Fix the line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
T.J. Clemmings...problem solved. :D

White would be a great consolation prize...but I am hoping for Jameis or T.J. Clemmings on draft day.

Without a doubt on Clemmings. He alone could probably drastically improve line play. But if he blows up the combine and teams love him......he could be long gone. Bunch of teams in front of us need O-Line in a bad way as well and other than the QB-needy teams, I see a run on the blue chip lineman.

But damned if we trade back to miss White, o-line or not. Dude will be a wonderful stud and next year is the last of Quick's rookie deal no? Can't have enough big, kickass WRs anyway.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
After two knee injuries; I'm leery of sticking with Jake Long.

When on the field he's been a good tackle. Sure he's not been the dominant player we saw as a younger player... but if he was healthy we'd bring him back without question.

But; he's not a healthy player any more.

Jake's career sort of reminds me of Orlando Pace; dominate player... But once the injuries struck the career ended quickly (and too early).

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
We mainly need a left guard and a center. Barksdale was fine when Saffold was next to him and Saffold was better there as well. I don't want Joseph here at all. He is terrible!
They other question that needs answering is, what do they do with Long? Can he still play? And if so, where?

Get the best 5 OL on the field. If Long is willing to come back, he's one. So is Barksdake if the Rams can sign him. Add Saffold and Robinson and any of these guys can play any of the OL positions other than C.

That leaves the Rams with only the one question of C... where you have Rainey, Jones, Barnes and perhaps a draft pick or a free agent battle it out.

If Barksdale is not re-signed, RT goes to Long.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I remember a time where OLine coaches would develop a lower drafted or even undrafted player and mold him into a solid starter. But, now it seems that it's all about free agency and high draft choices........for the Rams. For goodness sakes. Seattle can spend a 7th round selection on a DT and switch him to OG and mold him into a solid player.
I remember that too Memphis. Rams had a great history of that decades ago 70'& 80's. Since the arrival of Boudreau very early in 2012 I know of no Ram lower drafted OL'er who has been molded into a solid starter....Zero! Then there's Raiders drafted Joe Barksdale who was a WWC Barksdale would be the only close example of a solid starter that's even debatable since Boudreau's arrival. Like you said Wells (2012) Long(2013) & Joseph(2014) =UFA's. Then like you said Robinson & Saffold both high draft choices. A possible 2015 UFA signing would be current WWC OT/OG/OC Mike Person who has now been groomed by Boudreau since Sept 2013. Person has been for all purposes Boudreau 6th OL'er this season. I think its highly probable that he will be signed back but not to be a candidate solid starter unless its at starting center(that's possible).
I can't help but to believe that some non-starter on the Rams roster has got to be able to be developed in to a solid starter, but hasn't been given a chance.
If there's a post that might be an example of the above Memphis.... I believe this could happen with the center post. Tim Barnes UDFA (who will enter Free Agency but as a RFA) has been around Boudreau since early 2012 if retained would fall into non starter that should be developed into a solid starter. Followed By contracted 2015 Rams third day draft choices Jones (2013) & Rhaney (2014). Another WWC worth mentioning is Rams Travis Bond who is just a one post player that is where UFA Davin Joseph has started Right OG. Bond may move into Brandon Washington's roster spot in 2015 if there remains a large hole @ ORG.

Guess the your main point is to have a OL coach in place who can GROOM, Coach Up, Raise Up good character, stout, healthy strong & smart UDFA's, 3rd day draft selections & WWC's inside our ball club in order or so high draft selections can be utilized better for the play-makers & game changers Best Pick Available types instead of mandated critical needs picks! Our Rams team gets a bold "Needs To Greatly Improve" grade the past three yrs in this area.o_O

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So we are going to get onto Boudreau for not developing Rok Watkins, Barrett Jones, Mitchell Van Dyk, and Demetrius Rhaney into starters? Watkins didn't care enough to condition himself and flamed out on another team. Jones has battled injuries, however he is the one guy I want to see more from. Van Dyk was a late seventh rounder and Rhaney is hurt.

At one point Boudreau was stuck with Wayne Hunter, Quinn Ojinnakka, Robert Turner, Harvey Dahl, and Barry Richardson as his starters. That's one of the worst collections of talent ever. He got castoffs like Shelley Smith and Chris Williams nice contracts. I mean what have we really given Boudreau. Give the guy some talent.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
After two knee injuries; I'm leery of sticking with Jake Long. When on the field he's been a good tackle. Sure he's not been the dominant player we saw as a younger player... but if he was healthy we'd bring him back without question. But; he's not a healthy player any more.Jake's career sort of reminds me of Orlando Pace; dominate player... But once the injuries struck the career ended quickly (and too early).

Most will agree with this CGI. Paying 10.5 mil in 2015 for a sub average worn down declining OLT would be BAD cap $$$ management . Rams Org. Should NOT even considered such a thing. Period! Just take the 2.5 million cap hit in 2015 & move on down the road. Save the 8 million in cap space! But this has to be said with the above. Rams fans & even the Ram Org have to be reminded that this OL has big HOLES in it. Add the immobile seriously damaged brittle Sam Bradford's return to Rams starting QB looks highly probable. Why Bradford???? due to there are NO good options available in the foreseeable future to this Rams team in 2015.

So back to Jake Long..... even with a bad weakened damaged knee has some skills still remaining to offer up somewhere on a overall hole ridden OL unit. The big #1 question is what will Jake Long cost to retained if he was offered a much lower contract to play one season as a possible starter @ OLG or ORT or if he is really unhealthy as the top reserve swing OT. I still think that Jake Long who has been earlier in his career a larger 6-7 335 pound hulk could use his still remaining experience & skills @ LEFT OG next to OLT Greg Robinson. Jake Long is one outstanding run blocker. What would it cost? Will there be a better option available to the Rams & what would that option cost?

Jake & his wife have been so very fortunate to have a long period of time with access too mega high dollar $$$$$ contracts ! Does Jake Long cherish remaining in StLouis? Or could he go elsewhere to a winning team who has a chance of a SB ring? This Jake Long show saga will be coming to us in this off season I guess after March 7 2015. All an Unknown.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I like the idea of a vet like Saffold next to Robinson on the line but Saffold at RG was a revelation last year. I suspect that he and Barksdale had really good chemistry too and we'd get a two-fer bonus having them play next to each other. I wonder if they can figure out a way to have a vet play next to Robinson next year and have Saffold back at RG.

Center is such an issue, I don't even know where to start. I think it's a pipe dream to think that Jones or Rhaney are the answer (hope I'm wrong!)

fearsomefour

Legend
"Problem with Saffold is he is never healthy. "

He has missed very little time this year. If he has his shoulder fixed this offseason maybe he will avoid any longterm time issues going forward. The game tomorrow is key for him....no injuries please that will cause a problem this offseason..

Memphis Ram

Legend
So we are going to get onto Boudreau for not developing Rok Watkins, Barrett Jones, Mitchell Van Dyk, and Demetrius Rhaney into starters? Watkins didn't care enough to condition himself and flamed out on another team. Jones has battled injuries, however he is the one guy I want to see more from. Van Dyk was a late seventh rounder and Rhaney is hurt.

At one point Boudreau was stuck with Wayne Hunter, Quinn Ojinnakka, Robert Turner, Harvey Dahl, and Barry Richardson as his starters. That's one of the worst collections of talent ever. He got castoffs like Shelley Smith and Chris Williams nice contracts. I mean what have we really given Boudreau. Give the guy some talent.

So even if there are better OLine coach options who can also serve as running game coordinator available, the Rams should simply stick with Boudreau?

FRO

Legend
So even if there are better OLine coach options who can also serve as running game coordinator available, the Rams should simply stick with Boudreau?
If there are better options, then I'm for it. Acting like Boudreau is a problem, is disingenuous. Who hasn't he developed that he should have?

Memphis Ram

Legend
If there are better options, then I'm for it. Acting like Boudreau is a problem, is disingenuous. Who hasn't he developed that he should have?

No one has said that Boudreau is a problem. I merely pointed out how the sentiment seems to be that the team must spend high draft choices or free agent dollars to build an successful OLine when that shouldn't be the case.

FRO

Legend
No one has said that Boudreau is a problem. I merely pointed out how the sentiment seems to be that the team must spend high draft choices or free agent dollars to build an successful OLine when that shouldn't be the case.
I agree with that, but right now it's the biggest black hole on our team (my opinion). Once you build an established line then you stock the back end with mid and late round picks every year to develop into starters. We need better players now, we don't have time to develop guys. That's why we need to draft offensive linemen early.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I agree with that, but right now it's the biggest black hole on our team (my opinion). Once you build an established line then you stock the back end with mid and late round picks every year to develop into starters. We need better players now, we don't have time to develop guys. That's why we need to draft offensive linemen early.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I've got no problem with drafting OLinemen early if they are clearly the BPA. But, IMO, this team would be making a mistake going into draft with a let's take the highest rated Oline or bust mindset.