For Rams, Getting Young O-Line together a top OTA Priority

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
For Rams, getting young offensive line together a top OTA priority
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ng-offensive-line-together-a-top-ota-priority

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Upon releasing veteran offensive linemen Scott Wells and Jake Long, opting not to re-sign guard Davin Joseph and choosing only to add linemen through the NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams once again committed to being young.

That should be no surprise for a team that has often had no issue with embracing youth in recent seasons. In fact, the Rams have been one of the youngest teams in the league in each of coach Jeff Fisher's three years with the team. That will likely be the case again this year but nowhere will that be more apparent than on the offensive line.

As it stands, the projected starters on the Rams' offensive line have an average age of 23.4 years old. If it panned out that way, the Rams would have the youngest line in the league with only the Detroit Lions coming within two years at 23.8.

Taking it a step further, only guard Rodger Saffold comes with even one full season of starting experience. Saffold has 60 career starts to his name. The rest of the team's offensive linemen combine for a total of 43 NFL starts with projected swing tackle Garrett Reynolds offering 27 of those, left tackle Greg Robinson supplying 12 and center Tim Barnes providing four.

In other words, aside from Saffold, only Robinson is a sure thing to bring NFL starting experience to the table as the Rams wade through these organized team activities (OTAs). While rookies like projected right tackle Rob Havenstein, guard Jamon Brown and guard Cody Wichmann played and started a lot of games in college, it's still going to take some time to get everyone up to speed at the NFL level.

And though Barnes has the only starting experience among a trio of centers competing for the starting job, it's not a guarantee he'll win the spot. Barrett Jones has been in the league for two years and is considered one of the team's most intelligent players. Demetrius Rhaney missed his rookie season last year but also figures into the mix.

Havenstein is all but certain to take over as the starting right tackle and, as it stands, Brown projects to be one of the starting guards though the Rams may opt for Reynolds in one of those spots until Brown is ready to go. They could also pursue a veteran option such as free agent Justin Blalock but nothing has materialized on that front yet.

All of which is to say that during these OTAs, the most important man in the building might be offensive line coach Paul Boudreau. Boudreau has a longstanding reputation for coaching up young players and getting them ready to go but this might be one of his most difficult challenges yet. Fortunately for him and his young linemen, the Rams hope to be a power running team capable of controlling the line of scrimmage. There's not a whole lot of thinking that goes into such an approach, which could shorten the learning curve a bit for Boudreau's young group of maulers.

This is just the latest in a series of attempts to rebuild a unit that the Rams never seem to quite get right. But as OTAs continue and we head toward training camp, all eyes will be on an offensive line that's starting over once again.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Good grief, who proof reads this stuff....or better yet, does the math?

>>Rams' offensive line have an average age of 23.4 years old. If it panned out that way, the Rams would have the youngest line in the league with only the Detroit Lions coming within two years at 23.8.<<

Oh Really, two years you say?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

>>Rams' offensive line have an average age of 23.4 years old. If it panned out that way, the Rams would have the youngest line in the league with only the Detroit Lions coming within two years at 23.8.<<

.4 x 5 = 2.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Actually, as long as the third youngest OL is 25.5 years old, that statement would be correct. Detroit has the only line that is within 2 years of the Rams' line. No idea if they are factually correct, but the wording is accurate, even if not crystal clear.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
The wording is accurate? First of all "have" should read (has), but that's not the problem. Where do you derive 25.5 years from, when the only two years mentioned are 23.4 and 23.8. Whether or not 23.8 should read 25.8 is immaterial based upon the words "coming within two years at 23.8"

This entire phrase is completely incorrect and worse, inaccurate.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The wording is accurate? First of all "have" should read (has), but that's not the problem. Where do you derive 25.5 years from, when the only two years mentioned are 23.4 and 23.8. Whether or not 23.8 should read 25.8 is immaterial based upon the words "coming within two years at 23.8"

25.5 is just above two years older than 23.4 - that's the source of that number. If Detroit is the only team besides the Rams younger than 25.5, then they would indeed be the only team in the NFL coming within two years at 23.8.<<

i.e. ONLY the Lions are within 2 years of the Rams' youth on the OL - so long as no other team is younger than 25.5 on average.

So the statement is in fact - fully correct. Presumably the writer said two years because there is another team at 25.5 or so. I haven't crunched the numbers for every team, but if that is the case, then indeed the Lions would be the only team coming within two years at 23.8.

As I said, it may not have been the most clearly expressed, but in fact it is accurate, assuming that the author's numbers are correct. (i.e. the Rams' average OL age is 23.4, the Lions' is 23.8, and the next closest is at least 25.5)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Shoot, we'll fix that!
041220_martz.jpg

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Since none of us has yet to witness a practice in pads yet with some definate outcomes being obvious we all will wait till we get spoon fed info as we get it. Don't know if I'm to believe Cignetti might really run some ZONE OL schemes this year after we drafted for such a SPECIFIC manner and passed on Players Like Fisher who does well in zone and is so freakin athletic and took a guy who is now our for life barring a trade thats not happening in Robby Havenstein who is farm boy strong and born to be an OL but just needs to get in NFL shape and stay injury free please.

Don't shoot me as I'm all behind Coach O's assessment that Barnes is our best OC at this point even tho the Rams did'nt pay nor treat him like they thought he was our guy for the next 5 years. I hope as he added 15 lbs last year and I hope a lil more since his recovery from last years injuries he is our biggest OC to match the size I'm wanting on our OL. I just want to stir the pot a lil' by sayin Barrett Jones was seen runnin some with the 1st teamers yesterday and as he is a super bright guy and I've watched too much film on the guy to know he fits a zone scheme to a "T" with the way he blocked his senior season. Dude specializes in those techniques as he loves to just wall his guys off more than dominate them with power. I also have no clue as to what B. Jones looks like compared to Barnes and would probably pay money to get to check them both out in the weight room. (I'm married with old kids so no jokes here please) Just truly deeply interested how all this is gonna work and play out through competition when the Defense is just so freakin dominant.

I guess it can only help to practice against the best till aaron Donald makes you just look stoopid too many plays in a row. I'm SO VERY GLAD our "D" line will get the plowgirls at Oxnard and actually see what a badass OL really looks like. That could actually get "Pay Per View" prices from me to get to watch. That will be our "D" lines highlight of the offseason and staying healthy. Go RAMS!!!

jjab360

Legend

Actually the full sentence "As it stands, the projected starters on the Rams' offensive line have an average age of 23.4 years old." is grammatically correct. "Starters" is the pronoun not "offensive line", therefore the plural "have" verb tense is used correctly in this sense.

As others have stated the numbers check out as well so c'mon man, proofread your proofreading.. ;)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Math & English lesson in the same thread...Where am I? Is this the twilight zone? I knew those alternate universe thingy's were real....