For Rams QB Bryce Perkins, it’s finally game time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

For Rams QB Bryce Perkins, it’s finally game time​

THOUSAND OAKS — At the Rams’ minicamp and training camp this summer, Bryce Perkins and Duck Hodges spent a lot of time standing and watching Matthew Stafford get the ex-Lion’s share of practice reps and John Wolford take most of the rest.

But the two quarterbacks competing for a spot on the Rams’ roster knew they’d get their turn.

“We’re like, our time to shine is August 14th,” Perkins said.

Their time has arrived.

Perkins, who spent last season on the practice squad, and Hodges, the former Pittsburgh Steelers backup signed as a free agent in January, will take turns running the offense Saturday night when the Rams open the preseason against the Chargers at SoFi Stadium.

Coach Sean McVay plans to hold 35 regulars out of the game and a similar number out of the next two exhibitions to protect against injuries, and Wolford wouldn’t have played anyway after having his appendix removed Aug. 6.

For someone like Perkins, 24, this is the long-overdue chance to suit up for an NFL game after the COVID-19 pandemic prompted the cancellation of the 2020 preseason.

“It’s going to be exciting. I know energy is going to be up. I’m going to be locked in and prepared,” Perkins said Friday of the game that will mark the first time fans watch the Rams or Chargers play a game at SoFi Stadium.

If Perkins’ patience has been tested, it’s not the first time.

The Arizona state high school championship-winning quarterback – younger brother of former UCLA running back Paul Perkins – had his college career interrupted when he fractured two vertebrae in his neck in an Arizona State practice in 2016. Surgery would have meant no more football. Instead, he recovered by spending four months in a neck brace.

Having fallen behind other ASU quarterbacks, Perkins decided to leave and spend the 2017 season at Arizona Western community college in Yuma, Ariz., demonstrating his health and ability for any major program that was watching.

Virginia was watching. Perkins passing and running led the Cavaliers to an 8-5 record and their first bowl victory in 13 seasons in 2018, and a 9-4 season and the ACC championship game in 2019. As a senior, he finished sixth in the nation in total yards with 4,299 (3,530 passing, 769 rushing) and fourth in pass completions (319), although he also threw the ninth-most interceptions (12).

Rams coach Sean McVay remembers seeing Perkins drive the Cavaliers to a touchdown pass that briefly tied the ACC championship game – before Trevor Lawrence and Clemson overwhelmed them.

But the Rams had already been aware of Perkins, since General Manager Les Snead’s son Logan was a walk-on linebacker at Virginia.

After Perkins was passed over in the 2020 draft, the Rams signed him as a free agent.

He has size (6-foot-3, 214 pounds), foot speed and a passing arm that the team thinks has improved in his year on the practice squad.

“When things break down off-schedule, (a blocker) gets beat, with that athleticism he can kind of find a way of, when it’s wrong, making it right,” McVay said.

“That’s what he did in his career at Virginia. He’s done that at practices for us over the last year. And now you guys will get a chance to see it too.”

A year without a game might have been a lucky break, because Perkins thinks he’ll look better Saturday than he would have if he’d been on the field in 2020.

“Last year, I remember hearing some of the play calls, and I’m like, ‘There’s no way I’ll ever be able to get these play calls down,’” he said. “But now I feel really comfortable about getting the play call, getting it out and then going up there and executing.

“I always take every opportunity to learn. My big thing is growth. I’d rather go out there when I feel ready mentally than rushing out there just because I want to be out there. I love coming out here, and taking different things from different guys, and learning to be a pro’s pro.”

Those guys include Stafford, the quarterback acquired from the Detroit Lions in a swap for Jared Goff in January.

“He’s great to work with,” Perkins said of the Rams’ new star. “He shows that he cares. The young guys, he doesn’t let us go out there and make mistakes without learning from it.”

Perkins’ first NFL game will be an exhibition and will find him working with a backup offensive line, receivers who won’t include Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, DeSean Jackson or Tyler Higbee, and a backfield that won’t include Darrell Henderson.

But at least it’s a game, Perkins’ first since a 36-28 loss to Kyle Trask and Florida in the Dec. 30, 2019 Orange Bowl.

“Being a football player and not playing football (for) a whole year,” he said, “kind of gets me anxious to get out there.”

Ramon Ram

Starter
Looking forward to seeing him play as his college highlights say he can be a player in the nfl. Personally I’d rather see him than wolford, if he is ready, to be our backup.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I truly believe if this kid had another year with Bronco, he'd have been drafted, possibly even high.
He's a talent for sure

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I truly believe if this kid had another year with Bronco, he'd have been drafted, possibly even high.
He's a talent for sure

Big fan of Branco Mendenhall and it's not easy to recruit at UVA as it's up there in academics with Stanford & Notre Dame. Perkins has the skills and the Rams seem to have never had a QB that could actually extend a play, let alone, run for numerous fist downs.

As to Duck Hodges, he has experience and that's about it IMO, not expecting much from him, which means that Hodges will probably play lights out and Perkins will struggle.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Best of luck to both those guys tonight. And be ready for pressure up the middle. :clinkingbeer:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Bryce Perkins makes most of return to live game action​

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – Bryce Perkins dropped back to pass, scanned through his progressions, then saw an opening to escape the pocket and took off – on 3rd and 9, no less.

Determined to get the first down, the second-year Rams quarterback stiff-armed one defender to the ground, then hurdled another and crossed the line to gain as he landed.

"I definitely felt it," Perkins said postgame, when asked if he could feel his teammates energy when he made the hurdle. "And usually, I always tell my parents this, growing up (in) high school and Pop Warner, when they're closer, they always say they're yelling at me, 'Can you hear me? Can you hear me?' And I always say 'No, when I'm on the field usually I can't hear anything.' But after that play I heard it. It seemed like I heard everybody, everything, saw everybody. But it was awesome. It was a great energy boost and I'm glad that I could make that play for the team."

The day before Saturday night's preseason game against the Chargers at SoFi Stadium, Perkins expressed excitement about the chance to display his dual-threat skillset that had he spent the last year deploying in a practice setting as a member of the Rams' practice squad.

In their preseason opener, the 2020 undrafted free agent signee out of Virginia was able to do just that and make the most of the opportunities presented to him.

Entering the game midway through the second quarter for his first offensive snaps, Perkins capitalized on a 46-yard punt return by running back Raymond Calais that set the Rams up near midfield by leading them on their only scoring drive of the contest. Wide receiver Trishton Jackson, who repped often with Perkins during training camp at UC Irvine, hauled in a four-yard touchdown pass from Perkins at the end of the series to give the Rams a 6-3 lead late in the first half.

Though Perkins' other two offensive series of the night ended with punts, it didn't diminish what he was able to accomplish from an operational standpoint.

"I thought he did a nice job," Rams head coach Sean McVay said. "I was real pleased with him. You could see he had a couple of great off-schedule plays tonight. That third-down and nine, that's definitely on SportsCenter tonight. It was exciting to be able to see. I thought the overall operation, getting in and out of the huddle, communicating some of the play call, sending the motions, mixing up your cadence. It's definitely a good positive night for (QB) Bryce (Perkins)."

Perkins, who finished 7 of 10 for 42 yards in addition to that touchdown pass, and added four carries for 23 yards, said he felt comfortable and confident out on the field Saturday night. While heading into the game it felt like he hadn't played live football in a long time, his goal was to have the last year and a half of behind-the-scenes work translate in that setting.

"I tried to stay disciplined with my feet and my eyes and make plays when they were there, and then just be decisive and everything like that," Perkins said. "I think it went pretty well."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am enjoying both these QBs duking it out here. Perkins won round one, and will probably win round two, but both should look good vs the Raiders. Going from Staley to Bradley even in preseason is a dropoff IMO.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Perkins looks good for the next couple of games, would McVay consider making him the #2 QB? And how many players can the Rams protect on the practice squad this year?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Perkins looks good for the next couple of games, would McVay consider making him the #2 QB? And how many players can the Rams protect on the practice squad this year?
Trade Wolford for a high pick! I heard somewhere he was starter quality.