Football Outsiders- "Factors: Tavon Austin"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wrstdude

Rookie
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/factors-tavon-austin

Tavon Austin became the fourth player since 1960 to have a 60+-yard receiving touchdown, a 60+-yard rushing touchdown, and a 60+-yard punt return touchdown all in the same season.
I hate tidbits like that. They're the empty filler that litters PR sheets. Any way a player can possibly stand out is documented, then that bit of knowledge is ejected into the world for us to see how rare the player is. Did you know that last year, Kellen Clemens became the first Rams backup quarterback with a 2:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio since T.J. Rubley? No, you didn't. Because I made it up. Because it has little to do with how the player actually played.

The element of Tavon Austin's season you probably heard about was that Brian Schottenheimer had problems working him into the game plan. That's a neat way of dressing up Austin while maintaining his rarity. "Well, he's just such a unique player. It takes time to figure out how to use those guys correctly."

But Schottenheimer's problems using Austin mostly came about because Austin actually wasn't very good last season. Schottenheimer did him no favors, and the quarterbacks played poorly, but Austin has to own some of his own problems. For a guy who left approximately 829 Big 12 defenders on the ground in 2012, Austin sure didn't have much to offer in space as a rookie.

And that, more than anything, is why his numbers were poor. That's why the -19.8% DVOA was tagged on him. Because he was rare, but also rarely a functional weapon.

The method
I looked at where Austin lined up before each snap. I gave an educated guess on whether he was facing man or zone coverage, as well as one for the type of route he ran. This can be hard to tell at times, and I still don't think my eye for film matches up with the best in the industry, but I did my best. I don't come into this looking to make sweeping conclusions based on the data we use. In fact, I don't come into this column looking to have a final say on anything.

The target totals listed below don't quite match the total listed on our wideout stats page. This is because we did not consider certain plays, including:

• Hail Mary attempts
  • Clear throwaways by an under-pressure Sam Bradford or Kellen Clemens
  • Balls tipped at the line of scrimmage
  • Targets listing Austin as the primary receiver in which a defender hit the quarterback during his throwing motion
Here are my observations:

TAVON AUSTIN'S SEASON BY FIELD ZONES

AustinByZones.png

"Behind the line of scrimmage" includes passes that traveled less than one yard. "Short" indicates passes that traveled between 1-15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. "Deep" indicates passes that traveled 16 or more yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Red numbers show a Success Rate of 50 percent or higher. Black numbers show a Success Rate between 40-49 percent, and blue numbers show a Success Rate of 39 percent or lower.

Success Rate is defined as the percentage of receptions where the player gains 45% of needed yards on first down, 60% of needed yards on second down, or 100% of needed yards on third or fourth down. Some of these numbers may look "off" at times because pass interference plays are incomplete passes that are "successful."

1. Screen, smoke, suck
So here's this first-round slot receiver the Rams invested the No. 9 overall pick on. You would think maybe he'd be shifty enough to actually garner a missed tackle or two on some screens.

Instead, Austin seemed almost utterly preoccupied with how fast he could put his foot in the ground and get upfield. It is true that Austin's speed is world-class -- that stood out even on these failed screens. But Austin was not powerful enough to take a hit while shifting his weight, nor does he have the balance to re-establish himself on glancing blows of the NFL caliber.

The result was that the Rams had an 18 percent Success Rate on screen passes to their jitterbug receiver. Did Schottenheimer have some involvement in this? Sure. His screen designs were either completely base or so agonizingly complicated that you'd think he found them in Ulysses.

But the main problem the Rams had with these plays last year was that Austin had no ability to make anyone miss in open space. After watching some college tape, I don't think he completely lacks this ability. But I do think he never properly adjusted to the NFL's speed and tackling, and I do wonder how coaching may have contributed to that.

WHERE AUSTIN LINED UP ON HIS TARGETS

AustinLOS.png

"Slot" plays include all plays in which a receiver was inside of another receiver, regardless of how tight to the line he was. (For tight ends, if they are lined up at the LOS, they are counted as inline.) Some plays in the charting project include two or three "slot receivers" by this definition.

2. Yet another pun about depth
The other important element that Austin's speed was supposed to add to the Rams offense was a deep threat that could stretch the field. Except on deep balls, Austin could muster only a 36 percent Success Rate. And one of those four successes was a pass interference call that went his way.

As usual when it comes to these players that haven't seen many NFL snaps, I'll turn the floor over to Matt Waldman's 2013 RSP to show us something prescient:

Unlike McCluster, Austin has been targeted more often in the deep game and he makes good plays with his back to the football when he gets separation from coverage.

This is where I think a better comparison of Austin’s skills is former Browns runner-turned Falcons receiver, Eric Metcalf, a player I heard Jon Gruden mention on a telecast.

Similar to Metcalf, Austin’s his top-end speed on deep routes isn't as impressive on the field because he can get shoved off course by defensive backs fighting for position. While a faster athlete than Davone Bess he’s neither as skilled as Bess nor as athletic as Steve Smith when it comes to making plays in tight coverage 15 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Indeed, this was the case on most of Austin's deep targets. Cornerbacks found him easy to push around downfield, and the few times Austin won the ball deep, he usually found himself wide open due to a blown assignment. (Of course, he also torched Vontae Davis once.) With a small guy who has to win separation to get a good shot at the ball, your quarterback can't rely on him coming back over the top to get the ball. It takes an almost perfect ball to get it there.

And yeah, the Rams employed Sam Bradford and Kellen Clemens last year.

AUSTIN VERSUS MAN, AUSTIN VERSUS ZONE

AustinManZone.png

AUSTIN'S ROUTES

AustinRoutes.png

Obviously we don't have the actual play calls. These charts are educated guesses and should not be considered gospel.

3. Banana peels for hands
Austin was targeted on 71 balls last season. I threw four of them completely out of the sample as they were uncatchable due to reasons beyond Austin's control.

We listed Austin with six drops on those other 67 balls. And I think our charters were more than a little kind on a few others that were close.

To give credit to Austin, he was being used as a more conventional weapon. His routes weren't flawless, but they were a clear step up from how he was used in college. He had a lot to work on in this area, and it's okay that he didn't nail it all in his first season. He even started showing some hesitation and double moves down the stretch.

But this year was an utter waste. He especially struggled to catch low balls, high balls, balls that hit him in the hands, balls behind him, and balls ahead of him. It's almost impossible to be an effective underneath receiver when you're letting that many balls hit the ground.

4. Shaking out the unshakeable
If you happened to watch the NBA Draft on Thursday night, you watched the continuation of the Philadelphia 76ers' plan to create assets and not worry about winning now. Not coming over from Europe for a few years? Awesome. Broken bone in your foot? No worries! The Sixers know they won't win next season even if they hit on the most NBA-ready of players in the draft, and are willing to create a team full of long-term assets.

I bring this up because this is what the St. Louis Rams receiver depth chart looks like to me. The Rams have five different NFL receivers who were drafted before the fourth round, and a worthy reclamation project in Kenny Britt. Without going through all of them, one-by-one, I don't know how much credit or blame to assign them. They're working with a quarterback who I think will be released or traded after the season. They're working in a system that seeks to establish the run first. There doesn't seem to be any sort of established pecking order. The Rams seem like they could have a good receiving corps if they just let it happen, but instead they have a field full of long-term assets.

How does Austin fit in? I can't imagine that he'll be much more versatile than he was last season. If he can work on his balance and improve his elusiveness, he has a chance to work out as a Randall Cobb-type player. Based on what I saw of him last season, my first impression is that Austin is Ace Sanders with more speed and worse hands.

Tavon Austin's NFL tombstone has yet to be written. But after one year, the verdict shows that he's too unique to be effective.

Author apparently expected a pro-bowl season from the rookie and then he added the last little parting shot at the end that I bolded/underlined/italicized/enlarged...

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But this year was an utter waste. He especially struggled to catch low balls, high balls, balls that hit him in the hands, balls behind him, and balls ahead of him. It's almost impossible to be an effective underneath receiver when you're letting that many balls hit the ground.

I don't know that it was "an utter waste." That's a bit harsh. The same things were said about Kendricks in 2011 (hands), because he was thinking too much and not playing instinctively. Kendricks' hands were heralded coming out of Wisconsin just the way Austin's hands were heralded coming out of WVU. The decision, going forward, is how to use him. Do you stick him in the X and let it rip, or do you keep bouncing him around and use him all over the field? The latter is the reason why he wasn't as effective as he *could have been*. That's a lot to learn for one player. 4 positions? Gotta let things slow down for him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
More Sam hate,ah well flag this article and when Sam gets a pro bowl berth rub his pug nose in it.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

I don't know that it was "an utter waste." That's a bit harsh. The same things were said about Kendricks in 2011 (hands), because he was thinking too much and not playing instinctively. Kendricks' hands were heralded coming out of Wisconsin just the way Austin's hands were heralded coming out of WVU. The decision, going forward, is how to use him. Do you stick him in the X and let it rip, or do you keep bouncing him around and use him all over the field? The latter is the reason why he wasn't as effective as he *could have been*. That's a lot to learn for one player. 4 positions? Gotta let things slow down for him.

Yeah ,the expectations of the 8th pick, not the 9th was too much ,Shottenheimer IMO knows how to use him if he quits trying to use him for everything all at once.

For Christ sake if you're going to write an in depth analysis of someone and you want cred either don't say where he was drafted or get it right.

"So here's this first-round slot receiver the Rams invested the No. 9 overall pick on":rolleyes:

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
It drives me crazy when a players draft position is used as criteria to judge him as a player. He didn't draft himself. We drafted him when we HAD to draft him if we wanted that player. His level of contribution to the success of the offense is still not determined. But if he is the difference in ONE victory this year than he is worth it. And I believe he will be because he was the difference in at least one victory last year (imo)

cracengl

Rookie
I think some of the plays called for him were too obvious at times. I found myself calling the play in the flat a lot before it happened. It's not so much about finding a way to use him, but disguising it better. Not to mention, if more of the other wide receivers were instilling fear in the the other team's defense, there'd be more room for Tavon to work.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Odd. This is the best we've been in years IMO... yet I can't remember ever reading so many negative articles written about our team.

Maybe these writers are getting the information from the haters?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Instead, Austin seemed almost utterly preoccupied with how fast he could put his foot in the ground and get upfield. It is true that Austin's speed is world-class -- that stood out even on these failed screens. But Austin was not powerful enough to take a hit while shifting his weight, nor does he have the balance to re-establish himself on glancing blows of the NFL caliber.
How many times are we going to see this??? Austin isn't ever going to break tackles; that's not his game. Speed and vision. That's his game.

JRobinson

MiLB
While I appreciate the diagrams and breakdowns. I honestly believe that the implications of being a rookie had a lot to do with it along with the high expectations because of his draft status. Just simply watching his punt return vs the Colts makes the case of "unable to make guys miss in space" completely moot in my estimation. The guy is elusive and will improve.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
This guy must have no life.

And what the fuck is this: "He's too unique to be effective." ???

It's football. Move the hell on and stop fuckin overanalzying every damn thing.

Anyone mind if I mess around with statistics for a minute?

Week 7 (the week his starting QB went down and we switched to the most conservative O ever) to week 13 (his injury against Arizona):

23 plays 463 yards (projects out to 1058 yards) 4 TDs 20.1 yards per touch 0 drops*

*OK I cheated and included his TD against Carolina :whistle:, I didn't however include what would have been an 80 yard TD against Tennessee which he would have had if Clemens could have hit a wide open player.

Oh and there might have been another TD I've forgotten? Something about 98 rings a bell :confused:.

The "problem" with Tavon was he wasn't elite from day 1. A 6 week adjustment period is unacceptable in the modern day NFL.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never saw Austin as a primary receiving threat.

More of a "gimick" player (not meant in a bad way).

He needs creative play calling to put him in situations where he has room to run because, frankly, he's a bit on the small side.

His strength is getting open enough that he can make guys miss.

Just wasn't enough of those kinds of plays last year... a lot of times, he was too close to the LOS and there was a concentration of defenders right there, in his way.

Schottenheimer says Austin "gets it" now, after one year.

I hope Schottenheimer "gets it" too.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Might as well keep bouncing him around now.....seriously.....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be frank, this was a poorly written article. I tore it to shreds on another site. The writer either didn't put the time in he claims on film or simply omitted things that didn't suit the story he was trying to sell. Worst of all, it reeks of the same obnoxious, snarky journalism that Bernie writes with. Can't stand that.

Be professional. Spare us the snarkiness.

RamWoodie

Legend
I never saw Austin as a primary receiving threat.

More of a "gimick" player (not meant in a bad way).

He needs creative play calling to put him in situations where he has room to run because, frankly, he's a bit on the small side.

His strength is getting open enough that he can make guys miss.

Just wasn't enough of those kinds of plays last year... a lot of times, he was too close to the LOS and there was a concentration of defenders right there, in his way.

Schottenheimer says Austin "gets it" now, after one year.

I hope Schottenheimer "gets it" too.
I can't buy the "gimmick" role. Like you...that's how I saw Austin...and I have to admit I didn't see much of him when he was in college. I watched Austin with great interest because I really respect Fishers opinion of players.

As I watched Austin play last year, and listened to him...he is simply a multi-purpose player and the kid doesn't lack confidence. Not only that, he acknowledges his shortcomings and dedicates himself to be better. So far it seems he understands from last year, that there's a lot of speed in the NFL, and he needs to gain the wisdom of HOW to use his speed.

Much of his yardage last year was not "gimmick" plays...the Rams got the matchup they wanted and the kid executed.

So I say again...TA is not a "gimmick" player...he's a multi talented player that can get you yards from anywhere on the field.

JRobinson

MiLB
Much of his yardage last year was not "gimmick" plays...the Rams got the matchup they wanted and the kid executed.

I recall Tavon gettin a chunk of yards on a backside reverse, punt return, 9 route, and other returns. I also agree that he's not a "gimmick player" by any means. But, he does fit the mold of a player that will greatly succeed on those types of plays more than most.

I also think that he did execute on a good bit of plays, but there were a few others where you would have liked him to come up with a big catch in a clutch situation. I recall a particular 3rd down throw that was low by Clemens. Tavon dove and had a chance to come up with a tough catch and didn't. That happens. I get that for sure. I'd like just to see an improvement of consistency in those types of situations which I believe we will.