 14.3 per-game.

By 1969, Coy Bacon and Diron Talbert were starting for Lundy and Brown on the D-Line. Still a terrific group but not the original Fearsome Foursome.

Brown was a successful businessman post-playing-career, and lived to 84. Member of the College Football Hall of Fame, and the Lions' Ring-of-Honor. Seems like he had a tremendous life.

Just a little Nostalgia.

tempests

Hall of Fame
1632042339126.png

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Lundy got hurt in late 1968 and his playing days were pretty much over by 1969. Talbert started at right end in his place. Merlin and Deac were always on the left side. And actually Brown and Bacon platooned at RDT. Bacon played the 1st and 3rd quarters and Brown played the 2nd and 4th.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lundy got hurt in late 1968 and his playing days were pretty much over by 1969. Talbert started at right end in his place. Merlin and Deac were always on the left side.
And actually Brown and Bacon platooned at RDT. Bacon played the 1st and 3rd quarters and Brown played the 2nd and 4th.
I am guessing that was 1969 (Roger Brown's final season) when Bacon started 13 games.

Coy Bacon's first season was 1968; and he only played in 7 games that year.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
I remember going to games to see these guys and the rest of the mid / late 60's teams at the old Coliseum. The smell of cigars, alcohol and popcorn permeated the stadium back then. If you missed a play, you missed the play. And the game ended with the firing of a gun. (Blanks of course) :LOL: