Former coaches offer insight on Coty Sensabaugh, Quinton Coples

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Former coaches offer insight on Coty Sensabaugh, Quinton Coples
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...fer-insight-on-coty-sensabaugh-quinton-coples

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- The Los Angeles Rams have signed just two outside free agents since the new league year began on March 9. Cornerback Coty Sensabaugh and defensive end Quinton Coples came over in the second wave of free agency after the wild initial surge.

After spending their first four NFL seasons in the AFC, Coples and Sensabaugh aren't exactly familiar for Rams fans. So with the AFC coaches all gathered in one place Tuesday morning for media availability, it seemed like a good time to check in with them on what, exactly, the Rams are getting with their newest additions.

The reviews were a bit mixed.

Tennessee Titans coach Mike Mularkey noted Sensabaugh's overall knowledge of the game as a benefit for the Rams.

"Coty is smart, very smart, diligent, he knows a lot of things that are going to happen before they happen," Mularkey said. "He studies film much more than a lot of guys I have been around at that position. He can play inside in the nickel if needed, he's a good blitzer, good cover guy and a really good person in the locker room."

Sensabaugh figures to compete with E.J. Gaines for a starting job on the outside, and could factor into the mix in the nickel, where the Rams also have Lamarcus Joyner. But Mularkey said Sensabaugh is at his best in the slot.

"I think he's probably more productive inside, yeah, I would say that," Mularkey said. "But he can play outside, which is good to have a guy that versatile."

As for Coples, Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan is a little more unsure of where Coples is in his development. Ryan was the head coach of the New York Jets when they drafted Coples in the first round in 2012.

Coples never reached his potential or played up to that draft status for Ryan, but the Bills did have interest in Coples when the Jets released him last season.

"I have no idea," Ryan said. "We'll see. I think at one point I really thought the kid was going to take off. He had to battle through some injuries. I'm not sure, I haven't really looked at Quinton. We knew we couldn't afford him."

Ryan cited Coples' injury history as a determining factor in whether he will be able to help the Rams. Coples has dealt with elbow, shoulder and ankle ailments in his time in the league.

Ryan pointed to Coples' versatility as a reason he could be OK in the Rams' 4-3 scheme.

"He played a lot of that for us," Ryan said. "He played outside, played defensive end, did a lot of different things when we had him with the Jets. Hopefully he is healthy. I think that's the big thing. If he's healthy, he'll have a chance."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, now we know some of the reasons the Rams signed Coty Sensabaugh...Titan fans could not stand him, but I have faith in Gregg Williams and Sensabaugh has great speed for a corner blitz!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
He'll play that slot position and blitz a lot like Joyner did and Joyner can move to his best position at free safety. I like the Sensabaigh pick up for that reason. Instead of going "oh we lost a fs we need to get another fs in" they looked at the roster and thought we've got a fs on the roster listed at another position and then replaced him with a positional guy where there were more of them and better quality ones available (CB).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well, now we know some of the reasons the Rams signed Coty Sensabaugh...Titan fans could not stand him, but I have faith in Gregg Williams and Sensabaugh has great speed for a corner blitz!

No doubt. Playing for Williams is going to be very, very good for CS given that he has talent and is known to watch film and put in that effort to be better. Would not surprise me if he plays his best ball yet for us for that reason.

I'm not expecting him to be any sort of savior for this secondary. If Gaines is healthy there won't be much of a competition. In the event Gaines isn't healthy, well, THAT's why they brought CS in. He's depth with some upside and they paid him a little too much so that they could focus heavy on offense in this draft I think.

Coples won't have any pressure to carry anything with the Rams, he should be able to just line up and play backup snaps on a very talented line. His true benefit is he will help keep Hayes fresh, and if he puts it all together even better.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Most fans (Rams included) tend to bash and bad-mouth most former players...I tend to think that coaches who want a guy know better than most bitter and/or cynical fans...Foles was a miss, but I kind of like what I've read about these guys...