Foolio's 2017 Awards

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/08/pfts-2017-awards/

PFT’s 2017 awards
Posted by Mike Foolio on January 8, 2018, 11:35 PM EST

(I removed the giant pic of Tom Brady that was in this space. You're welcome).

The official NFL awards for the 2017 season will be unveiled the night before the Super Bowl, long after the point at which anyone cares. When it comes to the official PFT awards, no one cares right now.

So why wait?

As always, I seek input from the full PFT staff. As always, blame them if you don’t like the decisions reflected below.

By the way, we’ve added a few categories this year. Which gives you a few more things to not care about.

Offensive rookie of the year: Saints running back Alvin Kamara. (Runners-up: Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt.)

Defensive rookie of the year: Saints cornerback Marshon Lattimore. (Runners-up: Bills cornerback Tre'Davious White, Browns defensive end Myles Garrett.)

Special-teams rookie of the year: Eagles kicker Jake Elliott. (Runners-up: Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker, Bears running back Tarik Cohen.)

Offensive player of the year: Steelers receiver Antonio Brown. (Runners-up: Rams running back Todd Gurley, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.)

Defensive player of the year: Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald. (Runners-up: Jaguars defensive lineman Calais Campbell, Cardinals linebacker Chandler Jones.)

Special-teams player of the year: Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein. (Runners-up: Ravens kicker Justin Tucker, Rams punter Johnny Hekker.)

Assistant coach of the year: Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur. (Runners-up: Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, Rams special-teams coordinator John Fassel.)

Coach of the year: Rams coach Sean McVay. (Runner-up: Vikings coach Mike Zimmer, Patriots coach Bill Belichick.)

Comeback player of the year: Chargers receiver Keenan Allen. (Runners-up: Vikings quarterback Case Keenum, Rams running back Todd Gurley.)

Executive of the year: Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis/assistant G.M. Jeff Ireland. (Runners-up: Eagles executive V.P. of football operations Howie Roseman, Vikings G.M. Rick Spielman.)

MVP: Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. (Runners-up: Rams running back Todd Gurley, Steelers receiver Antonio Brown.)

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
(I removed the giant pic of Tom Brady that was in this space. You're welcome).

Maybe I am in the minority, but I believe it was wrong of @Prime Time to take away from the organic richness of Foolio's column. Ahem. Column restored...

11334.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I look at the difference between the best offensive player of the year and the MVP like this: whoever racked up the most TD's and/or yards gets the offensive player of the year award and for MVP it's which player would make the most impact if they were not available to play due to injury.

In my opinion Tom Brady doesn't deserve this award because Belichick would insert another QB in Brady's place and the Patriots would keep rolling. I think Russell Wilson or Todd Gurley would be my choice.

Antonio Brown racked up 1,533 receiving yards and 9 TD's in 14 games so that choice doesn't surprise me but again Todd Gurley should be one of the top choices.

fearsomefour

Legend
I look at the difference between the best offensive player of the year and the MVP like this: whoever racked up the most TD's and/or yards gets the offensive player of the year award and for MVP it's which player would make the most impact if they were not available to play due to injury.

In my opinion Tom Brady doesn't deserve this award because Belichick would insert another QB in Brady's place and the Patriots would keep rolling. I think Russell Wilson or Todd Gurley would be my choice.

Antonio Brown racked up 1,533 receiving yards and 9 TD's in 14 games so that choice doesn't surprise me but again Todd Gurley should be one of the top choices.
Keenum would get some consideration for MVP as well given the fact many considered the Vikings season toasted after Bradford went down. Going from a toasted season to favorites to win the NFC, yes, Keenum is all grown up now and provides tremendous value to the Vikings.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I think that's a fair standard to use.

Wilson should probably be MVP, and this is the second year he's carried that team on his back. Another back may not have done what Gurley did so he's in the mix. For sure he's OPOTY, and Donald is DPOTY.

Man did Snead/Fisher nail those two selections. Hopefully they stay in a Rams uni forever.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Gurley led (non kickers) the league in scoring with 19 TDs/114 points, more than double what Brown put up. Brown was only the 4th best scoring WR.

Gurley is the top (non QB) player in yards per game at 139.5. Next up is Le'Veon Bell at 129.7. Antonio Brown is back at 109.5.

Gurley > Brown

Period.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Don't know how one could justify AB getting OPOY instead of Gurley. Todd had more yards and way more touchdowns.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I agree with many of you. Gurley should be hands down winner of either/both OPOY and MVP. Certainly not Brown. I also think Keemun is not getting enough love.