Florio on Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[flv]http://msnbc.vo.llnwd.net/e1/video/flash/s_nbc_nfl_pftlivefloriofisher_120105.flv[/flv]

paceram

Pro Bowler
Wow - It sure doesn't sound like Florio is very impressed with Fisher. But, like he said there really doesn't seem to be anyone better out there. After the Rams experiments with Assistant Coaches I am not real sure they want to take that route again (and, I don't blame them!) and I just don't know if there are any other former Head Coaches that are any better than Fisher or any other formed Head Coaches (Gruden, Cowher, Billick, etc) that are interested in coaching again (or, at least not with the Rams). Personally, I think Fisher is the Rams best option!

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Alex Marvez (through Mike Florio's retelling, in the video clip) touched on an excellent point that few other media sources have brought up -- if Ross wants a high-flying aerial offense, why the hell is he courting Jeff Fisher? It's just not a good fit.

bluecoconuts

Legend
HeiseNBerg said:
Alex Marvez (through Mike Florio's retelling, in the video clip) touched on an excellent point that few other media sources have brought up -- if Ross wants a high-flying aerial offense, why the hell is he courting Jeff Fisher? It's just not a good fit.

Interesting, given the Rams moves last year you'd think they wanted a high-flying aerial offense as well. If we get Jeff Fisher we better find another Steven Jackson who's only 22-23 to build around.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
bluecoconuts said:
HeiseNBerg said:

Interesting, given the Rams moves last year you'd think they wanted a high-flying aerial offense as well. If we get Jeff Fisher we better find another Steven Jackson who's only 22-23 to build around.

THIS! This team is not built for smashmouth football at this point!! Hell, this team is barely built for football at ALL right now. Go get Blackmon and some OL help and lets whip the ball around. I would rather lose 41-34 than 31-10.....

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Faceplant said:
bluecoconuts said:
HeiseNBerg said:

THIS! This team is not built for smashmouth football at this point!! Hell, this team is barely built for football at ALL right now. Go get Blackmon and some OL help and lets whip the ball around. I would rather lose 41-34 than 31-10.....
Right, this pursuit of Fisher makes no sense to me given the make-up of the team and the current rule-shifts to promote point scoring offenses.

Until we figure out what we are, and what we want to be, we're going to continue be at the mercy of the most recent coach hiring and their personal preferences.

It's the tail wagging the dog until things change.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
interference said:
Faceplant said:
bluecoconuts said:
HeiseNBerg said:

Right, this pursuit of Fisher makes no sense to me given the make-up of the team and the current rule-shifts to promote point scoring offenses.

Until we figure out what we are, and what we want to be, we're going to continue be at the mercy of the most recent coach hiring and their personal preferences.

I remember when Spags was hired, him and Devaney said they wanted to build a power running attack like the Giants and then they hired Josh Mcdaniels, so you could say " here we go again " but none of us know how flexible Fisher is or who he will bring with him as OC. However if Fisher really is hell bent on smashmouth football all they need to do is sign a couple road graders for the o-line and draft Trent Richardson.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think a big part of the Josh experiment was that 1- We have Bradford, someone who is capable of being one of those elite QB's in my eye, and 2- the smashmouth football is a dying style... There are some teams that can run it, and run it very well. However it's not a coincidence that the favorites to read/win the Super Bowl (Saints, Packers, Patriots) are teams that are high flying teams.

That's what worries me the most really, I think our team right now is stuck in this limbo of who we want to be on offense (and possibly now on defense)... We need to pick one or the other. Personally, the way the NFL is leaning towards being able to score a lot of points really fast, I think we need to pick a high octane style. That also works well since we have Jackson who is in the back nine, and Bradford who is just teeing off.

Of course those are just my opinions. At this point, above all else, I want to know who our team is going to be moving forward.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

at this stage i don't care what type of footbal the rams play as long as they learn how to win. there's nothing boring about winning.

once they learn how to win they can think about becoming superbowl contenders and tweak the team as such.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
bluecoconuts said:
I think a big part of the Josh experiment was that 1- We have Bradford, someone who is capable of being one of those elite QB's in my eye, and 2- the smashmouth football is a dying style... There are some teams that can run it, and run it very well. However it's not a coincidence that the favorites to read/win the Super Bowl (Saints, Packers, Patriots) are teams that are high flying teams.

That's what worries me the most really, I think our team right now is stuck in this limbo of who we want to be on offense (and possibly now on defense)... We need to pick one or the other. Personally, the way the NFL is leaning towards being able to score a lot of points really fast, I think we need to pick a high octane style. That also works well since we have Jackson who is in the back nine, and Bradford who is just teeing off.

Of course those are just my opinions. At this point, above all else, I want to know who our team is going to be moving forward.
It's really ironic that the GSOT was at the forefront of the modern high flying offense, and now here we are trying to figure out how to compete against similar high flying offenses while contemplating our 2nd smashmouth coach in a row.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cullen Bryant said:
interference said:

I remember when Spags was hired, him and Devaney said they wanted to build a power running attack like the Giants and then they hired Josh Mcdaniels, so you could say " here we go again " but none of us know how flexible Fisher is or who he will bring with him as OC. However if Fisher really is hell bent on smashmouth football all they need to do is sign a couple road graders for the o-line and draft Trent Richardson.
This. And that.

Maybe this is Kroenke's vision? To be a physical team? If it's not, and he's leaving it up to the whims of the coaches he hires, then we're going to struggle to have an identity for as long as he's owner. If it's the former, then I would LOVE IT if the Rams were to become the team that put the whole "this is a QB league" and "high flying offenses rule the NFL" thing to bed. Permanently. Imagine that? You can score all the points in the world, but if you play the Rams, you better bring your A-game. And then some. Like the Giants putting the clamps on the Patriots during the Superbowl. If the Rams could do that to every offense, I would be a happy man.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
Cullen Bryant said:
interference said:

This. And that.

Maybe this is Kroenke's vision? To be a physical team? If it's not, and he's leaving it up to the whims of the coaches he hires, then we're going to struggle to have an identity for as long as he's owner. If it's the former, then I would LOVE IT if the Rams were to become the team that put the whole "this is a QB league" and "high flying offenses rule the NFL" thing to bed. Permanently. Imagine that? You can score all the points in the world, but if you play the Rams, you better bring your A-game. And then some. Like the Giants putting the clamps on the Patriots during the Superbowl. If the Rams could do that to every offense, I would be a happy man.
I don't like the idea of being a "smash mouth team" given the team's circumstances. They play indoors on turf. They should try to be a high flying team, more speed and finesse than smashmouth.

Besides, I think the Rams unfairly got a lot of bad calls against them, because they play smash mouth and out physical other teams. On the fly it looks like the Rams are man handling the other team, where they are just using their greater physicality and strength against them. It's not fair, but I think the smash mouth teams like the Rams, the Lions, etc. get unfairly punished.